IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

Does anyone know if there's a fourth game hidden on the Galaga/Frogger/Dig Dug units?

Wow....sounds like a glowing review, straight from somebody who got the whole range for free. How do you spell 'shill' again? Oh well. If I only watched this video, I think I would have bit. Thank God for AA.

edit: ok, just watched the whole thing...lol, maybe not 'so' glowing, but still better than what I would have said about them.

Edited by atarilovesyou

I'm a fan of the Arcade Mini's for sure.. I like that they're not simply NES games repackaging, and especially that they're tiny & cute! You can have a whole arcade line on a shelf. Sure their gameplay may be lacking in some ways, but if your beef is to play "accurate" emulated versions of any of those games.. that's obviously easy enough to do elsewhere in so many other ways... just fire up Mame and go to town.

The way I see it, the last non-console/emulated handheld port of Dig-Dug I played, looked like this, and I still loved it. :lol:

vUb6eE9.jpg

I'm getting the entire set man. :)

Edited by NE146
  • Like 3

Wow....sounds like a glowing review, straight from somebody who got the whole range for free. How do you spell 'shill' again? Oh well. If I only watched this video, I think I would have bit. Thank God for AA.

edit: ok, just watched the whole thing...lol, maybe not 'so' glowing, but still better than what I would have said about them.

Um, you are confusing me with the reviewer? I did buy them all from the first series. As far as I'm concerned, only Galaxian had game breaking bugs.

I played my unit and found some issues beyond the "can't move while shooting" bug. There's also the "respawn immediately instead of wait for enemies to return to formation" bug, and the "cannot move ship after destroying the last enemy" bug. In the former, it is an instant kill if your ship respawns in the path of an enemy ship or projectile. In the latter, your ship freezes after you defeat the last enemy, however onscreen projectiles can still kill you before the next stage is drawn. These cheap deaths are unavoidable, and starting with three lives makes it rather difficult to play into the game when the cheap deaths creep up everywhere. Games can be difficult without being unfair. Galaxian Tiny Arcade is just unfair...

I simply posted a question.

The original series had four games, identical pcbs with four unique roms selectable by a permanent solder pad on the motherboard. The games can be made selectable by changing the jumper or attaching to a switch or the joystick.

Since the second series has only three games, it stands to reason that they may share common hardware with the first series. It is plausible that a fourth unannounced game might be present on this circuit board. I just postulated the question to see if anyone had tampered with theirs yet or installed the joystick / dip switch mod.

$25ea. on Amazon for the latest Tiny Arcades - ouch! Will be heading to Walmart today to see if they can be had for <$20, like the original four.

And yeah, I too was wondering if there was a fourth offering in the works. Can't wait to see what they come up with next. Some more obscure stuff would sure be welcome.

-edit-

Checked WahMah today and nothing. Just a small handful of the original four left. :(

$25ea. on Amazon for the latest Tiny Arcades - ouch! Will be heading to Walmart today to see if they can be had for <$20, like the original four.

And yeah, I too was wondering if there was a fourth offering in the works. Can't wait to see what they come up with next. Some more obscure stuff would sure be welcome.

-edit-

Checked WahMah today and nothing. Just a small handful of the original four left. :(

Cracker Barrel might get some in heading into the holiday season. I bought my Pacman there last year. I may acquire the Galaga unit and attempt the joystick mod on it. Assuming it is wired like the original four, there might be a "hidden" game on it not yet available at retail.

Here is a decent review of the 1/6 replicade centipede.

NOTE : it is close, but not quite as realistic as the arcade, the buttons aren't quite in the right place, etc etc.

you would think they would get the details right for the price, but oh well..

later

Yeah, the whole point of Replicade (IMO anyway) was that it was going to be crazy exact...'replica', call me crazy :D But this actually still looks fine. For the money, I'm going to go with the 1/4 replicas from Namco. I'm not a huge fan of Centipede or Tempest (especially not at this size), and their upcoming Street Fighter 2 cab seems...well, some will love it but the only way to play SF2 for me is two player vs, and that's not going to happen here.

I'm glad these types of reviews exist, I want to know dem deets.

I'd love to have that Centipede, get far more fun out of that than Tempest, but that price...ugh that price. I know it's wishing too much, but you have to hope it's so widely produced (I know it's not) that the aftermarket sees the price get cut hard. I'd get good fun out of that with that little trackball. $160 I can see in the design and parts there I guess, but it's over my head as $100 is hard enough to swallow with that 10" Data East cabinets running Mame4Droid emulated arcade games.

As someone who has started a nice collection of these newer hand held machines I'd love to have one of those Replicade Centipede machines. They look far and away better than any of the Tiny Arcades, MyArcades, etc., that I have in my collection. They are also far and away priced and too much for me. Too small for me to enjoy actually playing so these are just for display/collection on my part. And from that standpoint in addition to the price, the bezel is the downer for me.

They got a lot right - lighted marquee and buttons, coin door, side art - and even though the buttons are not quite right as noted above - they are close enough and pass for me. They dropped the ball when they put the bottom bezel on the sides and completely omitted any top or bottom on the bezel.

How much would I pay to add one of these to my collection? Considerably less than $160 for sure. Free is a good starting point so I entered the contest to win. icon_smile.gif

• Like 1

for me, the actual pricepoint makes NO difference to me, whether its $10 or $1000.

if i like it a lot, and have some connection with the object, and i have the money, i get it, period.

---------

that being said, there are times, like now, where if i find the actual object, i buy it new.

otherwise, waiting for an inevitable price drop might be smarter in the long run.

i remember when the touch rubiks cube came out around $150, and i thought they were cool,

but didn't have the money. a few months later i snagged them in a clearance for like $20.

i don't think think this mini-arcade machines will drop that much, but i'm sure at some point

they will be able to be bought for way less than $160.

these are different from the 1/4 scale pac-man ones, which are limited production runs,

and not mass-marketed. those ones tend to stay at the same price or go up, as they

become rarer and hard to find.

==============

bottom line : if you can afford it, get it now

if you're stingy on money, and don't NEED it right NOW, then of course wait it out.

i'm leaning towards the myarcade NAMCO collection, since its way more playable, and has

a better value to me, even though it looks nothing like the original, and has different controls.

as accurate at the tempest and centipede cabinets and controls are, the playability suffers,

and that counts way more to me, than looks.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

The original series had four games, identical pcbs with four unique roms selectable by a permanent solder pad on the motherboard. The games can be made selectable by changing the jumper or attaching to a switch or the joystick.

Since the second series has only three games, it stands to reason that they may share common hardware with the first series. It is plausible that a fourth unannounced game might be present on this circuit board. I just postulated the question to see if anyone had tampered with theirs yet or installed the joystick / dip switch mod.

Could be one of two things: One of the games might have a larger ROM than 1/4 the total ROM size, so that may prevent a 4th game from fitting on it...

Or there could be a 'secret' game... There's a hidden Stargate game on that larger Joust game that came out earlier this year (or was it late last year?) that you can get to with a jumper flip. Supposedly Stargate (or 'Defender' as it's called in the ROM, but it's obviously Stargate) was going to come out this year.

So there's a chance of another game being there...

their upcoming Street Fighter 2 cab seems...well, some will love it but the only way to play SF2 for me is two player vs, and that's not going to happen here.

Actually, the game is being made a with second wired controller so two people can play it together... Not sure how well, but they are trying... :)

Tiny Arcade V2 info:

Model used: Dig Dug

Just as the last set of devices, the second round of these units are just as mod-able as the first. See my post from pages back or check the various youtube videos or facebook groups on methods.

Jumper layout on the PCB is as follows:

G - Galaga

O - Galaga (The rom might be 512k instead of 256k like the previous units)

F - Frogger

E - Dig Dug

Game selection is set by a 0 ohm resister and can be swapped just like last time. As you can see in the pictures below the other games run great. Dig Dug seems to be the best of the bunch.

Later tonight I'll dump the firmware and see if there is anything else on the EEPROM. Enjoy.

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg

• Like 1

Tiny Arcade V2 info:

Model used: Dig Dug

Just as the last set of devices, the second round of these units are just as mod-able as the first. See my post from pages back or check the various youtube videos or facebook groups on methods.

Jumper layout on the PCB is as follows:

G - Galaga

O - Galaga (The rom might be 512k instead of 256k like the previous units)

F - Frogger

E - Dig Dug

Game selection is set by a 0 ohm resister and can be swapped just like last time. As you can see in the pictures below the other games run great. Dig Dug seems to be the best of the bunch.

Later tonight I'll dump the firmware and see if there is anything else on the EEPROM. Enjoy.

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg

So like the My Arcade had two copies of Mappy, Tiny Arcade v2 has two Galaga banks. Thanks for sharing the info. Where did you buy it? I've not seen any of the v2 units at Walmart yet.

an old but cool build.i like how you put a quarter in it to play:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxWCh5kkS6Mlater-1

Someone developed a coin acceptor for PiMame by cutting a slot in the enclosure and adding an optical encoder wired directly to the gpio pins. Note that coins, tokens, or slugs (ie bolt washers, knife blades, or literally any foreign object inserted into the slot) of any size or denomination can be used provided it is opaique, and care must be taken during design and placement that coins cannot land or roll onto the pi creating a short circuit. I just used a fake coin acceptor button on mine to simulate the look and feel of a coin acceptor. I think a real coin acceptor modified to drop genuine coins/tokens into the rejection chute (but still count them as credits) would be a nice home arcade alternative to leaving the games on freeplay, or leaving out a bowl of quarters/tokens (which then need to be periodically emptied from the coin doors and returned to the bowl) and relying on honor system for guests not to steal them.

Credit:

http://www.retrobuiltgames.com/porta-pi-arcade-help/more-assembly/coin-acceptor/