IGNORED

Best WRESTLING Games: US & JAPAN - Are you rrrready?!

John Riggs is a long time wrestling fan and has played most wrestling games ever released, both in the US and Japan. Today he talks about the best wrestling games ever made for the NES, Famicom, Super Famicom, PS1, PS2, GameCube, Dreamcast, GBA and much much more!

Games Shown:
World Wrestling (NES)
Toukon Club (Famicom)
Zen-Nippon Pro Wrestling: Ouja no Kon (PS1)
SmackDown! Here Comes the PAIN (PS2)
Burning Pro Wrestling (Super Famicom)
Giant Gram 2000: All-Japan Pro Wrestling 3 (DC)
Virtual Pro Wrestling 2: Oudou Keishou (N64)
WCW/NWO Revenge (N64)
I love bringing on special guests who can talk about a subject like this to a complete newbie like myself. I learned a lot, include... what the heck a "bra & panty match" was!

Games Shown:
some game that doesn't matter
Virtual Pro Wrestling 2: Oudou Keishou (N64)
WCW/NWO Revenge (N64)

The wrestling game was perfected in 1998 with THQ/AKI's Revenge. World Tour, which came before it, and Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy, which came after it, are also excellent games. Virtual Pro 1+2 are also amazing, for the initiated.

Incredible rosters, great gameplay engine, superb control. Look nowhere else for wrestling action. And the best part....they're still dirt cheap.

• Like 1

The wrestling game was perfected in 1998 with THQ/AKI's Revenge. World Tour, which came before it, and Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy, which came after it, are also excellent games. Virtual Pro 1+2 are also amazing, for the initiated.

Incredible rosters, great gameplay engine, superb control. Look nowhere else for wrestling action. And the best part....they're still dirt cheap.

No Mercy was the perfection. I have not played a wrestling game since that equals the playability and customization of this game.

• Like 1

No Mercy was the perfection. I have not played a wrestling game since that equals the playability and customization of this game.

I might almost agree but But BUT....No Mercy does not run at a consistent play speed, dependent on the number players active in a match. 4 or 3 player matches run slower than 2 player matches, so a battle royal where the last of three players is eliminated suddenly speeds up. This adversely affects the timing of blocks/shrugs/grabs mid match. Still an amazing game, but not perfect. (It also wasted programmers time and memory space by including the divas--they could have added 8 more wrestlers worth using).

I would also argue that, while the customization options that WWF2000 and No Mercy added were very deep, it is far too easy to make OP custom wrestlers, which is all most people did. Revenge is better FOR it's limitation IMO.

Lastly, WCW>WWF. ;)

Can't go wrong with any of the AKI games. Even the later "non-wrestling" wrestling games like Def Jam Vendetta and Fight for New York. As much fun as those games are, though, it's depressing that they're still better than anything being released now (can I have a great Lucha Underground game, please?).

• Like 2

Oh, I'll be watching this one later! ;-)

Wrestling games are awesome, and I like picking them up when I see them. One of the ones that gets a bad rep that I like is Showdown: Legends of Wrestling on the PS2. Yeah, it's a little glitchy, but the roster is incredible:

1 Dory Funk, Jr.
2 Sabu
3 Terry Funk
4 British Bulldog
5 Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat
6 Jerry "The King" Lawler
7 Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
8 Hacksaw Jim Duggan
9 The Sheik
10 Ivan Putski
11 "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert
12 King Kong Bundy
13 Dynamite Kid
14 Abdullah The Butcher
15 "Superstar" Billy Graham
16 "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff
17 Iron Sheik
18 Nikolai Volkoff
19 Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
20 Rick Martel
21 Mr. Fuji
22 Rocky Johnson
23 Kerry Von Erich
24 Owen Hart
25 Harley Race
26 Bret "Hitman" Hart
27 "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
28 Big John Studd
29 "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner
30 "Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart
31 Bob Backlund
32 Koko B. Ware
33 Kevin Von Erich
34 The Road Warriors [Hawk & Animal] (Tag Team)
35 Curt Hennig
36 Greg "The Hammer" Valentine
37 Capt. Lou Albano
38 Brian Pillman
39 One Man Gang
40 George "The Animal" Steele
41 Mil Mascaras
42 Tito Santana
43 Rick Steiner
44 Cowboy Bob Orton
45 Nikita Koloff
46 Eddie Guerrero
47 Fritz Von Erich
48 Ivan Koloff
49 Baron Von Raschke
50 Don Muraco
51 Sid Vicious
52 Ultimate Warrior
53 Jake "The Snake" Roberts
54 Dusty Rhodes
55 Diamond Dallas Page
56 Sting
57 Randy "Macho Man" Savage
58 Hollywood Hulk Hogan
59 Andre The Giant
60 Rick Rude
61 Bruno Sammartino
62 the Nasty Boys [brian Knobs & Jerry Sags](Tag Team)
63 Bam Bam Bigelow
64 Grand Wizard
65 Andy Kaufman
I've also put a good amount of time into the PS3 version of WWE 2K14. It has a History of Wrestlemania mode which is a ton of fun. The create-a-wrestler engine is especially awesome. I even made Mike Haggar from Final Fight/Saturday Night Slam Masters!
  • Like 2

Oh, I'll be watching this one later! ;-)

Wrestling games are awesome, and I like picking them up when I see them. One of the ones that gets a bad rep that I like is Showdown: Legends of Wrestling on the PS2. Yeah, it's a little glitchy, but the roster is incredible:

1 Dory Funk, Jr.
2 Sabu
3 Terry Funk
4 British Bulldog
5 Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat
6 Jerry "The King" Lawler
7 Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
8 Hacksaw Jim Duggan
9 The Sheik
10 Ivan Putski
11 "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert
12 King Kong Bundy
13 Dynamite Kid
14 Abdullah The Butcher
15 "Superstar" Billy Graham
16 "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff
17 Iron Sheik
18 Nikolai Volkoff
19 Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
20 Rick Martel

Dear god, you aren't messing around!! :)

This is a good one, but I like WWF WrestleFest even more. I wish they would make an updated version of WrestleFest with a vastly increased roster and release it on a home console. Tag team with Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior every time, baby!

I like both games, and both came on the scene during my peak arcade years, but I personally like Superstars a bit better overall. I think Wrestlefest was a step forward in graphics and game options (match types, 4 players, etc.) but a step backward in the actual game play "engine." I don't like how you just mash an "action" button and the game chooses what move to do for you, or how your opponent lies in a diagonal on the mat to signify that he is finished and you can trigger your one-button-press finisher.

Oh, and in Superstars, Macho Man and Big Boss Man every time. :D

Edited by Cynicaster

Speaking of wrestling arcade games, anyone else remember The Main Event?

mainevt.png

Konami-MainEvent-dedicated.JPG

hqdefault.jpg

It was part of the 80's Konami "Let's get actual people dressed up as the game characters for the side and marquee art even though they will look like complete idiots!" series of arcade games. There's a joystick and one big button. That's it. Yet somehow, I played the ever loving crap out of this one.

And the art is awesome.

maineventsa.gif

Last night, I FINALLY got around to actually watching the video. Great stuff as usual!

I also realized something: I think classic wrestling games are going to see a spike in price soon. Right now, they are dirt cheap. Even the N64 ones are still in the bargain bin, and everything N64 has gone nuts lately. Now is the time to buy. I'm going to be hitting up the flea markets and retro game stores soon for some of the classics I don't have yet.

• Like 1

Speaking of wrestling arcade games, anyone else remember The Main Event?

mainevt.png

Konami-MainEvent-dedicated.JPG

hqdefault.jpg

It was part of the 80's Konami "Let's get actual people dressed up as the game characters for the side and marquee art even though they will look like complete idiots!" series of arcade games. There's a joystick and one big button. That's it. Yet somehow, I played the ever loving crap out of this one.

And the art is awesome.

maineventsa.gif

"Stomping... stomping...."

I remember seeing this game at the mall and being very disappointed by the single-button control scheme.

Speaking of wrestling games in the bargain bin...

Fished this one out of a milk crate of sports games at a flea market last weekend. I've heard really good things. Can't wait to try it out!

Best three bucks you have ever spent!

Best wrestlers to use include: Giant, Scott Norton, Kim Chee, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner, Brian Adams, Hawk Hana.

Kanyon/Rigor Mortis has one of the best KO attacks in the game, though his move set is not the greatest. Hold that strike button down, don't move. Use that kick! KOing people is SUPER SATISFYING!