IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

emkay doing a good thing

???

Could you explain, why I always have to to "yet impossible" stuff? 

I did not change my mind in the last 30 years. 

Also, this is partly a result of the great work by rensoup, offering a stable player. 

I did mention this on and on: The RMT is unstable. That's why my "experiments" never really sounded as intended. 

VinCool's 64kHz note table solved the issue, I was mentioning here (and a lot more in the past):

No one else was blaming it for the wrong pitch use.

The real fun part is:

rensoup don't really know what is the cause, but we wrote the needed development tools. Just by listening to others.

VinsCool understands what's going on and finds his own solutions. 

And I only had to send him one file.

And, I'm pretty sure, you still don't understand, what's going on. 

Possibly this helps?

wave.jpg.75d06cee9ab52a6d8d06ae771573ece9.jpg

This is build on 2 channels using ring modulation AND pulse width modulations, just single VBI programming of the tone generators. 

2 hours ago, ivop said:

@emkay Or share the .rmt on AtariAge instead of just YouTube videos. Nobody learns from YouTube videos.

Yeah. I was asking for the .rmt to be able to add portamento, among other things such as changing the octaves of some instruments, vibrato, etc.. If someone's already transcribed it to RMT, it would be much easier for everyone to make their own modifications of the transcription to experiment with it themselves rather than making a transcription from scratch again, right?

3 minutes ago, EnderDude said:

Yeah. I was asking for the .rmt to be able to add portamento, among other things such as changing the octaves of some instruments, vibrato, etc.. If someone's already transcribed it to RMT, it would be much easier for everyone to make their own modifications of the transcription to experiment with it themselves rather than making a transcription from scratch again, right?

Believe me, you might get crazy. 

RMT sounds fully different there. 

The timing, the pitch, the controls, AUDCTL .... everything is different. 

Btw. There are portamentos used, where they could be sat. 

If there was a tracker to build a library of usable sounds and tunes, I'd be the 1st to offer examples to the public.  

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Believe me, you might get crazy. 

Release fast, release often. Let us get crazy on your .rmt file!

Vinscool releases almost all his .rmt files. They might look like abracadabra to the unschooled eye, but I found them very inspiring!

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Polycounter Bass is mainly sounding not so straight. It moves to several typical "sound orbits" . Just like 3 different filter settings. It tends to be unstable , but if played in a defined row, the typical sound is always there.

• Like 3

One of your better feats! It sounds open, not the choked PWM sounds and/or chock-full of out-of-tune blips and bleeps.

As for the "orbits" as you call them, you can sometimes use a single frame of the bass with the harsh sound, but transposed. The harsh and soft sound are an octave apart. But that simulates slap bass, and sounds cool ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ivop said:

One of your better feats! It sounds open, not the choked PWM sounds and/or chock-full of out-of-tune blips and bleeps.

Different tastes and different meanings. I personally like it a lot. I really could imagine a puzzling game listening to it on and on.

1 minute ago, ivop said:

As for the "orbits" as you call them, you can sometimes use a single frame of the bass with the harsh sound, but transposed. The harsh and soft sound are an octave apart. But that simulates slap bass, and sounds cool ;)

Yes. "Slap Bass" is the correct meaning of it. 

It some case it is "perfect Pokey tuning" :D

1 minute ago, emkay said:

Different tastes and different meanings. I personally like it a lot. I really could imagine a puzzling game listening to it on and on.

You might have misunderstood me. When I said "One of your better feats!" , that was a compliment. I could listen to this several times, too.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ivop said:

You might have misunderstood me. When I said "One of your better feats!" , that was a compliment. I could listen to this several times, too.

The fun part is that every SID could be adapted, playing with the polycounter "orbits", as the bass is a weak point in that tunes, too. 

Since VinsCool did that nice notation correction, a lot tunes make just sense. 

It helps a lot to show my intentions of making Pokey music sounding better . 

Simply converting MOD files to 4 channels is even better working. 

Just some octave adjustments, some arpeggios....

4 channel pokey space fun

So any SID is more in range than before. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Since VinsCool did that nice notation correction, a lot tunes make just sense. 

If they are in a key that is compatible with VinsCool's intonation ;) And this song turned out nicely!

Somewhere on my todo-list it says create a spreadheet to generate a just inonated major scale in each of the twelve keys. Like how they tuned (forte)pianos back in the day. Before 12-TET ruined it all ;)

Also, run all distortion C notes through aubiopitch to know the exact frequency. Based on that, each of the twelve musical keys could be intonated to each of the seven notes per octave.

Like how Vinscool based Am/C/Dm etc... on A=443.9hz, in unison with the distortion C basses for these specific keys, and their chords. That could be extended to each of the twelve major/minor scales.

Edited by ivop
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ivop said:

Also, run all distortion C notes through aubiopitch to know the exact frequency. Based on that, each of the twelve musical keys could be intonated to each of the seven notes per octave.

I've already calculated most of the Distortion C pitches, as well as other modes I tuned so far in my notes if you are interested. Maybe not the most accurate measurement but I think it's good enough to know what frequencies they really are.
There's still a lot to polish and revisit but it's pretty usable for now I think!

2 hours ago, ivop said:

Somewhere on my todo-list it says create a spreadheet to generate a just inonated major scale in each of the twelve keys. Like how they tuned (forte)pianos back in the day. Before 12-TET ruined it all ;)

This would be incredibly useful for the approach I took for my frequencies tables, especially. :D 

7 hours ago, ivop said:

If they are in a key that is compatible with VinsCool's intonation ;) And this song turned out nicely!

The point is the 220 440 880 Hz correctness. And this seems correct enough even in the 8 bit resolution.

The 432 Hz calculation is just wrong at this point. Always was , and I have been told "it's good" ;)

Synth tunes were always based on 440Hz calculations. 

And, as long as a tune is based on notes and not on self playing samples, it will always be correct. 

I COULD have done the correction myself, but someone who is more into this type of music, might have sat one or the other pitch different. Even SIDs sound better (yet really great), (also the armageddon tune) . The "Zamzara" tune (Polycounter Bass) approves it. 

Also the basses. The correctness of sounding is 50% pitch and 50% volume adjustment. 

Edited by emkay