IGNORED

Altirra 2.80 released

phaeron

• 4 weeks later...

Never try and hurry quality... :)

Keatahs post did the same to me, thought I'd missed something :)

Anyway, Avery has a living to make and a life to lead, things turn up when they do...

I was just hoping for some new discussion related to Altirra. Even someone posting a bug report or asking a question would have scratched that itch. :)

OK - bug report for you. 2.90 test35 64-bit, running Windows 7 OS.

When running the attached ATR, the picture viewer (Visage 2.5 RIP viewer) crashes the emulator. I've tried PAL, NTSC, various OS ROMs, and RAM configurations.

It used to work, but I do not know when it broke.

Visage 2.5 - Rip Viewer (19xx)(Madman - MadTeam)(Pl).atr

I ran in portable mode. The options were set to XE PAL, 128kb. Same crash for me. I even tried various CPU types.

EDIT:

Sorry - I've found the cause. One of the devices I had installed was causing the issue. Now I have to try them one at a time to see which it was.

• Like 2

Sorry - but since doing this (running with the /portable switch and removing pretty much everything), I am unable to get Altirra to not run in portable mode. Is there a way to make it revert? I tried renaming the ini file so it couldn't be found, but that makes me start with no settings present. I am hoping I haven't wiped all my previous settings.

Normally you just delete the ini or just rename it like you did and it goes back to using the registry...

Make 100% that there's no altirra.ini in the directory and there's no shortcuts with altirra /portable being used.

Edit.

This is purely my speculation and may (probably will) need Phaeron to correct me.

I presume Altirra saves its settings at the end of your session and checks if there's the altirra.ini there and uses that rather than the registry, what if the ini file is deleted mid session by accident, is there a flag to say the session was being ran under portable mode initially and therefore recreates an ini otherwise its possible any changes in portable mode would then be saved to the registry overwriting the previous settings.

Hopefully you see what I mean Avery, can this happen?

Edited by Mclaneinc

/portable just causes Altirra to create altirra.ini -- once that file exists the emulator will use it even without that switch. Thus, the advice is correct: remove altirra.ini and make sure you're no longer running /portable. The portable mode setting isn't stashed anywhere else, nor does running in portable mode erase non-portable settings.

• Like 1

But what happens if by accident the ini file is deleted mid session?

Not trying to be picky Avery, just curious. Suppose I had altered my setup in portable mode and like an idiot moved the ini file while still in that mode, would Altiira write back to the registry because the file is not there any more when it was shut down?

I know its a very unlikely event but its possible to have it happen.

I'm not suggesting you idiot proof the software, personally if you do stuff like deleting the ini then you should pay the price for being daft, its purely out of a 'what if' stance..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Its worth saving a registry key file, you don't need to do all the settings unless you want to, you can just look at bits you want....Or keep an ini copy, either way it saves entering it all again if you hit a snag..

I do it for the profile section because I often make the mistake of adjusting the profile rather than the hardware setting, that way the profile gets saved with the change which isn't normally what you want..

If "altirra.ini" is deleted while Altirra is running, the emulator will generate a new "altirra.ini" in place of the deleted/renamed file.

The generated "ini" file will retain all the customization features that were present in the deleted file, plus any customization changes before terminating the emulator.

Tested under Altirra v2.90 test 35

- Windows XP x32

- Windows 10 x64.

madi

• Like 1

Were you playing around in the registry? Hmm? Come on, you can tell us. :)

No - not at all. I launched the emulator one time with portable switch, changed a bunch of settings, closed emulator. Launched it again without portable switch, I thought it was still using INI file because all my settings were gone. Closed emulator. Renamed ini file hoping to revert to registry settings, loaded emulator, it was like starting from scratch. Lost every setting.

The only thing that I can think of that would trigger this behavior is the "reset all settings" option, but that has to be triggered by either /resetall or using the equivalent button in Tools > Options. Other than that, Altirra doesn't mass-reset settings. Even if the machine config were wiped, I would expect the Recent Files list to still be there. Can you check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\virtualdub.org\Altirra in regedit to see if some of your old settings are still there and if it's getting updated by the emulator?

If "altirra.ini" is deleted while Altirra is running, the emulator will generate a new "altirra.ini" in place of the deleted/renamed file.

The generated "ini" file will retain all the customization features that were present in the deleted file, plus any customization changes before terminating the emulator.

Tested under Altirra v2.90 test 35

- Windows XP x32

- Windows 10 x64.

madi

Thank you Madi, that is the answer I was after....Really should have done it myself but been oddly busy here..

Cheers...

This is probably a dumb question but is it possible to have two instances of Altirra running at the same time?

I.e one instances you are viewing a text doc and in the other you are entering that data is synfile.

Heck I know in the old days 20 instances of I.e. Could run at the same time. (A little different but a similar concept)

Just wondering.