IGNORED

Altirra 2.80 released

phaeron

Just been testing the latest beta and its new comparability engine, so far the only auto recognised 5200 cart that fails is the USA version of Choplifter which crashes, if you turn off the compatibility internal DB and set it manually to one chip it plays fine (I presume its setting to two chip).

Anyway, still testing but looking good...

I presume there's no way to manually edit the internal db unless you are actually compiling the whole emulator?

Edited by Mclaneinc

Just been testing the latest beta and its new comparability engine, so far the only auto recognised 5200 cart that fails is the USA version of Choplifter which crashes, if you turn off the compatibility internal DB and set it manually to one chip it plays fine (I presume its setting to two chip).

Anyway, still testing but looking good...

I presume there's no way to manually edit the internal db unless you are actually compiling the whole emulator?

Oops, I'll fix the Choplifter entry.

You can't edit the internal DB without recompiling the emulator, but you can override it. Any matching entries in the external DB will override ones in the internal DB. You can also grab the source from the internal DB and build an external DB off it -- it's in src\Altirra\data\compatdb.atcompatdb in the source archive.

• Like 1

I know it.
but I was hoping, and suddenly will.

full emulation drives - it is not interesting to me.

it would be desirable something new.

since 2009 I wait for adding in the emulator of emulation of a turbo 2000.

Edited by serj

Serj,

You are Russian, so I'll forgive you for a complete lack of tact.

You do realize that Avery works on this stuff, on his own time, for free, right? This pretty much gives him license to work on whatever part of the code he wants to work on, and you get the results of his hard work, for nothing, meaning, you are not a customer, you can't whine.

Tone like this, tends to make a developer not want to work on these projects.

The source code is available, so you can make a patch.

-Thom

• Like 5

Perhaps he's still drunk, or more probably got re-drunk (since I suppose it's 2017 in Russia now), but a reminder that free software is not an entitlement is a great final take-away thought for 2016. And I'd like to take the opportunity to look back at another year of fantastic improvements to Altirra, and look forward to anything Avery decides to do in 2017.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 6

Avery, I downloaded archive "Williamsrom2car.zip" from here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242957-ultimate-cart-sd-multicart-info-bits/?do=findComment&comment=3469517

Many of these *.car files lead to the collapse of the emulator.

please, fix it.

Eh.. The word please has been used and let us all keep in mind subtle tones and attitudes can be lost in text-only communications. I don't really see anything wrong here.

• Like 4

Perhaps he's still drunk, or more probably got re-drunk (since I suppose it's 2017 in Russia now), but a reminder that free software is not an entitlement is a great final take-away thought for 2016. And I'd like to take the opportunity to look back at another year of fantastic improvements to Altirra, and look forward to anything Avery decides to do in 2017.

Hear hear! I can't wait either. It's like an ongoing build-out of the ultimate Atari setup. Featuring things and capabilities I never could afford or imagined as a kid. A well-put-together rig sprawling across multiple monitors is the biggest and most bad-ass control center for classic computing! Woot! Woot!

Now, I have some DEMANDS and STIPULATIONS for features and fixes and how everything is to proceed in the coming months. Should I post them? Or am'I gonna get booted?

Avery, I downloaded archive "Williamsrom2car.zip" from here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242957-ultimate-cart-sd-multicart-info-bits/?do=findComment&comment=3469517

Many of these *.car files lead to the collapse of the emulator.

please, fix it.

Only two of those .CAR files are valid. The rest have incorrect checksums or no CART header.

I wrote a small script to fix or add the CART headers. Here's the script:

fixcart.zip

Here are the corrected .CAR files:

Williamsrom2car-fixed.zip

• Like 2

Eh.. The word please has been used and let us all keep in mind subtle tones and attitudes can be lost in text-only communications. I don't really see anything wrong here.

Especially since English is a 2nd language for him. It's best not to try and infer tone in such a case.

• Like 1

To be a little fair, he does use a translator, I used to moan at him a long time ago until I realised he is using the translator but yes in general i find Eastern European folk have a more forth right way of speaking but its simply how it works in that country, same as my Somalian neighbour talks to he kids as if they are 10 miles away when they are in the same room. I ask her from time to time to remember its a bit rude to do the same in this country and she apologises.

Habit..

If you want this to the extreme look no further than user w1k :)

As for those Williams carts, they are the same ones I posted (in this thread I think) a short while back and I someone kindly posted the fixed set, another words, Serj, you are having the on set of dementia :)

You collect every thing, how did you miss these before :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Always distinguish between an emulated machine (6502) crash which puts you in the debugger and an exception or other application error (Windows) which actually causes Altirra to crash. The latter is rare, and emulation is mature enough that the former usually points to an error in the software being run on the emulated machine. We've been debating language and inference here, but "collapse of the emulator" suggests to me an exception error and app shut-down, when in fact the issue was bad CAR headers. ;)

System->CPU Options->Record Instruction History. Next time the crash happens, click "Debug", then open the history window with Alt+6. Then you can see the most recently executed instructions prior to the crash, and that helps figure out if it's an emulation issue or a bug in the game.

• Like 1

Hello all! My first post here and i'd like to wish you all a Happy New Year! I am an Atari 800 user (unfortunately i don't own it anymore), who spent countless hours in his youth with Fort Apocalypse, Shamus, One on One, Jumpman, Necromancer, Canyon Climber, Baja Buggies, ...

I am using Altirra 2.90-test21 with Launchbox (https://www.launchbox-app.com/) which allows me to pass different command line parameters to Altirra for each game, making running games with different requirements easy.

I normally start Altirra in fullscreen with /f but i noticed that when i load a .cas file Altirra reverts to window mode. With .car and .atx files remains in fullscreen mode. Am i missing something?

• Like 1