IGNORED

The Jaglink Peripheral

Rick Dangerous

The Jaglinks...anyone on here have two networked Jags setup.

I have a LCD and CRT TV setup downstairs, both with Jaguars which I linked up a few months back.

I have two copies of Aircars and Battlesphere that I will play with friends and.....its pretty cool!

My eventual goals are:

-Get two copies of Aircars KA for the best networked version of that game.

-If the buddy networking code is ever fixed for Doom, have two carts of that game made (with the patch) and play some serious two player co-op and death match.

I actually only have one copy of Doom right now but i've heard the game constantly crashes when networked so haven't bothered to pick up a second.

Anyone else have a Jaglink setup? Any other games i'm missing or things I should try? Please discuss! Another interested and underutilized peripheral (like the team tap) but hopefully not for long... I'm thinking 16 player bomberman here ;)

post-38373-0-77925700-1481901557_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-70700400-1481901855_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I have two patched (with no6) Dooms setup using the Jaglink. Haven't played them in a while but was cool to experience the less frequent crashing for a while.

Wasn't Carl (of Songbird) working on fixing the bug for good?

Once the SD cart is out, and a crash free version of the game is available, I could see demand for this peripheral (which is currently more or less non-existent due to the price of aircars and battlesphere) really rising.

Yes, Carl was going to town on some code for a while. He asked for people to test and let him know but the thread didn't move for a month. When I finally made my carts and started testing vigorously, it appeared he'd already moved on to his next project. Said he may take a look at it again sometime. Now that I know how to cut up the ROM and can flash it to Skunkboards quickly, I wait with Jaglinks dangling for the thread to begin again. It was so close..

• Like 1

Right

Edit:

And Carl, if you're reading this, there won't be any wait time for results if you pick it up again. As soon as the patch is released I plan to hack a ROM with it, upload it for everyone and post my findings asap. So, don't hold back :thumbsup:

Those with s/catboxes don't need Jaglinks, right?

Correct, though the Jaglinks are a lot cheaper for those without. I have a catbox but if you move you jag at all (I do pull mine out to play) it falls off so mine is a $300 paperweight right now. This is the most cost effective modern solution that is similar to those cat/scat boxes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-Jaguar-Multi-IO-Board-Deluxe-Model-JagLink2-RGB-Svideo-Headphone-Amp-/182379693622?hash=item2a76ad4636:g:TzYAAOSw44BYIh2Z

• Like 1

I did it ONCE... like 10 years ago. I have the Jag-Link, and two Doom carts. But haven't gotten around to doing it since.

Back in the day (early to mid 90s), we'd have "LAN parties" where a bunch of friends would come over with their 486s and Pentium 60s and we'd link them together using Linksys cards. It was a token-ring configuration with terminators and coax cabling. It was awesome, ahah. We didn't really know what to do, but we'd run LSL.COM and ETHER.COM that came with the card, and it would magically work when we ran DOOM Setup.

Good times. There were some other games we used to play, but I can't remember.

Correct, though the Jaglinks are a lot cheaper for those without. I have a catbox but if you move you jag at all (I do pull mine out to play) it falls off so mine is a $300 paperweight right now. This is the most cost effective modern solution that is similar to those cat/scat boxes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-Jaguar-Multi-IO-Board-Deluxe-Model-JagLink2-RGB-Svideo-Headphone-Amp-/182379693622?hash=item2a76ad4636:g:TzYAAOSw44BYIh2Z

I have both a scat and a cat box - I guess I'm sorted for networking. Don't have a lead though..

I'm not sure whether the demand will rise for jaglinks after the SD card is released. Can you actually easily get Aircars ROMs etc - and the majority (unlike us) have only one jaguar I'd say.

I have both a scat and a cat box - I guess I'm sorted for networking. Don't have a lead though..

I'm not sure whether the demand will rise for jaglinks after the SD card is released. Can you actually easily get Aircars ROMs etc - and the majority (unlike us) have only one jaguar I'd say.

Anyone crazy enough to have one should be good for two I'd say. Especially with a working doom to sweeten the deal.

Roms are out there for just out everything? You want Aircars? I can get you an Aircars ROM by 2pm... (With apologies for the obscure big Lebowski reference.)

Can you guys expand on the multiple RJ11 ports? Saw that on the ebay item linked above a couple weeks back & was perplexed. I was just reading the scatbox FAQ, & looks like there are a couple forms of Jag networking?

- The Jag Link method which these AV boxes can do as well

- A secondary "cat box" method? Which I'm assuming allows you to link more than 2 jag's together?

Also, do you guys really have 15khz CRT VGA monitors laying around or do you use sometype of VGA to HDMI that also handles that lower refresh rate?

I know, I know, I need to get back to the Doom code. I had a lot of fun working on that over the summer when I had some free time, but then I started on the Jag CD Unleashed code (and didn't finish it either), and then I started another micro-project which will be released in early 2017 for the Jaguar... :D

One reason I haven't gotten back to the Doom code is that it takes hours of testing to know if the networking code is working. On the last version I released, I had tested it 3 times for 1 hour each with zero failures, so I assumed it was fixed. It will take me a while to get back in the groove with building the code and remembering how to interpret the random hex data I throw up on the screen. ;)

• Like 3

Anyone crazy enough to have one should be good for two I'd say. Especially with a working doom to sweeten the deal.

Roms are out there for just out everything? You want Aircars? I can get you an Aircars ROM by 2pm... (With apologies for the obscure big Lebowski reference.)

"We sell Aircars ROM's and Aircars ROM's accessories"

At least I think that's it...

• 1 month later...

Battlesphere Network Question;

When networking 2 Jags and 2 BattleSphere's can I see the other players ship and/or vice versa?

Thanks.

Hi Randy!

Yes, you can see the other ship and they can see you. Doing flybys is one of the coolest looking things in the game to me.

• Like 2

Hi Randy!

Yes, you can see the other ship and they can see you. Doing flybys is one of the coolest looking things in the game to me.

Yep. Sadly, I've never played more than 3 player linked BS, though.

For a while I did keep two Jags linked, with two TVs, for Doom.

• 2 weeks later...

Made by Derek Else way back. He hasn't been on here since September of 2011 though. I recently shot him a PM to see if he'd up the schematics for it but again, September of 2011. Sucks bc the device is awesome. I currently have 3 but looking to make/acquire more for that 16 console BSG network (lol)