IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

The REAL game I'm going to regret not having is Final Fantasy 3. We've NEVER got a 'proper' official release of this game in the West. By the time it came out for the DS and now on Steam the game had been 'upgraded' so that it's quite different then the original Famicom version.

Kinda funny.. I was just sitting here tonight starting up the fan-translated FF3 on my new Everdrive, really getting a kick out of finally playing it in it's "true" form on a real console and regular tv. (previous playthroughs over the years were via emulators on various platforms). Then glanced over to these forums and saw this comment. :) And yes you're right.. we'll never get a proper official release of the original famicom version at this rate. But at the same time with all the options available in this day and age, the lack of an official release probably doesn't really matter except maybe for collection purposes.

While the HDMI output on this new device is nice... most everyone here on a board like this one (populated by old video game collectors) should just admit that we're all getting the Classic Mini for the novelty and the cuteness factor of the little NES. Because the truth is while it's nice that it actually plays games for real, the better option is to stick to the regular console and a flashcart for actual game playing without limits . Then leave the Classic Mini where it's probably better suited... to merely be displayed on the shelf as a new collection addition. :lol: Ok yeah I'll plug it in for a few months I'm sure..

post-31-0-20594100-1475294527_thumb.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

NES Mini and Famicom Mini are on my radar, but dang the Fami controllers are tiny! So cute though. I am curious if the Fami controllers are wired internally as Wiimote standard and if they can be spliced into extension cables and made detachable. I would never mutilate a Mini in this fashion, but curious if it would work.

• Like 1

Not sure where you're getting 30 from. Patents are 20 years from date of application or 17 years from approval (whichever is longer) but copyrights last far longer. IIRC it was 90 for a corporation, or author's death plus 70 years for private works. However due to Disney lobbying congress to prevent Steamboat Mickey from going PD, we now have infinite renewal options for corporate owned IP... :roll:

I'm posting what is constitutional, and pre Disney, copyrights were for 14 years with extension for 14 more, which I round to thirty. That's a limited time. What the unconstitutional act of congress outlines now is not.

"Intellectual property" is a legal fiction meant to insure a steady flow of innovations in arts and sciences into the public domain. Not be a perpetual profit center for copyright holders.

I'm not a constitutional scholar and I suspect you aren't either ... in any case, it's not really up to us to interpret (much less enforce) this law. There are better platforms for copyright activism. Taking a look at https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/indexmakes me think I need to write to my representative.

It's interesting to see how it's changed over time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Clause

• Like 2

Found this on the front page of Yahoo news today...

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/m/917a87a6-47e8-34e7-8c05-0174af781ba7/ss_comparison-video-shows.html

Full article:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/10/03/mini-nes-video-shows-emulation-is-far-better-than-the-wii-u/

Yep, expect massive shortages of this thing. I wish these tech articles would stop bragging. Now that this is all over mainstream media, we can't have the nice toys all to ourselves anymore!! :lolblue: :lol:

The title of the full TechnoBuffalo article is "Mini NES video shows emulation is far better than the Wii U". While that is certainly true, it is not perfect judging by the Youtube videos of the product. Certain sound effects are "off" as I detail toward the bottom of this blog entry :

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2016/10/nintendo-mini-mania-redux-classic-mini.html

• Like 2

Kinda gross how they all copypasta the same info, isn't it?

The alternative would be to NOT trust the manufacturer blindly, actually get your hands on the thing, and try it out for yourself. But if someone did that, they wouldn't be first to get those sweet, sweet clicks.

• Like 1

Mike has had second chances. And third and fourth and fifth chances. He's run out of chances. He won't even do the most fundamental basics of an apology and actually answer for what he did, he simply throws someone else under the bus and paints himself as the victim (even when he stole Willie's tabletops, Mike still somehow tried to make himself look like the sap). Mike refuses to engage in dialog anywhere where he cannot control the narrative. Which, of course, is his prerogative... but to me that says he's still not trustworthy, and is still contemptable.

In short: Mike, go rattle your can somewhere else.

• Like 4

Okay, who is this Mike that you are currently posting about? Just asking.

The user Parrothead is Mike Kennedy, a known scammer who attempted to crowd fund 2 million dollars to build a system that never existed. He lied about nearly every aspect of the system and eventually closed the project when he had no one left to shift blame to. He was last seen selling stolen merchandise on eBay.

His latest schtick is retailing the new plug-and-play Retro-Bit systems, which as far as anyone can tell, is a legit business venture and is not suspect at all. As to trusting Mike with your money, that's your call...

• Like 5

Remember kids, there's still a thread for shitting on Mike. No need to piss in other threads as well.

No pre-orders here in Canuckistan either, so it looks like I'll be waiting on stock to get my hands on one of these. I wonder how well Nintendo will keep up with Christmas demand. At $60 this thing is basically in tchotchke territory, and I could see it being an impulse buy for a lot of people.

• Like 4

So anyway, Nintendo Classic Mini ...

it really sounds like they thought this one through. I like the idea of 4 save slots per game. I really like the idea that you can "lock" a save state so it's not easily overwritten or erased. It's almost as if someone at Nintendo likes to play video games or something.

I really don't need one of these ...I have most of the offered titles already, between Virtual Console on Wii U and 3DS ...but gotta love the polish on this.

• Like 5