IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

Regarding pulling RF modulators.. Doesn't that break artifacting? flashjazzcat in one of his more recent videos mentioned this, saying removing the modulator did that.

Even with the RF modulator removed. you can still get artifacting from the Composite signal, which the UAV still produces. Separating the chroma and luma signals for S-video gives you an image that is basically too sharp for artifacting. It's your choice which signal(s) you want to connect to your display.

Having said that, I believe (not 100% certain) that some PAL models have video circuits contained within their RF modulators that produce the Composite signals in stock configuration. If you remove the RF modulator on such machines, you MUST use a video mod to produce video signals.

Even with the RF modulator removed. you can still get artifacting from the Composite signal, which the UAV still produces. Separating the chroma and luma signals for S-video gives you an image that is basically too sharp for artifacting. It's your choice which signal(s) you want to connect to your display.

Having said that, I believe (not 100% certain) that some PAL models have video circuits contained within their RF modulators that produce the Composite signals in stock configuration. If you remove the RF modulator on such machines, you MUST use a video mod to produce video signals.

I don't know whether it's NTSC or PAL models, or both, but the modulator in the 130XE has circuitry which combines Y/C signals to produce the CVBS signal.

• Like 2

The UAV is completely stand-alone and not dependent upon or affected by any of the original video circuitry contained either in the RF modulator or on the motherboard. And as such, you can have both the original and UAV video outputs working in harmony, although I'm not sure why you would want to do that other than possibly retaining RF output. So when coming out of the UAV's composite connection, artifacting is still present irrelevant to whether the RF modulator was removed or not.

If the RF modulator output is not needed, I say pull it out :)

Keeping it in when not needed takes up valuable space which I would normally use for installing a 'real' S-Video connector. However if you don't have a good high temperature soldering iron and know what you are doing, there is a potential to damage your A8 motherboard. So proceed with caution.

Pro tip (no pun intended) for removing the RF mod: since the box will sink a lot of heat (as Michael infers), a larger iron tip can be very useful here. My iron isn't especially powerful and doesn't automatically boost when soldering large items, but I found a big, knife-shaped tip and it made easy work of the RF modulator lugs.

• Like 1

that's big tip stores up a lot of heat, then it unloads that heat, nice and effective. I've seen enough tore up attempts by people on rf modulator removals that I normally tell them leave it in snip the leads if you wish. bring it to me and I'll yank it out if you want...

Well my 130 had heavy vertical lines on the left side. After I installed the UAV, the lines are 80-90% lighter but are now more uniform and on the whole screen. You really can only see them now on certain games that have grey background, and though they are on the whole screen now, it's defiantly an improvement overall due to its being lightened.

My Hope is that removing the RF box will eliminate what's left of those damn lines.

• Like 2

sometimes it does, but that's normally noise from the ram chips.. I've sometimes shielded the ram chips with a grounded heat spreader (heat sink) and cleared it up, or done the usual mods to alleviate starved circuits...

then again, I've just switched monitors and that fixed it as well, and then there was that one monitor cord... ah so much fun

• Like 1

Exactly. You don't have to buy high end equipment to do the work, but using the right tool makes a difference. Aure you can heat the hell out of the pins and try to pull them, it will probably work, but may cause damage. Or you can just use one of the tools available. In my case and remowilliams case we have FR300 to use, but I could do the same thing with some solder wick or a mechanical pump and it wouldn't be that hard or expensive.

• Like 1

Removing them with the trick I learned from Jon’s video is a piece of cake: heat up the lug(s) nearest the edge of the board with large chisel tip on the iron and wedge a small flat blade jeweler’s screwdriver between the RF can and the board. As you heat the lugs, slowly and gently wedge the can up off the board. Heat your way through all the lugs slowly lifting the can up as you go. You’ll be done in 5 minutes probably. You can clean out the holes afterwards easily.

That pile of donor boards I see in videos concerns me... I've never seen that in all my years, that many ruined beyond simple repair? Atari is cake to fix, and trace repair is not all that difficult either....

I've only found like 3 boards in 30 years that needed to become donor status...

and they looked like this...

post-21949-0-62062900-1512501523_thumb.jpg

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3