IGNORED

Repository of DOSBOX classic games?

Omega-TI

It make sense, as Windows after all took in charge the different graphics modes, sound drivers, drivers, etc.

It's still surprising one bit as I though that massive ownership of computer more arrived with Windows 98 but heh maybe they were late in my place.

Also I guess that since W95 came on floppies, it was easy to copy so it spread quickly.

• Like 1

Installing Windows from floppies is crazy-making...and finding time and 25 blank diskettes wasn't particularly cheap to my way of thinking.

My workplace had stacks and stacks of Windows 95 setup CDs that came with new computers. Anyone who wanted one could take one home.

I'm not sure if I've ever paid for a Microsoft OS apart from what would come with an new machine.

I guess that in the US there is a higher presence of computer than in France, especially amongst the elders.

Also, the prevalence of the Atari ST and Amigas probably slowed the adoption of PCs.

I jsut though also that if Newsdee refer to the archive of DOS games, the guy that made it maybe ignored games that existed in both DOS and Windows version and/or decided to include less games as after all, 1996 is not so far and some games of the era, expecially licences, are still alive and the editors doesn't like to see their older games being shared freely.

THIS is my favorite set. DosBox included, and all games are setup to run with a really nice interface. Box and media scans when available. Include both floppy and CD games, as well as PD/Sharewae /Commercial. Find something he does not have? It is easy to ad to your collection. Front end is awesome.

https://archive.org/details/eXoDOS_Collection_v2.0

Also has a Windows 3.11 game archive too.

• Like 1

THIS is my favorite set. DosBox included, and all games are setup to run with a really nice interface. Box and media scans when available. Include both floppy and CD games, as well as PD/Sharewae /Commercial. Find something he does not have? It is easy to ad to your collection. Front end is awesome.

https://archive.org/details/eXoDOS_Collection_v2.0

Also has a Windows 3.11 game archive too.

Hmmm, I have no doubt it's comprehensive - 300+ Gigabytes zip file download; estimated 33 hours... ...I'll have to pass. It's easier to just browse Archive.org for MSDOS Games and play them right in your browser...

• 2 weeks later...