IGNORED

New 500 owner--display issues

nd2003grad

I need some serious advice.

I've read a whole lot about monitors and TVs with the Amiga 500. I recently acquired one from goaltoss (may his name be forever praised). I currently have three monitors: a very old (not 15khz) flat, a very old (undetermined) HP CRT, and a flat screen TV I bought for 10 bucks (with all inputs). I also bought the VGA/RGB adaptor. I need serious advice as stated!

First, I'm in NTSC world. I know that makes things worse right away.

I want the Amiga for game play.

I'm fortunate to have a store nearby that sells small TVs and old monitors for pennies (read 5-20 bucks). I went there today but no dice on a 15khz multisynch, but DARN CLOSE on the numbers.

I tried the first monitor stupidly. It did nothing.

I tried the CRT. It displayed scrambled and emitted a nice high-pitched noise. I turned it off right away.

I did not try the TV because I'm relying on it for a C64 and a 800XL.

I can't afford something super expensive, and finding a 1084 locally seems unlikely despite being in a pretty big city.

I understand some TV's use 15khz. Not sure on this one; manual doesn't say.

I also understand 520s suck.

What do you all suggest? I really want to use this thing, but since I just had a baby I can be pretty patient. I have tested the 500 and it works just fine on monochrome.

Also...the instructions for the adaptor say to use my AmigaOS "storage" disk. I don't have one of these (got Kickstart and Workbench), is this an issue? Also have a Gotek ready to...um...go.

Hey

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-NEC-AccuSync-LCD71V-17-White-LCD-monitor-/232012938703?hash=item36050c7dcf:g:nL4AAOSw7XZXh9ON

These are listed back on ebay again by the seller. I bought two of them a few months back and they work great with the Amiga/Atari computers.

Just make sure when you order the you send them msg to make sure they send you the 71v models. They by mistake sent me 72v the first time which dont work. But they were super fast to correct the mistake.

post-44952-0-47278500-1469068924_thumb.jpg

Edited by goaltoss

I looked at the photo you had sent me and I already had a watch on that auction, haha! That monitor looks pretty good to me. I'm still interested though if anyone thinks I should try the TV, and/or if I need a "storage" disk...

I'm guessing I'll end up getting a monitor like this one though.

Would you please elaborate on "all inputs" on the flat screen TV? In my experience, even on those TV's that have both SCART and VGA inputs, you usually can't feed a 15 kHz signal on the VGA although the TV nicely accepts a 15 kHz RGB signal on the SCART. In rare cases, the TV might be designed in such way it will sync. A model number might help in your search, but usually I think you'd get a message "signal out of sync" or similar.

Thus, either buying one of the monitors in the eBay link, or perhaps a GB-8xxx board although IMHO they introduce quite a bit of lag.

If you have a VGA monitor in the bunch and you are handy with wiring, then a GBS-8220 will work pretty good...

Ideally you want a monitor that supports the Amiga directly, but in a pinch, the GBS is pretty good.

Just that you have to make your own cable (and case if you want it in a case)...

desiv

What cable do you use? Do you use a scartcable connected to the monitor port? Are you sure you're amiga is in NTSC mode? I have my amiga hooked up to my tv using a scart to monitor cable, and i have no problem running it on my tv. But i live in a Pal region, so scart is pretty common here, don't know if there is some diverence between a Pal scart and a Ntsc scart connector.

SCART is nearly non-existing in North America. Likewise are other forms of analog RGB inputs. Only Japan and Europe had SCART, and the have different pinouts so you should not mix cables. Thus a 1084 or similar monitor is even more desirable than it is in Europe.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...