IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

Depends on what you mean by "GUI". The on-screen display UI (OSD) is included (ScrlLock, TAB).

There is the unofficial MAMEUI which is Windows-only.

There is also QMC2 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/qmc2/) which is a launcher with GUI for MAME, but it is not used during runtime.

I never used a special GUI while working with MAME.  Anything I need is provided by command line options, and I usually run MAME by starting the respective script file.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I never used a special GUI while working with MAME.  Anything I need is provided by command line options, and I usually run MAME by starting the respective script file.

It ain't MAME if the startup script doesn't at least take up 3 lines. ?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just to remind you, MAME 0.239 has been released on Dec 29. The most important changes are the inclusion of the new boot EPROM for the Geneve, and of course the WHTech SCSI adapter. The Block mode DMA (in MDOS selected by PDMA ON) does not yet work.

Right now, TIImageTool does not work with SCSI images; this is currently being worked on. (The SCSI features in TIMT are limited to the file system, but do not work with MAME CHD image files for the SCSI drive, which have 512-byte sectors.) This means you will have to do file management within MDOS or other suitable tools inside the emulation.

• Like 3

Apologies if this is basic but how exactly would I upgrade to the latest version? When I do a sudo apt-get upgrade mame I am told that I already have the latest version (2.20).
You compile from source or grab a build off whtech ftp

The official package version is always behind by at least one or two versions

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

@VorticonAs you seem to be using Linux, you should consider pulling the latest version via git and building it from sources. Unlike many other OSS projects, this is really simple and only requires you to run the same build command every time that you update your local source copy.

See also https://www.mizapf.de/en/ti99/mame/buildmame

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mizapf - worked like a champ. I was also confused like @hloberg on 2.00 not booting.

My follow on question, is there a switch you can run on the command line with mame - that will tell you the switches you can use? Because I didn't know about -bios and I'm already using a lot of switches...

D:\mame>mame geneve -bios 1.00 -peb:slot4 memex -peb:slot3 horizon -peb:slot5 tirs232 -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h2 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h3 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:f3 525dd -peb:slot8:hfdc:f4 525dd -hard1 genos7boot.HD -hard2 Bootdisk2.HD -hard3 Bootdisk3.HD -flop1 DSDD1.dsk -flop2 DSDD2.hfe -flop3 DSDD3.dsk -flop4 DSDD4.dsk -serl1 socket.localhost:10000
Average speed: 100.00% (35 seconds)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hloberg said:

I upgraded the genmod to bios 2.00 and it now wants to only boot from floppy. Is that correct?  also, if you aren't using a Tipi is there any reason to upgrade to 2.00? of course that might be a better question for @9640News

Not sure why MAME would be failing to boot from floppy only.  What controllers/CRU's do you have things configured?

I have not heard reported any issues with V2.00 and booting from floppy only systems.  I know things worked well with the HFDC present, and I think one or more users reported things worked fine with a SCSI and IDE systems.

Beery

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

I just remembered you need a new boot loader. I have a LOAD-SCS file on my SCSI drive; you will have to put the LOAD-MFM into the DSK1 subdirectory if you want to boot from a HFDC drive.

Yep, that is likely the issue.  New boot loader needed as V2.0 removes the "/" and replaces it with a "-".

Beery

5 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Not sure why MAME would be failing to boot from floppy only.  What controllers/CRU's do you have things configured?

I have not heard reported any issues with V2.00 and booting from floppy only systems.  I know things worked well with the HFDC present, and I think one or more users reported things worked fine with a SCSI and IDE systems.

Beery

V1.00 boots fine in MAME from HFDC hard drive.

as for the SCSI just added to my HSGPL setup, got it to work fine. Way I did it was in TIimageTool I create a standard size .HD and uncheck Format and set sector length to 512 to create a blank drive.

then use DU2k. choose Initialize and format. then SCS and pick your drive. set the SCSI name then exit DU2K when done. test and seems to work. 

but it doesn't look like can reopen the SCSI HD in TIImageTool, yet.

By the way, you can refer to the drive as SCS1 or WDS1.

attached is DU2k, WHTSCSI ROM and a blank SCSI HD.

oh, I don't seem to have figured out how to get to boot from SCSI if it's even possible.

SCSI.zip

Edited by hloberg
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dhe said:

My follow on question, is there a switch you can run on the command line with mame - that will tell you the switches you can use? Because I didn't know about -bios and I'm already using a lot of switches...

The BIOS switch is a core MAME switch (I would have named it differently if it were for the Geneve EPROM only), and these switches can also be used in mame.ini. You can list the switches with "mame -showusage" on the command line. Look out for "CORE MISC OPTIONS".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hloberg said:

but it doesn't look like can reopen the SCSI HD in TIImageTool, yet.

oh, I don't seem to have figured out how to get to boot from SCSI if it's even possible.

Yes, TIMT currently requires all media to have 256-byte sectors. I am rewriting portions of TIMT for quite some time now, hoping to finish that soon (i.e. this year).

I can boot from SCSI, actually. I put the SYSTEM-SYS and LOAD-SCS in the root directory.

• Like 1