IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

I've owned and loved every system Nintendo ever made. Their failure rate in my household is zero. So... yeah, odds are the Switch will come home with me one day. But I've still seen nothing that will make me buy one at launch, and if the supplies are limited, I won't go through any great effort while I still have a stack of Wii-U games yet to be played.

As usual, the first party support is strong, and the account system seems to be moving in the right direction. Nintendo's strategy (as much as we outsiders can surmise) appears strong. There's still the glaring, almost painful gap of 3rd-party support, but Nintendo's doing what they can to mitigate that.

Bottom line: I actually care about this launch, in a way I couldn't manage to care about the PS4 or One. So there's that.

• Like 2

My wife's not sure she wants this one. She's the one who uses the current systems for the most part, so it's up to her whether we get the Switch. She's a big fan of the Zelda and Pikmen series, and enjoys some of the Mario games. We'll see...

I'll probably get this eventually, but not until much later in its life (maybe the Switch-Mini or something) because I'm sure there will be games that I want to play (the new Mario, Xenoblade 2, etc.) but nothing I need to have right now. I've got more games than I can play as is and I'm not a fan of portable systems.

I'm very glad to hear the Switch will be region free, but I'm still looking for some specifics that I haven't been able to find. Is it region free like PS Vita, i.e., the carts are region free but you can't have DLC from two regions on the same device without jumping through ridiculous hoops, or will DLC be region free as well?

• Like 1

I'm very glad to hear the Switch will be region free, but I'm still looking for some specifics that I haven't been able to find. Is it region free like PS Vita, i.e., the carts are region free but you can't have DLC from two regions on the same device without jumping through ridiculous hoops, or will DLC be region free as well?

DLC will not be (almost certainly). On PS consoles you had to have a Hong Kong, Japanese account etc. and play the game using that account to access that regions DLC

!!!!

audxir5gs59nt2zwws3m.gif

WTF is this? Really a game or some stupid demo? Looks like way too much work. :lol:

Video "gaming" really is evolving into something I just have zero interest in anymore. A cow milking simulator now? Yeah, this looks like great fun - NOT! Can we pretend to pitch some hay, shovel some shit, vacuum the house and do the dishes next? Please? :rolling:

• Like 4

DLC will not be (almost certainly). On PS consoles you had to have a Hong Kong, Japanese account etc. and play the game using that account to access that regions DLC

But can you set up two accounts and simply log out of one if you want to play a game on the other? I'm not asking if you can use DLC from another region on a US game, no one expects that.

But can you set up two accounts and simply log out of one if you want to play a game on the other? I'm not asking if you can use DLC from another region on a US game, no one expects that.

Yes that's how I do it. You can play the game with either account actually, it's just the DLC will always be tied to a region.

Pre-ordered the new Zelda game for the Wii U from Amazon for my sealed collection at least. March 31st on that. Looks like they are going to release it after all. Cross fingers. Switch I'll wait until the dust settles.

The price is too high and the additional controllers are expensive. It's rehashed Nintendo games and I think most people are happy with PlayStation and Xbox. The games running on Switch looked no different than the Wii U games. Some even appeared to run sluggish in the video clip. PS4 Pro is going to be around £280 soon and Xbox Scorpio is on the horizon. It's also launching with no online multiplayer everywhere except America, Canada and Mexico! Seriously they should wait til it's all sorted before they launch it.

• Like 1

The existence of a standalone dock accessory is nice, as you can have a dock at multiple TVs or even multiple houses. And, it leaves the door open for a dock-less SKU down the road. If it's $300 with the dock, and the dock is valued at $80, then I bet Nintendo could get the price down to $199 if they really, really needed to. If the Switch fails, it won't be because it fell into the same trap as the Wii-U.

I think the existence of a standalone dock is weirder than not having a dock-less SKU. Use case: family with kids wants 2 or more of these. Why would they need 2 or more docks if said family only has one big television, and most of the gameplaying takes place on the small, built-in screen? I've heard of people wanting multiple Switches for their family.

You'd think they'd leave out the dock and sell it separately, like they did with the 3DS XL and New 3DS. Maybe I should wait for the spec-bumped Switch with better battery life, and significantly more than 32GB of onboard storage, lower price, and no unwanted dock. ;)

Looks like Amazon and Gamestop are sold out of preorders.

:roll: Sold out of pre-orders. Sheesh. Nintendo really can't get its act together. Pre-orders should be a way to guage interest, and adjust production accordingly. Not a marketing tool.

Anyway, I let my wife know she needs to make a decision soon, and she decided she's in no hurry. If they're not generally available, then she just won't get one.

Too bad, Nintendo. You're on your way to losing another loyal customer.

• Like 1

online services are region free as well
  • Like 1

:roll: Sold out of pre-orders. Sheesh. Nintendo really can't get its act together. Pre-orders should be a way to guage interest, and adjust production accordingly. Not a marketing tool.

Anyway, I let my wife know she needs to make a decision soon, and she decided she's in no hurry. If they're not generally available, then she just won't get one.

Too bad, Nintendo. You're on your way to losing another loyal customer.

Other stores still have them. You can't expect these stores to have a million of them for preorder each. I suspect these are not official preorders either.

I don't know how they are going to handle a worldwide at the same time release though.

• Like 1

Overall, the entire presentation was very... meh? Glad I skipped it, and went to bed early, last night! :P

The console looks... uncomfortable, and the game offerings really aren't all that impressive. Super Mario Bros. Odyssey looks fun, at least!

I'll pass on Zelda though, Skyward Sword thoroughly ruined the series for me (Too bland/linear).

...and suddenly-- Bomberman!? Now, that's a game I could get behind!

Have gamers become this jaded, every game I saw blew me away. The Mario game alone is worth buying the system, it looks incredible. Xenoblade 2 OMFG!!!! I am actually excited over a new Sonic game, The ZELDA game, it took both hands to get my jaw off the floor. I know I am buying one.

Perhaps. In the land of plenty (i.e., the current bountiful and abundant gaming landscape), it's admittedly hard to be impressed. At the same time, we are still dealing with a modestly spec'd system that's retailing for more than some people expected and a fairly anemic launch window line-up bereft of any notable exclusives (and as cool as Zelda is, it's not even an exclusive).

• Like 2