IGNORED

Missile Control Easter Egg found

Thomas Jentzsch

While creating my Trak-Ball hack for VideoGems' Missile Control, I came across some characters, which seemed unused in the game. After further investigation, these turned out to be part of an Easter Egg!

icon_idea.gif To trigger the Easter Egg, the following conditions have to be met:

1. Game variation #6
  2. Game over
  3. All six cities destroyed (no explosions!)
  4. Game is paused (Color switch = B/W)
  5. Right difficulty = B
  6. Right joystick FIRE and UP

Then the game shows "LAV" instead of the left three cities (see screenshot). Any idea what that stands for?

post-45-0-68567000-1483783571_thumb.png

• Like 8

I've heard (on rare occasion) the use of the term "lav", which is short for lavatory AKA bathroom. Maybe the programmer was being held captive under inhumane conditions and forced to write code. This was his way of sending a message to the outside world that that he desperately needed to use a restroom.

If so, it was a poor choice.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

In reading some of the threads about Video Gems it appears they were distributed by a company named Hanimex. The gentleman that was managing director around this time was Des Franklin, and as of 2015 appeared to be still living. If anyone knows how to locate someone in Australia, it appears he is around Sydney. Even if he wasn't directly involved, he may know who to contact.