IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

How do I connect this to the HDMI port? :P

What gives you the impression that touch/motion controls are not built in? If Nintendo includes tilt/gyro sensors in the controllers or enables touchscreen capability, why not give developers the option to use said devices? I think there is a high likelyhood the Switch tablet contains a touchscreen and motion sensors (which are bog standard on every Android/iOS device) but Nintendo is wise not to showcase any of those features in the reveal video because they are trying to distance themselves from their existing Wii/Wii-U/DS/3DS legacy. If the Switch tablet completely lacks touchscreen or motion functionality altogether, it would be giving a big one finger salute to mobile devs, from whom Nintendo will likely need support in addition to console devs.

I assume it's a given that the handheld portion will have basic touchscreen (non-stylus) and sensor support, particularly if it's an evolution of the Nvidia Shield Tablet. With that said, because the multi-use nature of the product is so important, anything created with those other functions in mind will also have to be supported with traditional controls. That may limit how much those other sensors are leveraged.

To me, the reality is, Nintendo should NOT be focused on the mobile experience here. Pure mobile is dying on the dedicated handheld side and can be better served by the smartphones and tablets people already have. In my opinion, the Switch needs to focus on bringing the console experience to anywhere someone wants to play, not being another destination to play mobile games. The latter is a battle they just won't win.

• Like 3

I assume it's a given that the handheld portion will have basic touchscreen (non-stylus) and sensor support, particularly if it's an evolution of the Nvidia Shield Tablet. With that said, because the multi-use nature of the product is so important, anything created with those other functions in mind will also have to be supported with traditional controls. That may limit how much those other sensors are leveraged.

To me, the reality is, Nintendo should NOT be focused on the mobile experience here. Pure mobile is dying on the dedicated handheld side and can be better served by the smartphones and tablets people already have. In my opinion, the Switch needs to focus on bringing the console experience to anywhere someone wants to play, not being another destination to play mobile games. The latter is a battle they just won't win.

I'm not suggesting otherwise and I agree with you here, but for Nintendo to release a gaming tablet without touch capability would be a serious blunder. I could see games and other apps having the option to use touch in addition to traditional controls, even if just for menu selection and such. Also tilt/gyro would not be outside the realm of possibility. Thing is alternate control methods are not required, just optional, and all games/apps must be use standard controls when docked.

I had to look that up ... sperg as in Asperger's. I wonder if that's offensive to people here, considering many AtariAgers display those traits, too.

Also, why "female sperg?" Do you say "lady doctor" and "female lawyer," too? :twisted:

I say "lady doctor", but when I do, it's a euphemism for gynecologist.

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting otherwise and I agree with you here, but for Nintendo to release a gaming tablet without touch capability would be a serious blunder

If anyone can confuse controls (not having touch on a tablet, a device expected to have it) it's Nintendo. I love my Nintendo systems and they tend to be a go-to for family time but the horrendous clutter of controllers and things that plug into them is not ideal.

• Like 1

New fan parody trailer you might enjoy:

I wouldn't even call it a parody. More like real life!

Most gamers live in those drab white apartments with microbathrooms, bare walls, stuff strewn about, and general smallness. Any AV rig in apartments has wires showing. More realistic unlike the artificial and perfect pad depicted in the original.

The airport - now we're talking. A girl will most likely behave that way and see you as creepy.

The car rides. Heh, playing games and fighting city traffic, crammed in the back of a sub-compact - that way more real than the minivan. And yes you might even get motion sickness! Or ride in an older car. That's real.

And with the Chicago Cubs doing well, a tip of the hat, eh?

Ohh I wonder if the inserting/removing of the controllers will make that nice swishing sound. They spent nearly $14,000 in making that noise just so.

But the emphasis on playing in the bathroom is the most accurate of all. I find myself getting into a web page, and all of a sudden gotta make poo. So I pull out my iPad and continue in the shitter. Can't miss moment!

Edited by Keatah

But the emphasis on playing in the bathroom is the most accurate of all. I find myself getting into a web page, and all of a sudden gotta make poo. So I pull out my iPad and continue in the shitter. Can't miss moment!

That's all well and good, but I prefer to read good, old-fashioned books and magazines in the shitter. That way, I'm prepared if the toilet paper runs out.

• Like 1

What gives you the impression that touch/motion controls are not built in? If Nintendo includes tilt/gyro sensors in the controllers or enables touchscreen capability, why not give developers the option to use said devices?

Because I was talking exclusively about what was shown in the trailer.

I didn't speculate one way or another on the presence or lack of additional features like motion control.

• Like 1

I wonder if that's offensive to people here, considering many AtariAgers display those traits, too.

It's meant to be offensive; it is a derogatory term, commonly used by trolls.

Women can get it too. I know of one female user on NintendoAge who has Aspergers.

Statistically speaking, it's much more common in males, although this may be due to diagnostic difficulties caused by social norms.

Edited by Asaki

I wonder if that's offensive to people here, considering many AtariAgers display those traits, too.

Doesnt offend me and I show many traits of it, when I was installing the FPU on the underpopulated place on my mac's motherboard my wife commented how can you sit there and keep doing that (sucking the solder out of 144 holes in a rhythmic fashion lol) or when I was making my nintoaster, I must have soldered that ribbon cable 4 times * 72 pins cause something wasnt working, just happily going along half the night without a second thought

course I am an engineer by trade ...

Edited by Osgeld

Nintendo may be onto something with the Karen angle. For a TV spot they can get Luke Edwards from The Wizard:

MV5BMTQwNzMxNDg1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk2

And have him play as an adult Jimmy Woods but this time instead of playing Super Mario Bros. 3 he is playing the new Mario game while a song from The Wizard soundtrack is playing:

It could start out showing him playing it in his apartment full of video game awards and a massive Nintendo retro video game collection. Then Fred Savage shows up to drive him to the airport while Jimmy is playing mutilplayer with Jenny Lewis in the back seat. Then while getting plane tickets Fred starts out saying,"Three tickets to..." and then Jimmy interrupts with,"California"(the only thing he says in the commercial). Then Jimmy is playing more Mario with the kickstand on the plane.

I think you're right, touch and gyro would add very little to the cost. Every modern system I can think of has tilt sensors, why wouldn't this?

The whole thing was filmed in Vancouver. http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/nintendo-switch-commercial-filmed-in-vancouver

New fan parody trailer you might enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWpD1k5PVnU

I LOL'ed! :lolblue:

Poor Karen didn't realise nobody else gave a sh¡t...