IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

I think the NES would work marvelous within the Centipede or with a new screen Asteroids cabinet. They have the buttons requires with the stick, 2 buttons on top, then your on/off+volume you could re-wire to start and select and just install some kind of switch for the power and another something for the audio in back. Given what people have done with similar sized screens there's no reason to think it couldn't be adapted and work fairly well. The only issue maybe needing to modify the stick so it's not stuck just doing a + shape groove as enough NES games did allow for diagonal motion that it would just destroy.

Centipede = rollerballs or bust! :D

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1067

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Even smaller and better fully functional arcade games popping up at Cracker Barrel of all places. Too bad they're getting so small they're almost pointless. I'd love these about 8" high with a 3"-4" screen.

They're from a company called Super Impulse. Funny how these things sneak in under the radar with no crowd funding or PR bullsnot required.

http://superimpulse.com/our-brands/tiny-arcade-2/

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> Edited by JBerel
  • Like 5

Very cool to have one or more of these sit on my desk to distract from getting work done! These definitely look better than the Walmart games.

Their 'where to buy' locator lists 3 locations local to me, none of them Cracker Barrel, but I plan to check anyway. Thanks for posting! :) :thumbsup:

Edited by RodLightning

Those Tiny arcades are really neat! Only available at Cracker Barrel though? I clicked on their "where to buy" link and it says their products are sold at Walmart, TRU, Target, etc. but didn't state specifically these little arcades. Put my zipcode and a 100 mile radius and nothing shows up! :(

There are at least 20 Cracker Barrels in NC--all too far away?

I read (basically a rumor at this point) that they will be at Walmart, TRU, etc., at the end of October, and CB was selling them early for unknown reasons.

There are a couple of Facebook groups and lots of YouTube videos about them. Each unit has all four games and there is a set of solder pads to select the game (one pair soldered closed to select the default game). It doesn't seem hard to attach a switch; couple of elegant solutions posted.

Their Facebook page says they will be at other retailers in November. Cracker Barrel is turning their stores over to full Christmas mode now, so I suppose that explains the lead time.

I stopped by the Cracker Barrel on my way home, and they just put out about 3 of each, so I snagged one of each model. Couldn't resist. They're just too funny, and they did it right for geeks who came of age in the 80's. It's an active LCD with a pretty accurate arcade version of each game. Sounds are spot on. I think they are rewrites of the arcade originals because a few tweaks appear to have been made to the text, scores and finer details to make it work on the really low resolution screen. Ms. Pacman has all the intermissions, fruit, alternate mazes etc. It's good to know they can make these in a proper, albeit teeny tiny way. I wonder how legit they are with the licensing. The best detail to me is the back lit marquee. Looks like the LCD back light pulls double duty.

They're too small for practical extended play, but that's what makes them funny. Gotta say they play pretty good nonetheless. The LCD panel has lower resolution than your eye can make out. Up close in a photo, it looks like 2-3 vertical lines make up Ms. Pacman, but your eye fills it in and doesn't see it that way. (at least my old eyes) My first thought is they are better for the purpose than the larger Bridge Direct ones and they play about the same. The purpose being a mindless tchotchke to amuse you by looking at it.

Helllllooo.....What have we here??? Lando's the boss at Ms. Pacman.

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 5

Even smaller and better fully functional arcade games popping up at Cracker Barrel of all places. Too bad they're getting so small they're almost pointless. I'd love these about 8" high with a 3"-4" screen.

They're from a company called Super Impulse. Funny how these things sneak in under the radar with no crowd funding or PR bullsnot required.

http://superimpulse.com/our-brands/tiny-arcade-2/

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Nice video, thanks! Looks like I'm headed to Cracker Barrel. :-D

They'll make nice ornaments for the Christmas tree too. I still have my Hallmark Pac-Man and Galaga cabs we put out every year. :love:

-edit-

So I had my GF stop at a Cracker Barrel on the way home to look for these... and score! Well, three of them anyway. Ms. Pac is missing, but will track one down someday. Wonder if they plan on making other cabs or if the 4 will be it?

Thanks Glen was wondering about the quality on these with a good look at the gameplay breakdown, visuals, audio an done in a clean and stable feed.

That deepdiscount mention looks like a big mistake: http://www.deepdiscount.com/tiny-arcade-ms-pac-man/859421005183

They said it costs $21.95 and has 2 modes of play on a MONOCHROME game and the box art looks much different too. I think the company is pulling a bridge direct and peddling a crap version to the good (like Walmart vs everyone else deal.)

Is it me or did they take some liberties with how the Ms PacMan maze looks, not so much the pathing but the boxed off areas. I'm surprised how nicely they do work though especially you saying how nice that joystick works out. If anything there I could fault the for would be Galaxian over Galaga but given the frame rate it may have been a logical choice too.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that is a pre-sales ad. The company made some 3D printed versions for demonstration that had the white stick and larger box. I doubt they knew what the final product would be at that time.

I found the star wars pic on one of the facebook sites. I thought the same. :)

• Like 1

Tanooki.

Thank you for the watch, and deepdiscount has raised the price to $21.00 so I think they had an early ad. Still not 100% sure so I would stick to cracker barrel, Walmart and yep Hallmark stores oh and toys r us too.

They are really fun, and yes the controller and buttons are super nice.

And you could mod to play all four games super easy.

I really enjoy th Galaxian..but know lots of fans of the Galaga game but even with the frame drop I have to be honest they're very very fun I think they're definitely worth the price I think they really did a great job with this product and the bridge direct should take note on number 1 how to box a blister pack version and number two to do a Space Invaders and Pac-Man proper.

Edited by Glen's Retro Show
  • Like 1

Interesting bit of trivia...on the pre-sales review from the toy fair in February, I just noticed an indicator that asteroids has been in the pipeline in some fashion. If you look closely at the pics, they wrote a 3D game of some sort, and a custom "tiny asteroids". That could indicate they've set themselves up with an easy roll out platform for more titles. Put in new program, add different labels and place in box with new graphics printed on it. Really smart.

https://gizmodo.com/playing-retro-games-on-these-tiny-arcade-cabinets-is-st-1792532871

• Like 1