IGNORED

Wanted: The Catacombs of Your Mind (Compute!'s BASIC Game)

ballyalley

I have been going through games in some of the various Atari books from Compute! I'm surprised to find that quite a few of these games are difficult for me to find online (I figured that all of this software was archived on Atarimania by now). It doesn't matter to me much when I can't find one Atari game, as quite a few of the games from these Compute! books are easy enough to find and play.

The most recent book that I'm going through is Compute!'s Atari Collection, Volume 2. There is a game in it that I can't find called The Catacombs of Your Mind by Doug Wheeler. The description from the book reads:

"This graphics-based adventure game has all the features of an adventure plus graphics that produce a visual image of the game's maze."

Normally, I just skip a game and move on to the next one when I can't find it. But, this case is a little different, for while searching for the game, I came across the programmer's own webpage where he talks about the game (he programmed it as a sophomore in high school). Even he doesn't have a copy of his own game-- and he is looking for one because he wants to take screenshots of it. Here's Doug Wheeler's page:

http://doug-wheeler.com/the-catacombs-of-your-mind/

Does anyone have a copy of The Catacombs of Your Mind? I'd like to check it out, and it seems so would the game's author!

Adam

https://archive.org/stream/ataribooks-computes-atari-collection-vol-2/computesataricollectionvol2#page/n197/mode/2up/search/catacombs

page 197 198... with this link the markers should be lit up on the bottom of the page showing you all the catacombs references within the book

use the plain text download function(pdf/epub), strip off the proof reader header before each line...

save the file as an 8.3 name. Then do any of these (1)use a blank atr and move it into there and then use (2)ape((3)drop file into a folder and use pc mirror), 4 aspeqt((5)same deal pclink), (6)sd/sio or some similar device/method to get it on your Atari

then use BASIC

ENTER "Dn:filename.ext"

use the listing from the archive to tidy it up and fix atascii if it got messed up

a number of converters exist to help automate some of this for you.... Someone might post the links and/or the converter to make it easier.

or they might just do it for us and post it.... :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 3 years later...
On 9/8/2020 at 1:51 AM, www.atarimania.com said:

Just found the program ["The Catacombs of Your Mind" on AtariMania.]

That game didn't used to be hosted there.  I wonder when it was added...?  I've bookmarked the page to remind me to check it out sometime.  If they can contact the author at his webpage (see the first post), I'm sure he would like to hear about it too.

Adam

1 minute ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Errr... The very reason I posted that message was to let people know I had just added the program to our database.

Oh, cool!  Thanks for posting it.  Did you type it in yourself or just find it.  I say "just" find it, but I looked for the program everywhere I could think of that usually hosts Atari software without coming across it.  No matter how you got the software, that's great that it's available to play now.  If anyone plays it, it would be cool to see a short video of the game in action.

Adam