IGNORED

The REALITY poll (TI-99/4A & the significant other/spouse)

Omega-TI

Concerning the spouse / girlfriend  

24 members have voted

1. 1. My spouse seems to hate the TI.

• YES
    • NO
    • N/A - No spouse or significant other
  2. 2. I spend this amount of time devoted to the TI and related activities daily.

• Under one hour
    • 1 - 2 hours
    • 2 - 4 hours
    • More than four hours
    • N/A - For some reason unknown
  3. 3. I spend this amount of time devoted to my spouse or siginificant other daily.

• Under on hour
    • 1 - 2 hours
    • 2 - 4 hours
    • More than four hours
    • NONE - No spouse or significant other
  4. 4. Do you spend more money on your TI than your spouse / significant other?

• YES
    • NO
    • N/A - No spouse or significant other
  5. 5. What do you love more

• TI
    • Spouse or significant other
    • Other
  6. 6. Do you understand the point of this poll?

• YES
    • NO
    • Other

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Sometimes in life we take certain stereotypes as fact, based only on anecdotal evidence.

This TI related poll is to determine once and for all if our wives or girlfriends spouses or significant others just hate our TI's or possibly just the amount of time we caress the computers buttons instead of theirs.

NOTE: This poll has been edited to reflect the current political correctness of the times.

Edited by --- Ω ---
  • Like 1

Mine has known the importance of my TI since about two weeks after we got married 17 years ago. She saw my 99/4 and said that it was old and that I should get rid of it. I turned it over and pointed at some numbers: 0980. She said so what? I said, that means this machine was manufactured in the 9th week of 1980 (about the beginning of March). That makes it about six months older than you are. Guess which one will leave this house first. . .and she has never given up on trying to make me abandon the hobby. There is pretty much no chance of her winning there though, I have way too much fun with my machines. :) I do balance my time and finances to try and keep her happy though. . .now I just need a bigger house so that I can properly set up my entire computer collection (she's been agitating to take over the computer space I do have, so that is becoming a bit more critical).

• Like 3

No women will have me, and, coincidentally, I have 12 Ti-99/4a, 12x Acorn Electrons, about 7x BBC computers, 4 x TRS-80 ( Including one CoCo), 2x Sharp MZ700, and three Raspberry Pi's...hmmm have I missed something.

Not a single Amstrad? Well I think you should turn in your Union Jack!!

• Like 1

She doesn't hate the TI (in fact I think she's happy that I've found a hobby to keep me out of her hair). She definitely doesn't like the money I spend on it, but she's right there, since we're both less than 5 years from retirement, I should be saving not spending on a 35 year old computer.

Cheaper than heroin though, so there's that!

• Like 2

She doesn't hate the TI (in fact I think she's happy that I've found a hobby to keep me out of her hair). She definitely doesn't like the money I spend on it, but she's right there, since we're both less than 5 years from retirement, I should be saving not spending on a 35 year old computer.

The TI is cheaper than a LOT of hobbies! You could always threaten to take up flying! :) The cost of aviation fuel, aircraft rental (if you don't own), lessons, all the fancy new avionics for the cockpit (if you do own), annual checkups, etc. far exceed anything you would ever spend on a TI... even if you bought all your stuff from guys like "isellhomeszach". Heck, even hobbies like Amateur Radio cost much than an item or two for an old TI now and then. So yeah, tell the gal you're getting everything now, before you retire and no longer have the money to burn on everything, because by then you'll have almost everything anyway, so an item or two later as they are released will not be a big deal right? ;)

It's a hobby. Hobbies don't have to be practical. Even a cheapskate like me breaks down and spends more on this obsolete technology than I ever would on a fancy new PC that would do so much more. But hey, a PC is an appliance, a toaster, there is no joy in using a PC... unless it's to get on Atari Age to talk about the TI. ;-)

So spend away buddy!

Sometimes in life we take certain stereotypes as fact, based only on anecdotal evidence.

This TI related poll is to determine once and for all if our wives or girlfriends just hate our TI's or possibly just the amount of time we caress the computers buttons instead of theirs.

i cant answer this poll. no wife or girlfriend and straight.

• Like 2

i cant answer this poll. no wife or girlfriend and straight.

What can I say, I screwed up! :skull:

Right. And this is a rather sexist and chauvinistic poll. Here we have a woman whose boyfriend did not "get" her TI... so he got the boot, instead.

I was just directing the questions to the mostly male audience here. I've not seen TI-Sissy here in months, I had really no idea she was lurking around under the floorboards, otherwise I would have been the proper gentleman and added a question just for her. My bad!

And you're right, she did kick the guy loose! I guess this thing really does work both ways. Funny how the TI can do that. :)

EDIT: The poll has been modified

Edited by --- Ω ---
  • Like 1

The TI is cheaper than a LOT of hobbies!

Try putting two kids through hockey 30 years ago...skates/uniforms they outgrow every year, insanely expensive equipment, and team/ice fees that are through the roof! If they were born today, I would have pushed them into football(soccer) since that is soooo much cheaper, but in the 80's soccer was pretty well non-existent in Canada, so hockey it was.

But it's all relative...cheap hobby or expensive hobby, one can't eat a hobby once the income becomes fixed!

Luckily (for my bank account), I just don't have the space anymore, or I would also be collecting AtariST stuff (The 1040STe was my third computer, but my second computer love affair after the 4A)

My wife has at her desk, her gaming PC, an XBOX360 and a Surface so she doesn't mind my room of 'indulgence'. In fact she sometimes goes in there and plays Monkey Island on the Amiga. So as long as there is room on the shelves for HER software then it's all good.

My TI only comes out once a year at most, so my wife doesn't get much of a chance to hate it. :P Although she might if she knew what I paid for one of the 9" monitors for it... :ponder:

Nah, my wife's actually always been very supportive of my gaming/collecting hobby. Before we were married, she actually had a little collection of her own going (mainly Atari 2600 and SNES stuff), and when she was in college she knew the owners of a little local game shop that would hook her up with stuff. Thrifting, rummage saleing, and game hunting in general was one of our favorite things to do together back then. Of course now we have jobs and no time for that (thrifts have mostly dried up anyway). I get most of my stuff online now, and she doesn't really care what I spend on it as long as the bills are getting paid.

• Like 1

Try putting two kids through hockey 30 years ago...skates/uniforms they outgrow every year, insanely expensive equipment, and team/ice fees that are through the roof! If they were born today, I would have pushed them into football(soccer) since that is soooo much cheaper, but in the 80's soccer was pretty well non-existent in Canada, so hockey it was.

But it's all relative...cheap hobby or expensive hobby, one can't eat a hobby once the income becomes fixed!

Luckily (for my bank account), I just don't have the space anymore, or I would also be collecting AtariST stuff (The 1040STe was my third computer, but my second computer love affair after the 4A)

I feel ya, brother. I just laid down almost 200.00 for socket, chips, capacitors, etc. To build my SuperAMS, rebuild my Corcomp 9900, work with the 4 protoboards, I have, two old, two new.