IGNORED

Arctic Fox/EA games

nd2003grad

I've seen a lot of info on this and its copyright protection around the web, but it comes from a wide range of time periods. I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get this game and other EA titles working. I'm running A500 3.1. I loved this game as a kid on DOS but drooled over Amiga. I understand there's a chance of running it with a degrading program? I can't figure out relokick and I'm new to this whole thing. I just figured out what X-Copy is, so I'm getting somewhere! What a help that is.

OS 3.1 is the problem on some of those early EA games. Need Kickstart 1.1 or 1.2 IIRC. 1.3 even breaks a very small handful of the earliest (and poorly written they'll tell you) games.

The simpler Degrader won't be enough, but Tude might if you have a 1.1/1.2 Kickstart image. ReloKick (can't find right now) too if you have enough RAM, but you're best bet in getting some of those older titles to play nice is to get a physical Kickstart switcher and run either Kickstart 1.2 and 3.1 by the flick of a switch OR do the WHDLoad thing. Yes, even with the 68000, enough RAM and a hard drive, can use WHDLoad on a 3.1 equipped A500. If you have an accelerator, even better.

The ACA500 accelerator is excellent in this regard. Can boot multiple Kickstarts and OS scenarios along with modern day CF storage as a hard drive and way to easily transfer files from your modern PeeCee over to the Amiga. WHDLoad works great with this inexpensive multi-purpose device - have one and love it!

There's also MKick which might work for soft booting different Kickstarts on your machine...

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this--I've been unable to get this to work correctly, despite learning a lot about softkick. Most of what I find concerns how to softkick a 1200 machine to act like a 500, I'm trying to figure out how to kick a 3.1 KS A500 to preferably a 1.2 or lower. So consider this a bump and maybe someone will know wth I should do!

My Amiga knowledge is starting to get a bit rusty with age. I bought my A1000 about 6 months after the release. I remember that quite a few of the early EA games would only work with Kickstart 1.1. I kept Kickstart 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 disks beside my A1000 at all times just to allow some of the older titles to work. Some games would refuse to run if you had more than 512 KB of RAM.

I'm completely out of touch with the various utilities to load Kickstart images. Can any of them load Kickstart 1.1?

• Like 1

My Amiga knowledge is starting to get a bit rusty with age. I bought my A1000 about 6 months after the release. I remember that quite a few of the early EA games would only work with Kickstart 1.1. I kept Kickstart 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 disks beside my A1000 at all times just to allow some of the older titles to work. Some games would refuse to run if you had more than 512 KB of RAM.

I'm completely out of touch with the various utilities to load Kickstart images. Can any of them load Kickstart 1.1?

Yes, this is exactly what I'm trying to figure out too!!! I have a feeling 1.3 and possibly 1.2 aren't low enough.

• 1 month later...