IGNORED

an unexpected benefit to the F18A...

PeBo

Original (well actually, second generation) TI monitors are starting to show up at relatively decent prices as more people move to VGA compatibility.

A long-time wish-list item for me is finally within reach!

There's just something about seeing that square cube of a monitor sitting atop a colour co-ordinated PEB that makes 4A nostalgia really pop for me!

I'll always have an F18A console (it'll be the one with the nano-PEB and FlashROM99 permanently plugged in), but having a completely original system (PEB/Monitor/Console) was always the plan before I learned about all the cool and groovy new goodies available.

I might actually get there now, since the monitors are becoming less of a holy-grail item. Maybe I'll even rest my and on the top of the monitor and exclaim "This Is The One" just for effect!

• Like 6

Also, while the F18A gives us emulator-quality visuals, 80's programmers often used the artifacting inherent on CRT monitors as an effect in and of itself. The stalagmites and columns on the ground in Parsec is a perfect example. Using the F18A they are single colour lines, whereas on a CRT they are a rainbow of colours because of artifacting.

This was often used by design and is lost with pixel-perfect clarity (which simply did not exist on displays when early 80's software was being created).

Interesting. I had heard something similar before, but I'll take a perfect picture on 99.99% of the programs over the effects of one or two programs that I rarely play anymore. Besides, my old eyeballs don't like the strain of a fuzzy old CRT. In the next year or two I might have to consider putting the TI on the 42" if I continue to use it.

Interesting. I had heard something similar before, but I'll take a perfect picture on 99.99% of the programs over the effects of one or two programs that I rarely play anymore.

Wish I would have kept my old 1040STe files (stupidly threw most of my disk away a few years ago when we downsized our living space). I had a series of NeoDesk medium rez desktop backgrounds (640x200x4), where I could fool the eye into seeing dozens of colours from the available 4 simply by strategically placing dot/colour patterns on the background image.

Artifacting is a tech flaw that when manipulated to ones advantage can result in some truly outstanding effects. And it doesn't exist with the F18A.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that the crystal clear display of the F18A is still awe inspiring (and who could deny the beauty of more than 3 sprites per line or the arcade quality of the F18A version of TI-Scramble (not to mention Mario!)), but I'd recommend also having a good ol' blurry monitor and stock 9918A to really appreciate how well TI programmers (heck, all 80's computer programmers!) took advantage of artifacting to create some spectacular effects from what was essentially a technical limitation of the eras displays.

A vintage computer hobby should encompass all the groovy new toys that are now available AND an appreciation for the simple elegance of original era achievements in equal measure.

• Like 3

I don't think there are very many examples of TI programmers deliberately using artifacting. We never really had anyone back in the day who was pushing the envelope like that. There's the sparkles in Parsec but beyond that... what? :) I'd love to see!

The twinkling stars in Parsec remain using the F18A, so I thought they twinkled by design, not through artifacting (intentional or otherwise). The ground shows (very nice) rainbow-dithering effect only when using the stock 9918A though.

You're right of course, I can't claim that they were planned that way by the TI programmers, but there was simply so much written on the subject back then (I learned my "artifacting tricks" from reading Antic, Compute! and Home Computer magazines) that it would seem strange if programmers weren't taking advantage of it intentionally. Sierra-On-Line's 8 bit Atari version of Wizard and Princess was one game that actually considered it a "feature" that they achieved multiple colours using monochrome hi-rez mode (Graphics 8??? It's been awhile) through dithering.

One thing is certain, low-rez stair-stepping is greatly reduced by the false shadow of an interim colour caused by a composite display.

But beauty IS in the eye of the beholder (good thing too, or I would have remained single my whole life!) and while some of us prefer the authenticity of games on a CRT, I can understand why some prefer the clarity of modern alternatives.

Edited by PeBo
  • Like 2

But beauty IS in the eye of the beholder and while some of us prefer the authenticity of games on a CRT, I can understand why some prefer the clarity of modern alternatives.

Truer words were never spoken! That's one of the cool things about the TI hobby, there can have five guys in the room, but six different opinions. :D I think that's why some guys here have multiple TI setups, they like the new cool stuff, but appreciate the stock/classic stuff as well. There are so many different ways to expand a TI based on personal preferences. I'm of the belief that there is no "RIGHT" way of doing anything, just different ways according to personal preference.

I remember back in 84 or 85 when we found a 13" color TV someone had put in the alley for trash pickup. Replacing the 12" B&W TV with that slightly larger color TV was so exciting! We played Tunnels of Doom most of that summer ;) Using the F18A has provided a similar thrill to me, mainly for the color 80 column text support ;)

Edited by InsaneMultitasker
  • Like 3

I only got my first NTSC console about a month ago (my other consoles have been PAL) and I was surprised to see the extent of the rainbow effect on a TV set. Vertical single pixel lines that are supposed to be white are red, blue, green but never white. Never thought of this before while developing any of my stuff.

In this memo from 1982 Karl Guttag is talking about a rainbowless version of the 9918 that they were testing.

TMS9918--Message on Modification to 9918 from 1982.pdf

• Like 3

Original (well actually, second generation) TI monitors are starting to show up at relatively decent prices as more people move to VGA compatibility.

I might actually get there now, since the monitors are becoming less of a holy-grail item. Maybe I'll even rest my and on the top of the monitor and exclaim "This Is The One" just for effect!

I have received one, and given away two of these monitors at the Chicago Faire. Maybe a good reason the attend. However, that was back when there was always extra hardware being brought for sale or trade. The last few times I went, the piles of hardware were almost non-existent. I hope you get your hands on one! I'm the same way, I always wanted one for my 99/4A and I like the way they look. But these days I can't stand the composite video, too fuzzy for my taste. The picture quality of these little monitors is not really that great, and they are not much more than a TV without a tuner.

I only got my first NTSC console about a month ago (my other consoles have been PAL) and I was surprised to see the extent of the rainbow effect on a TV set. Vertical single pixel lines that are supposed to be white are red, blue, green but never white. Never thought of this before while developing any of my stuff.

In this memo from 1982 Karl Guttag is talking about a rainbowless version of the 9918 that they were testing.

Well NTSC does stand for Never The Same Color

• Like 1