IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

polybius usb hub kickstarter by numskull:

Numskull Designs is delighted to bring you Polybius, retro gaming’s biggest urban legend. But if you’re reading this… You probably already know that! 

Rumoured to be an addictive arcade game, Polybius appeared first in the early 80’s and allegedly disappeared without a trace… 

Speculation surrounded the game: many believed it was a tool used by the US government to test and recruit potential soldiers, whereas others claimed that it caused seizures or brain aneurysms, some people even thought the CIA was using it to brainwash people. In reality, recent evidence suggests that it was actually an intentional hoax and possibly one of the world's earliest successful viral marketing campaigns.  

64745b7b39cac2f967156c1f15368367_origina

later

Edited by negative1

10 hours ago, negative1 said:

polybius usb hub kickstarter by numskull:

Numskull Designs is delighted to bring you Polybius, retro gaming’s biggest urban legend. But if you’re reading this… You probably already know that! 

Rumoured to be an addictive arcade game, Polybius appeared first in the early 80’s and allegedly disappeared without a trace… 

Speculation surrounded the game: many believed it was a tool used by the US government to test and recruit potential soldiers, whereas others claimed that it caused seizures or brain aneurysms, some people even thought the CIA was using it to brainwash people. In reality, recent evidence suggests that it was actually an intentional hoax and possibly one of the world's earliest successful viral marketing campaigns.  

64745b7b39cac2f967156c1f15368367_origina

later

<checks calendar> ....... definitely not April 1st, right?

Seems a bit judgy about it.  Most of their myarcade made units are the NES titles just hacked, copycatting what Basic Fun did first with their Walmart only LCDs.  I know the both, the NES is fairly faithful to the arcade, and for NES this one runs right, sounds right, and plays right.  I'd say it's a win as it could have easily been messed up, or reprogrammed and done poorly.  Still though, as far as NES hacks go, Rampage is hands down the most awesome considering they re-inserted the missing werewolf.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Seems a bit judgy about it.  Most of their myarcade made units are the NES titles just hacked, copycatting what Basic Fun did first with their Walmart only LCDs.  I know the both, the NES is fairly faithful to the arcade, and for NES this one runs right, sounds right, and plays right.  I'd say it's a win as it could have easily been messed up, or reprogrammed and done poorly.  Still though, as far as NES hacks go, Rampage is hands down the most awesome considering they re-inserted the missing werewolf.

I always prefer the arcade ROMS compared to the NES. I never owned an NES, and never wanted to. Sure there are some good ports on there,

but I will take the arcade version almost every time.

If you're going to sell what looks like an arcade game, why not just include it on there.

later

15 minutes ago, negative1 said:

I always prefer the arcade ROMS compared to the NES. I never owned an NES, and never wanted to. Sure there are some good ports on there,

If you're going to sell what looks like an arcade game, why not just include it on there.

later

That's because just like no Atari 2600 Space Invaders on AtGame's Atari Flashback, it's what the game owner wants, Taito in this case, not anything My Arcade or we want unfortunately!

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, TrekkiELO said:

That's because just like no Atari 2600 Space Invaders on AtGame's Atari Flashback, it's what the game owner wants, Taito in this case, not anything My Arcade or we want unfortunately!

and yet for the data east games, they've done both.

arcade ROMS on some versions, and NES on others, go figure.

later

11 hours ago, negative1 said:

later

Because what you're looking at is the cheapest possible made guts for a novelty desk top toy for kids, and clearly adults looking for an old memory.  The stuff that's driving that is as cheap as you can get, gives them more profit, by going into having the chipset needed and emulator to render various arcade games along with an appropriate scale LCD panel would make it cost more and mean less sales.  They're all about profit and as wide of an amount as possible.  So I get the corner cutting, but even then after doing Rampage, there's clearly room to do more still in the NES scape given they re-added the missing primary content.

I'd expect the usual $100-120 range price tag for actual desk top arcade running hardware such as their own with the DE and Namco mini cabinets and then what SNK and now Sega with that Blast City cabinet are doing.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 11:49 AM, negative1 said:

For the Pac-Man MyArcade unit, it's a shame they went with the crappy dpad/joystick combo.  I'd happily pay $40 for one if it had a joystick like the Space Invaders unit.  It's cool that it's using the arcade rom, but I think the dpad makes all of the MyArcade units look weird, and not like real mini arcade units.

39 minutes ago, Noah98 said:

For the Pac-Man MyArcade unit, it's a shame they went with the crappy dpad/joystick combo.  I'd happily pay $40 for one if it had a joystick like the Space Invaders unit.  It's cool that it's using the arcade rom, but I think the dpad makes all of the MyArcade units look weird, and not like real mini arcade units.

i would argue that none of the myarcade or basic fun, tiny arcade machines look anything like an arcade machine.

only replicade and numskull have been able to get the cabinet shapes right.

besides space invaders, they have been using the same form factor for ages, so they can't change it now.

obviously, not a single person in any of these companies has ever played an actual arcade game, because they're

unplayable for more than 5 minutes at a time. unless you force yourself too. i've been playing several of the games

i'm good at on then namco museum myarcade version, and can do decent, but getting killscreens and such is probably

out of the question.

oh, and space invaders IS NOT using the arcade rom, it's a port, the background is wrong, and the flying saucers don't give

out the right number of points when hit at certain times..

later

My Arcade posted on Twitter that they have an announcement coming with regards to Contra... this is a must get for my collection!  Contra is such a classic (in my opinion) and having a mini arcade version will be awesome!  I guess this also means the introduction to the multi-link cable to play two players.

• Like 1

Sigh... some sad news and some exciting news as well.

Sad news is the Basic Fun Mini Arcade #20 has hit shelves apparently.  It's the 40th Anniversary Pac-Man (Not the blister pack one shown above but rather the WalMart boxed one) and apparently it's #14 with some changes to the cabinet.  That's a sad percentage of 20% of the Basic Fun releases have been PacMan (#1, 7, 14 and now 20).  Maybe one day we get Super PacMan instead of another PacMan.

Now the exciting news... what's Basic Fun Mini Arcade #19?  I would think we will see it appear soon... oh... unless Basic Fun wants to make each 9 a mystery for an extended time... #9 Galaga was a mystery and didn't appear until #13 hit shelves... maybe we have to wait another year?  Nah.. we should be finding out #19 soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King_Salamon said:

Sigh... some sad news and some exciting news as well.

Sad news is the Basic Fun Mini Arcade #20 has hit shelves apparently.  It's the 40th Anniversary Pac-Man (Not the blister pack one shown above but rather the WalMart boxed one) and apparently it's #14 with some changes to the cabinet.  That's a sad percentage of 20% of the Basic Fun releases have been PacMan (#1, 7, 14 and now 20).  Maybe one day we get Super PacMan instead of another PacMan.

Now the exciting news... what's Basic Fun Mini Arcade #19?  I would think we will see it appear soon... oh... unless Basic Fun wants to make each 9 a mystery for an extended time... #9 Galaga was a mystery and didn't appear until #13 hit shelves... maybe we have to wait another year?  Nah.. we should be finding out #19 soon.

Maybe Mappy or Burgertime will be 19?

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 8:55 AM, TrekkiELO said:

Maybe Mappy or Burgertime will be 19?

Although I like those two games,they have both been covered by My Arcade and Tiny Arcade.

Since they just pushed out Pacman for the 4th time,hopefully they surprise us with something those 2 companies didnt.

Although I dont know what!?

1 hour ago, King_Salamon said:

Gauntlet perhaps?  I'm thinking a Midway title of some sort.  I'd love a Xenophobe mini but not the NES version... please.

If it's Midway, I'd like to see a Paperboy mini, but please not the NES version as it didn't have voice!

?

Could be Atari with Missile Command.

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Although I like those two games,they have both been covered by My Arcade and Tiny Arcade.

Since they just pushed out Pacman for the 4th time,hopefully they surprise us with something those 2 companies didnt.

Although I dont know what!?

Arcade Classics, My Arcade and Tiny Arcade have been known to duplicate each other in the past.

Edited by TrekkiELO

7 minutes ago, TrekkiELO said:

Arcade Classics, My Arcade and Tiny Arcade have been known to duplicate each other in the past.

Sure,but that doesnt make it right! 

I did like how Basic Fun mixed it up with Spy Hunter and Mortal Combat.

And now My Arcade is doing Contra, now that's different.