IGNORED

My TI is Fried

LynxHandyCaster

Took my TI-99/4a silver/black console to demonstrate at an outdoor maker faire this past weekend. I had it displayed on a table that was in full sun for the entire day (not my choice). After about 3 hours of working fine, it started to flake out on different cartridges. Eventually, booting it up resulted in no menu (black screen) and a constant 2- or 3-voice tone. Top of the unit was very hot from the sun. I unplugged it and didn't demonstrate it all for the rest of the day. Thirty-six hours later and back in the comfort of my air conditioned home, I tried it again; same result.

Any ideas what my first step at trouble-shooting should be? Any help at all is appreciated.

Took my TI-99/4a silver/black console to demonstrate at an outdoor maker faire this past weekend. I had it displayed on a table that was in full sun for the entire day (not my choice). After about 3 hours of working fine, it started to flake out on different cartridges. Eventually, booting it up resulted in no menu (black screen) and a constant 2- or 3-voice tone. Top of the unit was very hot from the sun. I unplugged it and didn't demonstrate it all for the rest of the day. Thirty-six hours later and back in the comfort of my air conditioned home, I tried it again; same result.

Any ideas what my first step at trouble-shooting should be? Any help at all is appreciated.

I found this. It may be a start:

HERE

• Like 1

I found this. It may be a start:

HERE

After reading it through, I'll check the VDP chip first. If I don't think replacing it will work, I'll take the console to my vintage computer club meeting in November to see if someone there can trouble shoot it (I'm a novice solderer at best). If that doesn't work, I'll just replace the console from a working one on eBay.

Thank you, Shift838. A lot of good info there.

• 1 month later...

S l1600

Due to lack of time, I went ahead and found a replacement console on eBay. It's in immaculate condition - even better looking than my very good condition model - and it came with the leatherette cover. And it works great. All for $30, including shipping. I'll keep the old non-working one for parts.

• Like 4