IGNORED

Picked up my first amiga today.

cjameslv

So a member in our commodore club was getting rid an extra Amiga 500 setup for a really low price. I've never owned an Amiga before but I said what the hell i will give it a go! Well I'm glad i did and i went over today to pick it up. It came with a hard drive, 1.5mb memory upgrade, some magazine disks and an rgb video cable. Played with it a bit and i like how it boots from the hard drive. It has workbench 1.3 so i think it will be compatible with most of the games i'm looking to play on it. Pretty excited as i normally only collect Atari computer and Commdore 64 stuff. So guess i'm branching out! Snapped a couple pics (sorry quality kinda sucks):

Complementary bath and cleaning (i do this to all my stuff before i set it up in my game room):

2ignmgl.jpg

All cleaned up and ready to go setup:

530f1e.jpg

Edited by cjameslv
  • Like 8

Nice, looks clean. Got my first 500 this last summer. haven't booted it beings I don't have work bench disks. Got other projects going on now.. But very cool

I can make you a copy of the wb1.3 set i got. Send me a pm.

Good job w/cleanup. Love it! Git rid of them cooties!

Thanks, yeah it had a lot of dust bunnies and was a bit grimy. Came out nice and clean though.

Looks nice - I had a 1000 that I sold, but I've been wanting to replace it with a 500. Most of them don't look as nice as that one these days.

I like how you can slid the keyboard under the 1000 case. It had a really cool design. Good luck with the 500 search too!

Nice looking a500 indeed. My a500's are all pretty yellowed. One i have gutted, because it was beyond repairs, hacked the keyboard to be used with my cd32.

I need to have a deeper look into amiga memory. All my a500's have 1mb memory, as does my cdtv. But with the cdtv i had to add a switch in order to disable the cdrom rom, to free up memory, otherwise Knights of the Sky wouldn't boot. I know that some games only play samples if they have more then 512k of ram available, but i don't know of any programs/games needing more then 1 mb. I'm not a big expert in amiga stuff. I do have a 8mb sidecare memory expension, but i never use it since i don't know any programs that use it, other then workbench or making ramdrives.

• Like 1

So a member in our commodore club was getting rid an extra Amiga 500 setup for a really low price. I've never owned an Amiga before but I said what the hell i will give it a go! Well I'm glad i did and i went over today to pick it up. It came with a hard drive, 1.5mb memory upgrade, some magazine disks and an rgb video cable. Played with it a bit and i like how it boots from the hard drive. It has workbench 1.3 so i think it will be compatible with most of the games i'm looking to play on it. Pretty excited as i normally only collect Atari computer and Commdore 64 stuff. So guess i'm branching out! Snapped a couple pics (sorry quality kinda sucks):

Complementary bath and cleaning (i do this to all my stuff before i set it up in my game room):

I do the same when restoring machines. I had a VIC-20 that had a spider family living in it. Bath tub it was for the case. Reminds me of when I was cleaning up a pair of Sega Genesis controllers and I had all the buttons soaking in a sink full of soapy water and the overflow drain was just big enough to suck the buttons in. I had to disassemble the pipes underneath to retrieve them. A "doh!" moment for sure.

• Like 2

I do the same when restoring machines. I had a VIC-20 that had a spider family living in it. Bath tub it was for the case. Reminds me of when I was cleaning up a pair of Sega Genesis controllers and I had all the buttons soaking in a sink full of soapy water and the overflow drain was just big enough to suck the buttons in. I had to disassemble the pipes underneath to retrieve them. A "doh!" moment for sure.

Yeah sink drains are scary, i been using a strainer in the sink so i don't have nothing go down it.

• 4 weeks later...

2ignmgl.jpg

530f1e.jpg

How did you clean up the keyboard? Can you explain in details, if possible. I read the Atari 8-bit recommendations. I have an amiga 600.

Thanks,

How did you clean up the keyboard? Can you explain in details, if possible. I read the Atari 8-bit recommendations. I have an amiga 600.

Thanks,

Not much details involved but here ya go! Disassembled the keyboard & washed keys with soap (hand soap to be exact) and water. Cleaned the pcb with rubbing alcohol and q-tips across the contacts. Eveything else was wiped with glass cleaner and a cloth. Hope this helps.

Ahh a note i forgot: i use an old tooth brush to scrub in between small areas and crevices. So don't throw out your old toothbrushes, they still have purpose!

Edited by cjameslv

Not much details involved but here ya go! Disassembled the keyboard & washed keys with soap (hand soap to be exact) and water. Cleaned the pcb with rubbing alcohol and q-tips across the contacts. Eveything else was wiped with glass cleaner and a cloth. Hope this helps.

Ahh a note i forgot: i use an old tooth brush to scrub in between small areas and crevices. So don't throw out your old toothbrushes, they still have purpose!

Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks,

I've put my keycaps in pantyhose and run them through the dishwasher. Works very well. And if it has a rubber membrane pad, that goes in there too.

You will want to open up that 1.5mb wedge and remove the battery from it sooner rather than later...

Vote up!! Remove the memory expansion from the trapdoor and desolder the Varta type battery that lurks there. Also in the near future you should really change all the caps of the motherboard. They are over 20 years old and in the end leak with nasty results.

Congrats on your new miggy! You've got a really nice bundle/setup there - kinda rare too (the hard disk).

Vote up!! Remove the memory expansion from the trapdoor and desolder the Varta type battery that lurks there. Also in the near future you should really change all the caps of the motherboard. They are over 20 years old and in the end leak with nasty results.

Congrats on your new miggy! You've got a really nice bundle/setup there - kinda rare too (the hard disk).

Yep, good advice! I changed it awhile back when i installed my indivision: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259562-so-this-arrived-today/

Scroll to the bottom for some pics too :)

Yes he does! :) It took me forever to find myself an GVP Impact A500 for my A500. And then finding extra memory for the darn thing.