IGNORED

Adapter to use modern wireless controls on old Apple II computers

Flojomojo

http://gizmodo.com/this-adapter-lets-you-use-modern-wireless-controllers-w-1786910905

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/8bitdo/ap40-a-bluetooth-controller-for-ios-android-mac-pc?

pohgqlpdkf39whdlbt2u.jpg

That's a known good controller (it's the 8bitdo). It's a Kickstarter, not a preorder, but it seems to have a bunch of momentum already so it seems likely to happen.

• Like 2

I ordered the highest tier when it was first announced. I'm disappointed there's no tier with all three components, but I don't really need the collectible holder I suppose.

I hope the next step is for them to make an Atari/Commodore/etc. compatible adapter, particularly if this proves a success.

To honor Apple's pioneering Apple I in 1976, we designed a stand modeled after the original Apple II computer.

How does this honor the Apple I, which never came in an official enclosure? Why not say you are honoring the founding of Apple Computer instead?

We wanted to do something unique to celebrate the anniversary of the Apple I. We developed a Retro Receiver for the original Apple IIc. If you are familiar with our Retro Receiver line (for NES & SNES), the Retro Receiver for Apple IIc functions exactly the same. It allows you to use your AP40 wirelessly with your original Apple IIc. Not only can you play your Apple IIc wirelessly with any 8Bitdo controller or arcade stick, you can even use wireless next gen controllers (PS3, PS4, Wii Mote, Wii U Pro).

The Apple IIc is four models and eight years from the Apple I, it seems a bit of a stretch to call this an honor.

Now let's get down to functionality. The Apple IIc joystick/mouse port supports a two axis/two button joystick or a two axis/one button mouse. You can only connect one or the other, the input lines are multiplexed. The Apple II joysticks were analog.

There are 10 buttons on the controller, two analog sticks and a D-pad on the 8bitdo AP40. What are you going to do with all those buttons?

Does the receiver pass digital D-pad signals to the joystick directional lines or the analog thumbstick signals from one of the thumbsticks, or both?

Can you use the receiver and a gamepad to emulate a mouse?

Would this work on an Apple IIe, which shares the joystick port and the pinouts of the Apple IIc, but does not multiplex the mouse lines?

Would this work on an Apple IIe, which shares the joystick port and the pinouts of the Apple IIc, but does not multiplex the mouse lines?

Presumably it will work with a regular adapter (at least that's what I HOPE). I have adapters that go both ways between the motherboard connector to the DB9 connector because I have multiple Apple II/IIGS models.

Also, I'm not sure I'd take an Asian company too much to task for getting the honoring/referencing details quite right, at least in terms of the wording. I'm just glad they're tackling this project and I hope that it bears fruit for other, similar projects from them.

Interesting that 8bitdo is going to kickstarter. It isn't like they really need the money. The AP40 controller is identical to some of their other controllers apart from the faceplate. The receiver is but a variation on a theme. They have had success, they could self-fund or traditional-fund this project if they wanted to. I think they want the attention from a kickstarter.

107 backers so far are getting the controller, only 21 will be getting the receiver. I suspect the number of the former will increase much more rapidly than the latter.

Let's see how the press gets it hilariously wrong :

It’s also making an adorable stand modeled after the Apple II, as well as a new version of the Retro Receiver compatible with the Apple II/IIc. That’s right: you’ll be able to use a wireless controller with a computer built in the 1970s.

The Apple IIc was made from 1984 and the IIe from 1982, and unless you have an adapter, you won't be using it with an Apple II or II+ made in the 1970s. 8bitdo has not claimed compatibility with any computer other than the Apple IIc.

Also, you could use Atari wireless joysticks released in the early 1980s with an Atari 400 and 800, computers made in the 70s :P

Neither computer [Apple II/IIC] is remembered as a gaming powerhouse, but at the same time, these were some of the earliest machines to bring video games into the home.

I certainly remember the Apple II line as a gaming powerhouse for its time, an easy to use BASIC, high resolution color graphics, 40 and 80 column text, output to TV, joystick controls.

But instead of replacing corded controllers, it’s designed to replicate the computer’s keyboard, allowing you to play pretty much any classic game without having to deal with a cord or an awkward QWERTY layout.

Please explain to me how the receiver is going to do that when connected to the mouse/joystick port. Even if it did replicate more functionality than a joystick, is anyone likely to type "GET LAMP" in Zork with one? You are likely to be eaten by a Grue before you finish.

On second thought, let me throw you a banana and be done with you!

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 1

Please explain to me how the receiver is going to do that when connected to the mouse/joystick port. Even if it did replicate more functionality than a joystick, is anyone likely to type "GET LAMP" in Zork with one? You are likely to be eaten by a Grue before you finish.

I'm only guessing here but I bet this pertains to the controller only when it's paired with a tablet or something. I assume only emulators would benefit from this with the controller mapped to the arrow keys or "ASDF" for those games that didn't have joystick control.

The Kickstarter campaign is really lacking on details as far as I'm concerned. Why didn't they explain what all the buttons would do on a real Apple? I don't see any way both analog sticks and the D-Pad could be active without problems. Then you have Start, Select, 4 fire buttons and 2 shoulder buttons to deal with. So it's even crazier than what Great Hierophant pointed out with a total of 12 buttons and 2 analog sticks.

Do I like the idea of Bluetooth on an Apple? Yes. But I'd rather see an actual custom controller instead of just a new faceplate and a little rubber leaf. A NES controller with an analog stick instead of a D-Pad would be much better in my opinion.

I'm only guessing here but I bet this pertains to the controller only when it's paired with a tablet or something. I assume only emulators would benefit from this with the controller mapped to the arrow keys or "ASDF" for those games that didn't have joystick control.

The Kickstarter campaign is really lacking on details as far as I'm concerned. Why didn't they explain what all the buttons would do on a real Apple? I don't see any way both analog sticks and the D-Pad could be active without problems. Then you have Start, Select, 4 fire buttons and 2 shoulder buttons to deal with. So it's even crazier than what Great Hierophant pointed out with a total of 12 buttons and 2 analog sticks.

Do I like the idea of Bluetooth on an Apple? Yes. But I'd rather see an actual custom controller instead of just a new faceplate and a little rubber leaf. A NES controller with an analog stick instead of a D-Pad would be much better in my opinion.

8bitdo probably put more thought into the aluminum paperweight than the receiver.

The buttons cannot be assigned to individual functions, the port on the IIc is limited to two axes and two buttons.

I believe that both a digital pad and an analog stick have their purposes with an Apple IIc. Many, many arcade-like games do not take advantage of the analog properties of the joystick.

The only keys that can be replicated from the Apple IIc's port are the Open and Closed Apple keys, which appear as joystick buttons presses.

Okay, here is some helpful info from 8bitdo :

The Retro Receiver is compatible with Apple IIc/IIe/IIgs. As for Apple II, we provide an extension adapter which connects the receiver it to Apple II. And the rest works exactly the same as it's shown in the video.

Edited by Great Hierophant

The buttons cannot be assigned to individual functions, the port on the IIc is limited to two axes and two buttons.

I believe that both a digital pad and an analog stick have their purposes with an Apple IIc. Many, many arcade-like games do not take advantage of the analog properties of the joystick.

The only keys that can be replicated from the Apple IIc's port are the Open and Closed Apple keys, which appear as joystick buttons presses.

Only when it is used with the receiver for the Apple. The gamepad itself is just a Bluetooth controller. According to their website the controller supports:

http://www.8bitdo.com/

-------------------------------------------------------

Multi Working Mode support more devices and OS, and compatible with most of the games.

Such as: Emulator game, computer game and touch screen games on smart devices.

Android Mode - Support Android games.

PC Mode - Support PC games and work like a standard Joystick

Keyboard Mode - Standard Bluetooth keyboard, the best compatibility

iCade Mode - iOS iCade games

Emu-Touchschreen mode - Work with 8Bitdo APP, support touch screen games

-------------------------------------------------------

And after looking at the pictures of the controller more closely it appears there are 4 shoulder buttons instead of 2, bringing the button count to 14 and 2 analog sticks (All of which is listed on the Kickstarter page. How did I miss that?). I understand this is to make it more universal but this is serious overkill for an Apple controller. If 8bitdo is going to go this route they should just make 1 generic looking controller and sell the stickers so you can customize its look yourself. This is basically what they're doing anyway except that the customization (sticker application) is taking place at a factory.

The only real product here for the Apple is the Bluetooth receiver.

Some more interesting info: their Bluetooth controller for the NES or SNES costs $30-35. The receivers for each of those systems is about $20. But to get this collector's edition Apple unit, the receiver and Bluetooth controller are $85. So in order to get this new Apple collector's edition you have to pay a premium of $35.

USA Prices: http://www.gameinstock.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=1&q=8bitdo

Edited by TheDevil'sCompass