IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

I sprung for one of those "mini" NES Advantages the other day. Saw them at Fry's and figured, "Why not?" That's about the only way to get an "official" second controller at this point.

Of course then I found a Wii Classic Controller at a thrift store soon after. Oh well. Both work like a charm.

I go day by day for those without, it stings less. :)

I feel bad for people who can't get one. And here's me wishing I could find a 2nd to hack the hell out of it and see what I could make stick. The videos I've seen N64 and under is possible, and using a Wii wired pro/classic controller so many doors open up its sick such a teeny package could do so much within the allowed storage limits.

Pathetic isn't it? Round ? Scalpers 1 - Consumers 0

You'd of hated what I did when an online order that I placed at Wal-Mart when they opened, but seriously didn't think would be honored since everyone was talking about how difficult it was and I just went to Wal-Mart.com and ordered one with no hassles, ended up coming through back in November.

I was so certain I'd be cancelled before it arrived since it had been too easy since orders had been opened for hours when I tried to get one, that I showed up 20 minutes before 6 on launch day at a nearby Wal-Mart and got one in person to be certain. I even offered my possible online order to someone in this thread at cost on the off chance it would ship after I grabbed one in person, but never saw a response.

So on Ebay it went when it showed up and it has so far paid for the first five seasons of The Andy Griffith Show, Yoshi's Woolly World for the Wii U, and a fair bit is still left after expenses like the cost of the system itself. I figure I wasn't out to do this, and even tried to be the nice guy to help a fellow AtariAger out, but I lucked out and it just didn't make sense to just return it to Wal-Mart when they were going for $200 on Ebay left and right.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Funny how my Mini Classic is now the most 'expensive' console I own...

Here you can buy them for €169,- (=$179,-) (Was €179,-, they give €10,- discount!): https://www.conrad.nl/nl/nintendo-nintendo-classic-incl-controller-incl-30-games-1491304.html

This is getting ridiculous.

Edited by roland p

Hah shelf stock, crazy.

Atari--Not really it's your choice. You got lucky and it worked out. Personally I wouldn't do it as I don't like to scalp new goods people deserve a retail right to without the second hand up charge, but being mad over it is kind of pointless. I've said it before, just wish Amazon and eBay along with other places that sell after market goods on their website would get a backbone and ban the sales of resold modern brand new goods. That would curb that shit pretty fast outside of local cragislist trolling, but it would put a serious dent into it lasting on a local level if you're shut out of the national/global level by those outlets.

Makes you wonder, if amazon and ebay's CEOs got together, decided to do just that, how much of a pain it would put scalpers into across the board on any brand new goods. Sure you could argue they'd have a loss of some profit from their cut, but I'd wonder if people being pleased they ruined those types days would be offset in additional sales anyway. I mean like if those two did it I'd buy far more from amazon than I do now if anything beyond the ease of it being mailed as a thank you.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Hah shelf stock, crazy.

Atari--Not really it's your choice. You got lucky and it worked out. Personally I wouldn't do it as I don't like to scalp new goods people deserve a retail right to without the second hand up charge, but being mad over it is kind of pointless. I've said it before, just wish Amazon and eBay along with other places that sell after market goods on their website would get a backbone and ban the sales of resold modern brand new goods. That would curb that shit pretty fast outside of local cragislist trolling, but it would put a serious dent into it lasting on a local level if you're shut out of the national/global level by those outlets.

Makes you wonder, if amazon and ebay's CEOs got together, decided to do just that, how much of a pain it would put scalpers into across the board on any brand new goods. Sure you could argue they'd have a loss of some profit from their cut, but I'd wonder if people being pleased they ruined those types days would be offset in additional sales anyway. I mean like if those two did it I'd buy far more from amazon than I do now if anything beyond the ease of it being mailed as a thank you.

Seriously, the "scalpers" aren't the problem. Sure, they buy up a good portion of the available inventory out on the market, then stick it up for sale with an inflated price. Guess what?... people STILL buy them. Even when they KNOW the original retail price is $59.99. If NOBODY bought them from the "scalpers"... then the scalpers would have no incentive to sell them, the prices would normalize, and then everyone would be happy.

Consumers are free to not purchase things. The scalpers aren't forcing anyone to do anything.

Why would eBay ever restrict any "second-hand upcharges"? Why make the fees off of a $59.99 item when that same item can sell for $200 in the current market? Again, eBay isn't forcing anyone to buy anything. eBay is a website with market driven prices (yes, even the "Buy It Now" listings are market driven, as items won't sell if they're priced too high). The consumers will decide how much they want to pay... and eBay will make a bunch more money if the consumer is willing to pay $200 for a $60 item (in other words, you'll never see eBay restrict second-hand price increases on current production goods).

The only time you'll see that "scalpers" move on to something else is when it isn't worth their time to sell an item. When the NES Classic isn't getting much more than $100, the scalpers will likely relent. There isn't much profit from $100 when the item is $60 + sales tax and about $15 in eBay fees.

Edited by Retro-Z
  • Like 3

Seriously, the "scalpers" aren't the problem. Sure, they buy up a good portion of the available inventory out on the market, then stick it up for sale with an inflated price. Guess what?... people STILL buy them. Even when they KNOW the original retail price is $59.99. If NOBODY bought them from the "scalpers"... then the scalpers would have no incentive to sell them, the prices would normalize, and then everyone would be happy.

Consumers are free to not purchase things. The scalpers aren't forcing anyone to do anything.

Why would eBay ever restrict any "second-hand upcharges"? Why make the fees off of a $59.99 item when that same item can sell for $200 in the current market? Again, eBay isn't forcing anyone to buy anything. eBay is a website with market driven prices (yes, even the "Buy It Now" listings are market driven, as items won't sell if they're priced too high). The consumers will decide how much they want to pay... and eBay will make a bunch more money if the consumer is willing to pay $200 for a $60 item (in other words, you'll never see eBay restrict second-hand price increases on current production goods).

The only time you'll see that "scalpers" move on to something else is when it isn't worth their time to sell an item. When the NES Classic isn't getting much more than $100, the scalpers will likely relent. There isn't much profit from $100 when the item is $60 + sales tax and about $15 in eBay fees.

Finally a voice of reason...

I don't see Ebay or "scalpers" as the issue.

Sure there might be some people who are buying up "all" of the Minis and making a few bucks, but more than likely there's a lot more average Joes out there getting lucky, taking the initiative, and making a little dough.

Seriously why would you have any hatred towards Ebay? How many times have you found something you really wanted on Ebay? Especially with regards to the classic video games we are so fond of on this site...Sure, we've all overpaid in the heat of the moment, and sure we've also gotten Great deals on something we couldn't find anywhere else...Is anything better than sniping something at the last second that you've always wanted for your collection? And though I am loathe to admit it, there have been times in the past where I have sold video games from my collection as well as guitars to buy groceries or pay the rent...

When you think of the amount of money moving through Ebay at any given point, the money Ebay is getting from the sale of Minis is miniscule,...Like a drop in the ocean.

If you want to bemoan their fees, be my guest. But like Retro-Z said above, nobody's forcing you to buy anything.

I think we know who the culprit behind the shortages is, and it's not Ebay...

• Like 2

Wow, nice to see 'em on store shelves! Hate it when retailers use those stupid security devices though. Puts indents all over every end of the box. :mad:

If people didn't steal they wouldn't have to do this.

If a store doesn't make a profit they are out of business and people lose there jobs. Just a security observation..... :thumbsup:

I was speaking in ideals not reality. And no it's BOTH sides fault equally. Weak willed desperate patsies who want something some other assclown bought up just to sell to them at a higher rate and both sides enabling the practice to continue. It really just boils down to that. My post was just about an ideal I though which would be funny just making life miserable for those kind of practices online from the 2 by far largest outlets for this stuff and the chumps who buy into it. Ebay/amazon (etc) aren't to blame it's the two parties involved in making it worse for the rest who just have to patiently wait out buying something for the intended price since the maker won't/can't keep up production to cover it. If the stuff were on shelves the garbage would stop no matter what the item.

• Like 2