IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

As a first time purchase, I could see a $60 value in it. It's like with stuff like Skyrim and Super Street Fighter II Ultra, as a Nintendo gamer, I've never had an opportunity to play said games despite them being out for years prior, so those are worthy purchases to me.

I never played those two games either. So, they are new to me also. As a side note to Nintendo gamers not experiencing older games from other platforms like Skyrim and others I don't entirely get the complaints about the Switch potentially getting third party support in the form of older games. I mean, if the Switch is kind of a replacement for the Wii U and a hope is that it gets the third party support that the Wii U didn't then doesn't that not only apply to brand new games coming out for the PS4 and XBOX ONE but also games that have already came out for them since the Switch has to catch up to them to get near the same third party support that they have already received? To put that another way, even if the Switch gets every single new game coming out for the PS4 and XBOX ONE but none of their older ones then once this generation is over people could still claim that the Switch didn't get as much third party support as the other two consoles because it would be entirely lacking something like 4 or 5 years worth of games that those consoles received.

However, I think publshers need to take a look at perceived value. If a release for another system sells for $20, will enough gamers see value in it as a $60 release? What is worth $60 to me may not be worth $60 to another gamer and visa versa.

It is only $20 as a Nintendo Select title for the discontinued Wii U though, right? If so, then for most gamers that $20 version isn't even an option. Therefore, I think the perceived value for many might not be as lowered compared to if it was $20 on platforms they actually have. In other words, you're not willing to pay $60 for the privilege of playing the game again on the Switch but for others they may not be willing to pay $20 plus tracking down and buying a Wii U for the privilege of playing the game for the first time when they could just pay $60 to play it on a console they already own.

TL;DR: It was worth $60 to me in 2013 when it was brand new because I'd never played it. Is it worth $60 to you in 2017 as a "new" game? That's up to you to decide. icon_smile.gif

Since I don't own a Wii U I think its value to me could be the same as a new game. The same for any Wii U exclusive games. I would be fine with them porting every single one of them over with as new prices because instead of the Wii U my first experience of them would be potentially on the Switch and if the Switch is way more successful than the Wii U then that may apply to most future Switch owners also since those games would also be their first opportunity to experience them.

• Like 1

Thirds here, I've never seen Skyrim other than a few pictures, and SF2 my exposure on that line of 'SF2's died with the GBA release 15 years ago as I didn't have the access since which sucked. SF2 is a given, not so sure i'd still buy the other but maybe depending on what's up at the time it drops. I don't mind the older games because you know, it's actual third party support, and some is better than none or insulting garbage (like WiiU got.) It would only make sense given the hardware to expect to see stuff that's both new but also NEW to NINTENDO because while it was on PC or PS3 it didn't hit the crappy WiiU. Just as long as it's not entirely an old game port box, that's fine, but even if a good bit of it does go there is that so bad given it's a handheld? The post above makes a good point, no matter what, if it's not a wide enough spread of what's old is new and what's new is new, people will whine Nintendo got the shaft.

• Like 2

How about how there's no such thing as bad press?

Perhaps, but it's not like the Switch version is getting a lot of competition in the new releases category.

If it was intentional to draw attention to Lego City Undercover with a controversy that would have to be quickly squashed after grabbing everyone's attention if they didn't want it to end up counterproductive, why not plaster the Xbox One and PS4 game cases with a notice about a mandatory 20 gig patch or some such nonsense?

Would get headlines and while I don't know the exact release slate for those systems, surely there's much more competition there even just looking at recent releases. And it's a more palatable issue to those customer bases as well, where as people might remember this the next time there's a Warner Brothers release on the Switch, and wonder if they should hold off preordering it or see their internal storage almost evaporate in an instant for a game that should more or less reside fully on cartridge.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

My Switch is sitting idle, like most of my game systems. :-( Haven't had enough downtime to get into them, even Zelda, which is very pretty and fun.

I've hit the time crunch thing with Zelda as well, although I do squeeze in some Isaac at least once every day or so.

How about how there's no such thing as bad press?

What would have otherwise been an underwhelming full price re-release of a 5 year old game that probably would have flown under the radar on most systems instead became a huge hot bed of speculation, complaining, guessing, anger, acceptance, and pleasure by vast amounts of gaming information resources from the media to messageboards and facebook type stuff. They didn't have a pay a dime and got millions in advertising in comparison (much like the last election, look up how much both sides spent as the gap is stunning.)

Press isn't everything. You also need a good product.

Ouya got a ton of press, both good and bad. It had a hugely successful Kickstarter then fell flat on it's face at launch.

I rode the Ouya train until long after it crashed, and I can say I had my fun but time to move on.

I think Switch will do well, but it's Wii-U all over again with lazy ports from 3rd party devs, except now even Nintendo is doing it. MK8, Splatoon 1.5 Too, MK8, possibly Smash Bros, and uh, yeah, did I mention MK8 Dee-Luxxx! :lust:

Can't wait to play that again, with all the built in DLC. :grin: :thumbsup:

This looks pretty cool. I like the 2 cart slots.

I hope that charger is capable of doing the proper handshake and providing 15V at the USB-C port, otherwise if it tops at 5V (for instance if you use the charging cable that came with the Pro controller and attempt to pair it with a generic wall-wart) then the trickle of charge current the tablet gets from the backup battery, no matter how large, will be insufficient; the system battery will drain faster than it charges. I've tried to use generic wall warts with the Switch and got the charging / plugged in indicator but with battery percentage slowly dropping instead of going up during use. You might get 8 hours continuous usage but eventually the battery will deplete and you'll have to leave it on sleep mode to finish topping off. So assuming an enormous capacity, it may be good for extending the range for short burst usage, but not continuous. Ideally, an external battery pack should keep the internal battery at 100% until the external pack is exhausted; only then should the device rely on internal power.

I never do that, but I took one of part of the scene where the master sword pops up with some really nice light cast down upon it. I keep forgetting to get it off of there. Maybe someday they'll allow stuff like that for backgrounds.

I wish the Switch had a simple web browser we could use. I don't wanna post to FB/Twitter, nor do I have accounts there. In order to post to AtariAge or somewhere, I gotta hard power down the system (not sleep it), then remove the SD card, stick it in an SD holder with the write protect tab up, load it into a PC, copy the photo to hard drive, upload it, then stick the tiny card back in my Switch, knowing I'm up shit creek if I lose it.

On Wii-U, it was literally, hit home button to pause game, click browser, upload screenshot.

Also on indiegogo terms in the site state unlike kickstarter it is a gamble, the pitch people are not required to return your funds in full, and you pay up front, not just a promise to fund if the goal is met like kickstater too. Seems far too risky.

They are both a gamble. There have been plenty of KS fails. I'm not supporting this because I have three open crowdfunding campaigns (one over a year) and I need to start receiving stuff to try this again.

I don't see the point when third party and/or first party battery pack options will obviously be available anyway at retail without crowdfunding. It isn't like the Switch is some niche product with an even smaller niche of users concerned about battery life. The demand for such solutions are already high and will get higher as more Switches get out there. Therefore, companies that don't even need crowdfunding will already come up with the supply to meet that demand. Crowdfunding should be used for ideas that likely would not be without it.

• Like 1

I don't see the point when third party and/or first party battery pack options will obviously be available anyway at retail without crowdfunding. It isn't like the Switch is some niche product with an even smaller niche of users concerned about battery life. The demand for such solutions are already high and will get higher as more Switches get out there. Therefore, companies that don't even need crowdfunding will already come up with the supply to meet that demand. Crowdfunding should be used for ideas that likely would not be without it.

Yeah I don't see a reason for funding this at all when Nyko will probably have already pushed something cheaper and better out the door by summer's end, possibly with bonus grips.

• Like 1

Over Top is coming to the Neo Geo Arcade Archives line. That's one I never thought I'd see. :)

Hopefully Thrash Rally follows. And I'd especially love to see Neo Drift Out, but that one has licensed vehicles and likely is out, unless Hamster is willing to do a little editing.

• Like 1

That is kind of a surprise. Not to knock it as the MVS has been my thing since getting one about a year ago, but those driving games none are truly mind blowing experiences and one of the more unlikely games I'd see come up someone has to have. They tend to get ignored behind not just the obvious fighting/metal slug/shooters stuff, but the other platformers, funny sports, screwy puzzles and much of the brawlers as well. Good though it will be there to showcase variety.

That is kind of a surprise. Not to knock it as the MVS has been my thing since getting one about a year ago, but those driving games none are truly mind blowing experiences and one of the more unlikely games I'd see come up someone has to have. They tend to get ignored behind not just the obvious fighting/metal slug/shooters stuff, but the other platformers, funny sports, screwy puzzles and much of the brawlers as well. Good though it will be there to showcase variety.

Yeah there are much better games out of the Neo Geo library to go with. What about Viewpoint or Magician Lord? Super Spy would be awesome with joycon control.