IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

1 hour ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

How's the quality of that stick as far as durability? Think it would break after a year?

It actually seems fairly tough, just not going to open it up to confirm that though.  It has a normal SF2CE style bat head stick to it and mounted onto a metal joystick.  Within it uses an 8 way microswitch pick up to get all the directions just like a full size cabinet would do (buttons too.)  Giving it a pretty firm pull against as far as it goes, it doesn't budge(bend.)

Easy job, don't want to say easy fix, it's not one, it's a middle aged man getting fussy.  I do appreciate it for a couple things.  I've seen the inside and how it is made confirming some quality work there on the joystick and buttons, but that it's also seemingly easier to tear apart than their standard models where you have to damage a little the side art removing it to get to the screws.

If he feels changing button colors will fix his game, he's got psychological problems.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 4:46 PM, ComputerSpaceFan said:

Thank you for the detailed analysis. I've been watching reviews of the SF My Arcade and I'd like to know from a really good SF player how well this cab plays. Much appreciated.

On 4/28/2021 at 10:31 PM, ComputerSpaceFan said:

How's the quality of that stick as far as durability? Think it would break after a year?

I lucked into finding a MyArcade SF2:CE mini-cab over the weekend at my local Target. I play a lot of fighting games on an arcade stick, so I thought I'd weigh in with my thoughts. For a $50 desk novelty toy, the stick is surprisingly good. The stick's microswitches are responsive and I'm able to consistently input quarter-circle and DP motions without difficulty. The negatives are the stick has a very loose feel with a big dead zone. But all-in-all, you're probably not going to feel like you're fighting with the controls playing SF2 on this thing.

• Like 2

@teh_lurv How are you getting used to it?  I keep trying and I'm having bad luck being consistent with the fireball, and the dragon punch really is an issue.  Charge backs don't seem very consistent either.  I mean I'm only poking at it here or there as it is an actual work/fun desk toy (to the left of me here) but it's not improving much.  It get a bit demoralizing knowing if I had a full size stick or a SNES controller I could destroy some fighters where now I hang on or lose.

Just when you thought your wallet was safe… here comes Taito to empty it anew. They announced the Egret II mini, a mini arcade machine that like the real Egret II includes a rotatable display!

Taito arcade games of the mid to late 80s and early 90s are about my favorite arcade games of the era, so I would give my eye teeth for this. Look at the lineup that has been released so far:

• Space Invaders 
  • Lunar Rescue 
  • Qix
  • Elevator Action
  • Chack’n Pop
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Rastan Saga
  • Rainbow Islands Extra
  • New Zealand Story
  • Don Doko Don
  • Violence Fight
  • Cadash
  • Liquid Kids
  • Metal Black
  • Kaiser Knuckle
  • and more

Yeah, there is no chance I will pass this thing up.

But wait! There’s more money they’re going to take! There are the obligatory extra pad and stick, yes, but there is also a paddle and trackball controller. That controller comes with an SD card with 10 more games.

• Strike Bowling
  • Arkanoid
  • Plump Pop
  • Syvalion
  • Cameltry
  • Arkanoid Returns
  • and four more

How much will all this set you back? From The Verge:

The cabinet itself costs 18,678 yen (~$170), the expansion controller is 12,078 yen ($110), the extra arcade stick is 8,778 yen ($80), and the gamepad is $3,278 yen ($30). There’s also a 49,478-yen ($450) limited bundle that includes everything plus some extras like soundtrack CDs, and a 32,978-yen ($300) bundle that excludes the arcade stick and the gamepad.

This is coming next March, so start saving your pennies now.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Just when you thought your wallet was safe… here comes Taito to empty it anew. They announced the Egret II mini, a mini arcade machine that like the real Egret II includes a rotatable display!

Taito arcade games of the mid to late 80s and early 90s are about my favorite arcade games of the era, so I would give my eye teeth for this. Look at the lineup that has been released so far:

• Space Invaders 
  • Lunar Rescue 
  • Qix
  • Elevator Action
  • Chack’n Pop
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Rastan Saga
  • Rainbow Islands Extra
  • New Zealand Story
  • Don Doko Don
  • Violence Fight
  • Cadash
  • Liquid Kids
  • Metal Black
  • Kaiser Knuckle
  • and more

But wait! There’s more money they’re going to take! There are the obligatory extra pad and stick, yes, but there is also a paddle and trackball controller. That controller comes with an SD card with 10 more games.

• Strike Bowling
  • Arkanoid
  • Plump Pop
  • Syvalion
  • Cameltry
  • Arkanoid Returns
  • and four more

I wonder if it will have VOLFIED?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 10:24 AM, Tanooki said:

@teh_lurv How are you getting used to it?  I keep trying and I'm having bad luck being consistent with the fireball, and the dragon punch really is an issue.  Charge backs don't seem very consistent either.  I mean I'm only poking at it here or there as it is an actual work/fun desk toy (to the left of me here) but it's not improving much.  It get a bit demoralizing knowing if I had a full size stick or a SNES controller I could destroy some fighters where now I hang on or lose.

I'm not sure if I can articulate how I good used to it. I just found motion inputs pretty easy to consistently pull off on the stick. I did go back and tried Guile since you mentioned charge motions. I did have some initial difficulty accidently back-flipping or booms not coming out due to how loose and floppy the stick is. Once I made a mental note to give the stick a tighter hold and bigger shove, I was able to consistently fire off booms and flash-kicks.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:07 PM, negative1 said:

disassembling the street fighter 2 and fixing the buttons to the right colors:

later

And of course one of his arcade examples @ 1:18 is a different button color order. Kind of undermines his whole point. 

10 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

• Space Invaders 
  • Lunar Rescue 
  • Qix
  • Elevator Action
  • Chack’n Pop
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Rastan Saga
  • Rainbow Islands Extra
  • New Zealand Story
  • Don Doko Don
  • Violence Fight
  • Cadash
  • Liquid Kids
  • Metal Black
  • Kaiser Knuckle
  • and more

• Strike Bowling
  • Arkanoid
  • Plump Pop
  • Syvalion
  • Cameltry
  • Arkanoid Returns
  • and four more

Hopefully Limited Run games or someone else makes this available in North America.  That's how I acquired my Astro City mini,and there is no doubt I want this machine!

Hopefully other companies continue to put their old games out like this,such as Midway etc.

Awesome!!!?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NE146 said:

Wonder what games would use the trackball & dial control.. heck the only old Taito game that I can think of that used a trackball is Marine Date. I used to play that game a ton but it probably hasn't aged too well :lol:

well, all the games that come with the controller use them:

• Strike Bowling
  • Arkanoid
  • Plump Pop
  • Syvalion
  • Cameltry
  • Arkanoid Returns
  • and four more

i am getting conflicting information about syvalion, some say its a trackball control for a shooter.

others say its a joystick. but why would it be included with this if it didn't use a trackball.

it was a japanese release only.

later

• Like 2

5 hours ago, teh_lurv said:

And of course one of his arcade examples @ 1:18 is a different button color order. Kind of undermines his whole point. 

Yeah, but it's easy enough to get attached to rwb order, and it isn't difficult to perform, so I'll probably do exactly what he did whenever I can get one of these. I never spent much time with sf2 in the arcades, but I got hooked on that unofficial-but-official 'rwb' order in an indirect way, from spending a lot of time with my (superstick) arcade controller. 

Arcade cabinets are custom enough that they all develop their own quirks, and rwb isn't the only answer by a long shot, but it's probably still the 'most correct' answer.  

the polybius charger is going to be released:

https://numskull.com/polybius-quarter-arcade-cabinet-charger/

Polybius-Arcade-QA-1.jpg

• Polybius – ¼ scale replica of the mysterious 1980s Polybius cabinet that never existed (or did it?)
  • Power to unit – supplied with Universal Power with adaptors for international usage and features 10 USB 2.0 – Universal Serial Bus (USB) standard hubs to power up all your other Quarter Arcades.
  • Approx dimensions: 43cm/16.92 inches (Height) x 21cm/8.25 inches (Depth) x 15.7cm/6.3 inches (Width)

later

• Haha 2

1943 overhaul edition:

https://newwavetoys.com/products/1943-x-replicade-overhaul-edition

featured-mobile

1943 X REPLICADE OVERHAUL EDITION

New Wave™ is proud to present our next addition to the RepliCade family, 1943 x RepliCade Overhaul Edition! 1943 x RepliCade Overhaul Edition is a miniaturized 1/6th scale replica of the CAPCOM 1943 arcade machine presented by New Wave™! This Dynamo Overhaul cabinet features two fully playable, classic arcade games designed by Yoshiki Okamoto: 1942 and 1943: The Battle of Midway. Our 1943 Overhaul Edition features a battle-scarred diecast coin door and security bar, a mini bat-top joystick, microswitch buttons, yellow T-molding, customizable operator dipswitch settings, and a bonus 1943 Mini Arcade Stick included in rear storage compartment! 1943 x RepliCade Overhaul Edition is officially licensed by Capcom.

SIZED FOR COLLECTORS

Our 1943 x RepliCade Dynamo cabinet measures 12"H x 5"W x 4.5"D and weighs 3.0 lbs. This 1/6th scale machine matches your 12-inch collectible figures and fits perfectly on your bookshelf, bar or desk. 

PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS

Every detail in these amazing works of arcade art has been painstakingly reproduced, including the wood cabinet, illuminated marquee & cabinet accents, battle-scarred diecast coin door and security bar, mini bat-top joystick, microswitch buttons, yellow T-molding, and professionally reproduced cabinet art printed on high quality 3M vinyl overlays.  

AUTHENTIC GAMEPLAY

1943 x ReplICade plays just like the arcade classic with PlayScale Control Panel featuring mini bat-top joystick and microswitch action buttons. The cab also features premium LCD color screen in 3:4 aspect ratio and our signature amplified multi-speaker audio reproduction with volume control for an authentic arcade experience. The Arcade Operator Dip Switch menu allows you to set game difficulty, add scan lines, and more.

OFFICIALLY LICENSED BY CAPCOM

1943 x RepliCade Overhaul Edition is officially licensed by Capcom and features the original cabinet artwork and both 1942 and 1943: Battle of Midway arcade ROMs.

looks cool.

later

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, thanatos said:

After seeing the Tempest and Centipede Replicades for $399 and $599 at Vintage Stock last weekend, I just checked eBay, and glad I got me a Tempest.  Neat!

Both tempest and centipede have firmware upgrades. Tempest had a problem with spinner sensitivity.

centipede had a problem with charging.

i bought one, and the trackball gave out after a few months. i have tempest too, but only played it a few

times up to about 250k, and haven't touched it since. even with the larger spinner, its impossible to play

because the fire button is not sensitive enough.

these machines look good, but play terrible, and aren't built to last.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

So kind of dumb luck, but went into this close by overstock/returns style store, and bumped into what was supposed to be an overstock new arcade1up countertop for Galaga, figures, when I got home, it had a high score on it and a missing manual, but whatever $60 is a good price.

I was wondering, is there a way to purge the high scores off the thing other than just doing better?  Galaga 88 has a fairly high score on it, not familiar but barely with that so it's a bit grating.  I've also been told you can get some kind of $25~ kit for this so you can rig a Pi up to the thing, and it'll just use the 3 buttons it already has to run various vertical arcade games.  There some truth to this or better yet, links to the kit and pi exactly?  I can't hardware mod this, like boring out holes and adding buttons, it would look like crap and I'd ruin it.  Or better off leaving it alone?

• Like 1