IGNORED

New AT Power Supply, options?

ifkz

So my AT power supply died while installing DOS floppy disk 2 of 3, what was the final stretch of rebuilding my newest classic PC, an off-branded 386sx-16. It clicks, and...at least there was no magic smoke. So far it seems the best option for a replacement is a Athena branded AT power supply for about $24 shipped from newegg (Athena Power AP-AT30 300W AT Power Supply)...is this about the only option besides a used vintage unit?

So my AT power supply died while installing DOS floppy disk 2 of 3, what was the final stretch of rebuilding my newest classic PC, an off-branded 386sx-16. It clicks, and...at least there was no magic smoke. So far it seems the best option for a replacement is a Athena branded AT power supply for about $24 shipped from newegg (Athena Power AP-AT30 300W AT Power Supply)...is this about the only option besides a used vintage unit?

I found this one also: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH3H76821

I have used those ATX to AT adapters in the past, couple things to know is that a lot of newer ATX doesnt have -5 volts, which probally wont be an issue unless its very a pretty old system (most of the older ATX supply designs do have it though, usually in the smaller wattage off brand ones)

last one I bought I got for like 3 bucks off ebay, but took 3 weeks to get here via china.

I do happen to have an AT power supply in house I bought for the last 486 I sold, it came "free" with a 300 watt brand new ATX supply. It does smell faintly of tobacco smoke, and Im pretty sure it works (without getting off my butt I think its a 230 watt, I can confirm later), if you want to, I would let you have it for the price of postage

shoot me a PM if interested

Edited by Osgeld

Wow, thanks for all of the pointers; I just ordered a StarTech unit since it seemed to be of slightly higher quality and it ended up being competitively priced.

I also emailed member Osgeld above to see about his, since this is classic 386/486 computer #3 and these PSU's are not getting any younger...glad I did not opt for the ATX to AT adapter after the notes!