IGNORED

Super Pro Boxing and SP Hockey 2

intvdave

These are welcome changes to a game that was obviously designed in a hurry. Thanks for improving my favorite Intellivision sports game David! Looking forward to the ROM. Wonder if someone will do some new artwork or make an updated attempt at the old one? This will obviously be something for the Ultimate Intellivision Flashback. :grin:

Edited by atarifan88

David, these changes sound fantastic!

I have to toss my hat into the board release ring as well. Between the hockey league we have on this message board already, the numerous people that buy any new game release just to maintain a complete homebrew set, and the number of us that are new to the homebrew scene I believe you have easily enough built in sales to match the numbers you did for Mystic Castle and Super Pro Baseball.

My only question is what are you going to call it? Making World Championship Baseball into Super Pro Baseball was a natural since there was no SP Baseball released by INTV but how will you update Slap Shot?

Slap Shot Ultra Pro Hockey

Slap Shot II: Revenge of the Goalie

Face Off Super Pro Hockey

???

David, these changes sound fantastic!

I have to toss my hat into the board release ring as well. Between the hockey league we have on this message board already, the numerous people that buy any new game release just to maintain a complete homebrew set, and the number of us that are new to the homebrew scene I believe you have easily enough built in sales to match the numbers you did for Mystic Castle and Super Pro Baseball.

My only question is what are you going to call it? Making World Championship Baseball into Super Pro Baseball was a natural since there was no SP Baseball released by INTV but how will you update Slap Shot?

Slap Shot Ultra Pro Hockey

Slap Shot II: Revenge of the Goalie

Face Off Super Pro Hockey

???

There is no sales numbers to meet and is not a driving factor on what and how I release games. I did play the hockey game as a kid but it was not a favorite of mine. The reason I am working on SP Hockey is because it is so bad (I am not looking to debate this point). The sports titles are not a favorite genre for the console. I am hoping that there will be a few of you out there that will get some pleasure from the updates I am doing. SP Baseball is not perfect but I think it is more fun. This game will still not be perfect but I am hoping you will find it more fun.

I have not put much attention to a name yet as I am still working on the game. You will find out what I call it once I release it :)

• Like 2

I don't think anyone would debate you on all the flaws present in the original Super Pro Hockey. It had much potential but fell short on most of that. Everyone here is just happy to see someone getting the game to reach said potential.

As for your motivations, they are not in question either. I mistook your statement about not enough interest in the game to mean there would not be enough potential buyers to justify the cost of a board release. My apologies.

I look forward to seeing the finished product as well as whatever name you come up with. I'm sure both will be fantastic. And don't worry about perfection. Just making Slap Shot work properly is a huge success for us hockey gamers here.

Wow, I didn't think you could save this game!

But it actually sounds like it is worth playing now.

NHL and Boxing were the only 2 sport games I never got in to. This could be changing.

Thanks for making these updates, I am looking forward to playing Blades of Steel: Super Pro Hockey 2

8 = puck is shot in the direction your man is moving in

Because the players slide when changing directions, you could be pointing the disc for a shot/pass in one direction but the puck goes in a different direction. In "NHL" shots/passes always go in disc direction.

Edit: Suggestion for shooting: Remove the sliding feature when changing player direction, shot waits until button is released, shoot in disc direction at time button is released, dont change player direction while button is held, increase speed of shot the longer button is held. And have passes automatically directed to a teamate.

Edited by mr_me

There is no sales numbers to meet and is not a driving factor on what and how I release games. I did play the hockey game as a kid but it was not a favorite of mine. The reason I am working on SP Hockey is because it is so bad (I am not looking to debate this point). The sports titles are not a favorite genre for the console. I am hoping that there will be a few of you out there that will get some pleasure from the updates I am doing. SP Baseball is not perfect but I think it is more fun. This game will still not be perfect but I am hoping you will find it more fun.

I have not put much attention to a name yet as I am still working on the game. You will find out what I call it once I release it :)

Hey David, why don't we collaborate on one of these titles?

• Like 6

For me, hockey is a wrap! Below are the latest updates to the game. I want to believe all the bugs of the original game have been worked out. If you know of other bugs in the original game, please let me know. I will now spend time to play test the game to confirm it plays the way I want. Tennis took me about 3 months to play test and baseball took 2 years (hahahaha)

On to boxing!

11 = rewrote penalty carry over period code
12 = added overtime
disable controller at end of game. Need to reset console to start a new game
updated name of game
13 = added congratulations message at end of game
variable cheering time after goal is made
fixed bug that occurs when the keypad is pressed when the men are coming out to ice
updated goalie colors
updated goalie locations
enlarged scoreboard

• Like 4

For me, hockey is a wrap! Below are the latest updates to the game. I want to believe all the bugs of the original game have been worked out. If you know of other bugs in the original game, please let me know. I will now spend time to play test the game to confirm it plays the way I want. Tennis took me about 3 months to play test and baseball took 2 years (hahahaha)

On to boxing!

11 = rewrote penalty carry over period code

12 = added overtime

disable controller at end of game. Need to reset console to start a new game

updated name of game

13 = added congratulations message at end of game

variable cheering time after goal is made

fixed bug that occurs when the keypad is pressed when the men are coming out to ice

updated goalie colors

updated goalie locations

enlarged scoreboard

Dave,

if you are looking for people to test the ROM out, I would be willing! :)