IGNORED

Centipede 2000

Willard

Could someone put the clip in MPEG format? Because it won't play on my Mac. Quicktime won't play it' date=' and the translation software to convert it to a playable form won't make a watchable copy either.[/quote']

Played okay on my Mac, had to download something though (QT automatically dl/ed the plug in for me).

I wouldn't be surprised if Atari had Minter working on another classic update like Centipede, but I don't think he was involved with this project. Dark Science was touting it as Centipede 3D (not 2000 IIRC) and had no idea if they would actually get the license or not.

• 1 month later...

Carl,

Don't remember if I ever got this on AA somewhere, so here it is... only a year later than promised. ;)

Somehow I missed this post before - that's an amazing clip.

According to Jeff from Dark Science, this is a clip from the engine running on real Jag hardware, and not a mock-up. It's short, but kind of cool, I think.

What did he say happened to the source code? Any chance of him

digging it out? I talked way back around Atari's demise to Jeff about

Centipede 2000, but his PC port of the RPG never appeared either.

Certainly it would be good to find out more about this lost project.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

• 9 years later...

TBF that 30% quote seems a little fanciful. What's seen in the video looks nothing more than some of that standard Atari stuff being put to use, even if it was entirely bespoke the results are almost identical, so it's hardly a huge loss.

Landscape, a few objects, no collision. Yeah, that's super early pre-Alpha stuff... that's a few steps back from square one on systems with real development environments and extensive libraries to work with.

• 3 years later...