IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

The usual one step forward for Nintendo and two steps back: Switch game downloads can’t be shared across multiple systems

Portable logins (which they've finally allowed) should equal portable games, just like on the competition (PC, Xbox One, PS4, mobile, etc.). Why make it harder for me to own multiple Switches?

The guy's question was about multiple purchases to access the game at the same time like he leaves with his Switch, his kid is at home with theirs, and they both play the same game at the same time either with the same purchase or two purchases. You can't even do that with one purchase on an Xbox One. You can download more than one but only one instance can be played at a time because you can only log in on one Xbox One at a time and when you do the way it works is that it is using always online DRM through Xbox Live. So, if the Switch was to do the same then there would be issues with portability because it can't always be online. For an example, if you had two instances of a game downloaded neither of them would launch offline and when in range of a WiFi hotspot only one instance would launch. So, even if Nintendo did that it wouldn't solve the guy's issue because both him and his kids couldn't play at the same time and neither him or his kids would be able to play offline. Shinya Takahashi even said it wasn't a final decision. So, maybe they will come up with something and that something would have to work in a way that isn't always online for portability while also not working in a way that you can just copy all of your games onto a Switch to sell it loaded with games. The solution should also work with physical games because it wouldn't really be fair for those who choose to go physical to have to buy multiple copies while those who choose to go digital can buy once and then give a copy to every one of their kids.

• Like 3

Makes sense as you're buying one license and if you can't control it right since it's not an always online device you have limits. Now to that last sentence, going by that train of thought, it would be only right if someone bought a physical copy once it's registered online that they could as a choice download it too but I don't see Nintendo being so kind.

The Verge: Nintendo Switch hands-on: hardware makes a promising start, but software questions remain

and an earlier piece that also raises concerns over Nintendo's poor online and software implementations: Nintendo is already repeating the Wii U's mistakes with Switch

Engadget: 48 hours with the Nintendo Switch

Polygon: Nintendo Switch’s day-one patch adds online features

So, it looks like Nintendo is indeed mimicking a lot what they did with the Wii U launch, including not having the online infrastructure in place without a day one patch. It also looks like some of the onboard software and features might not be fully in place, which also might explain why there's not going to be a Web browser or apps like Netflix for the foreseeable future.

On the plus side, the hardware sounds like it's going to be excellent, which is a big win, although it's curious that the Joy-Cons don't slide on and off quite as easily as previously suggested.

• Like 1

The guy's question was about multiple purchases to access the game at the same time like he leaves with his Switch, his kid is at home with theirs, and they both play the same game at the same time either with the same purchase or two purchases. You can't even do that with one purchase on an Xbox One. You can download more than one but only one instance can be played at a time because you can only log in on one Xbox One at a time and when you do the way it works is that it is using always online DRM through Xbox Live. So, if the Switch was to do the same then there would be issues with portability because it can't always be online. For an example, if you had two instances of a game downloaded neither of them would launch offline and when in range of a WiFi hotspot only one instance would launch. So, even if Nintendo did that it wouldn't solve the guy's issue because both him and his kids couldn't play at the same time and neither him or his kids would be able to play offline. Shinya Takahashi even said it wasn't a final decision. So, maybe they will come up with something and that something would have to work in a way that isn't always online for portability while also not working in a way that you can just copy all of your games onto a Switch to sell it loaded with games. The solution should also work with physical games because it wouldn't really be fair for those who choose to go physical to have to buy multiple copies while those who choose to go digital can buy once and then give a copy to every one of their kids.

It's pretty simple really. I want it to work like it works on my Xbox One (I only have one PS4 console at the moment, but will eventually get a Pro, but it's the same basic concept). The Xbox One in our family room is the home console, and my account, versus the other three accounts (my 2 year old doesn't need one yet), is the only one with Xbox Live Gold. Anyone can use my online features on the home console from their own account, and have full access to all of my digital games. On the upstairs (bedroom) Xbox One, they have to either use my account to have access to all of the digital games, or, they can access any games that they purchased on their own account. There's no restriction with what is installed where, it's just a matter of being logged into the right account.

On the Switch, if we owned, say two, I'd want it to work exactly the same way. If I purchase a digital game on my account, I want to be able to log-in on the other Switch and play it there. If I log in on the first Switch, it will log me out of the second Switch. Simple, and already proven on the other two consoles (and Steam, of course). I see ZERO issue with requiring a simple online check that the account/access is valid outside of the designated home console, since that's what every other device seems to do without issue.

Physical games are a non-issue, since disc or cartridge, it works the same. You pop it in and it creates a save file or whatever else specific to the account signed in. Online features would be dependent upon a subscription, per usual.

Edited by BillLoguidice
  • Like 1

On the plus side, the hardware sounds like it's going to be excellent, which is a big win, although it's curious that the Joy-Cons don't slide on and off quite as easily as previously suggested.

I am really happy to hear that the hardware is very high quality. For me that makes owning it seem a lot like the reason I buy iPhones . It is strange that Nintendo seems to be letting this thing leak its way into existence. But maybe that's a new marketing model they are going with. Possibly they are so busy trying to get this thing launched that they haven't had the resources to focus on it? I can see a future college course, Leakonomics 101. Step 1. Induce the FOMO. Edited by adamchevy

I am really happy to hear that the hardware is very high quality. For me that makes owning it seem a lot like the reason I buy iPhones . It is strange that Nintendo seems to be letting this thing leak its way into existence. But maybe that's a new marketing model they are going with. Possibly they are so busy trying to get this thing launched that they haven't had the resources to focus on it?

The only real criticism of the hardware it seems is that the battery life is pretty poor, although we of course knew that already with it averaging out to around 3 hours. It's still a bit jarring to see it in print from real-world usage, though.

I wonder if any consideration was given to adding a bit more weight that incorporating a beefier battery would have translated to. I'm also sure we'll see the inevitable snap-on battery packs for this.

For my usage, which I anticipate will primarily be indoors (and primarily within my house), I suspect I'll be OK, although I'll probably want to stock up on USB-C cables.

The only real criticism of the hardware it seems is that the battery life is pretty poor, although we of course knew that already with it averaging out to around 3 hours. It's still a bit jarring to see it in print from real-world usage, though.

Correction. There are apparently verified reports of the Joy-Cons having intermittent connectivity issues. It's hoped that the big day one patch will be able to address the issues with dropped connections.

There's only so much you can do with close fitting plastic. If you loosen up the tolerances it'll feel wobbly and cheap. I see cans of silicone in the future.

• Like 1

Correction. There are apparently verified reports of the Joy-Cons having intermittent connectivity issues. It's hoped that the big day one patch will be able to address the issues with dropped connections.

Day-one updates? Why couldn't they just flash the units prior to shipping them? My old VCS or Intellivision never needed a Day-1 update. Nor did my Apple II, and that was a whole bona-fide computer! Woot..

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 3

Day-one updates? Why couldn't they just flash the units prior to shipping them? My old VCS or Intellivision never needed a Day-1 update. Nor did my Apple II, and that was a whole bona-fide computer! Woot..

Yes, that's because back in those days bugs were called features and the computer ignorant public were none the wiser. Remember when debug was used to initialize your bad sector prone 30MB MFM HD? That was a feature damnit!

Edited by LiqMat
  • Like 2

One more week... Anyone know if Gamestop is doing a midnight launch?

Can anyone really do that? Aren't all the pre-orders sold out at this point?

Speaking of launch, apparently the Virtual Console will not be available at launch, and there's no date when it might be available (I wonder if that also includes the upgraded NES/SNES games we're supposed to be able to rent with a subscription each month, or those are considered outside the VC?). Right now there are only three games in the digital store, with two of them being Shovel Knight games. I assume that will expand by launch, at least with the retail launch games.

I also wonder why they didn't embargo the press until at least next week? It seems a lot of stuff is incomplete or not fully working. It's kind of an odd way to make a first impression.

• Like 1

Well, it wouldn't be the first time a console required one so it's hardly a Nintendo thing. Microsoft did the same with the Xbone. I suppose you can blame people's acceptance of excessive patching in the later couple of generations for making this kind of thing so commonplace. Back in the VCS/Intellivision/NES/SNES/etc eras, launching a new console with faulty firmware would have been the death of it - and thus companies tended to make their consoles weren't broken when they sold them for top dollar.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time a console required one so it's hardly a Nintendo thing. Microsoft did the same with the Xbone. I suppose you can blame people's acceptance of excessive patching in the later couple of generations for making this kind of thing so commonplace. Back in the VCS/Intellivision/NES/SNES/etc eras, launching a new console with faulty firmware would have been the death of it - and thus companies tended to make their consoles weren't broken when they sold them for top dollar.

It's not really a valid comparison. Systems of the past had to do far less than systems today. It's not really whether people have accepted it or not, it's the reality of how complex everything is. If you have a closed, non-connected box, it's far easier to account for everything than if you have something that's constantly evolving.

And yes, even Nintendo's Wii U required a massive (and slow) day one patch.

Can anyone really do that? Aren't all the pre-orders sold out at this point?

Speaking of launch, apparently the Virtual Console will not be available at launch, and there's no date when it might be available

I dunno. I wanna pick up my preorders and have an all night marathon with zelda... As for VC, well prolly get the usual drip feed. I registered my account on web and all my purchases are visible, so hello cross buy! :D

Yes, that's because back in those days bugs were called features and the computer ignorant public were none the wiser. Remember when debug was used to initialize your bad sector prone 30MB MFM HD? That was a feature damnit!

Oh man. Debug.

What a nasty piece of work that utility was. Ugh.

I see that there are quite a few Switch ads on YouTube lately. So it looks like they're at least making an attempt to hype it.

So essentially I'm buying an incomplete product.

As a consumer in 2017, yes, of course you are. This type of product that you buy today will be very different from what the product will be in six months, let alone years out. It's not a bad thing that, while the hardware will remain the same, the software will continue to evolve and advance.

• Like 2

I dunno. I wanna pick up my preorders and have an all night marathon with zelda... As for VC, well prolly get the usual drip feed. I registered my account on web and all my purchases are visible, so hello cross buy! :D

Well, for the launch, there won't be any VC at all, so the cross-buy thing is rather speculative. I wonder if trying to put something in place is part of what is holding them up implementing the VC at all? Frankly, it seems like they don't have the time to implement much. Strange, really. Hopefully there's a good reason for this "lean and mean" approach.

• Like 1