IGNORED

In depth look at MEXICAN INTELLIVISION VARIATIONS

Rev

1 hour ago, edintv said:

Long time without login, Hi to all.

I compare with my Spanish manual and they are very different, Looks like Aurimat print their own manuals, not the same as the international spanish ones.

Thanks for the info! I don't have any manuals from Spain to compare.

BTW, just uploaded scans at my website https://nanochess.org/intellivision_mexican_games.html

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, edintv said:

Long time without login, Hi to all.

I compare with my Spanish manual and they are very different, Looks like Aurimat print their own manuals, not the same as the international spanish ones.

Hi Edintv, welcome back.

would you mind posting pics of some of your Spanish manuals, they are quite hard to find online. Also if you have any extras you want to sell please PM me. Thanks

5 hours ago, nanochess said:

Thanks for the info! I don't have any manuals from Spain to compare.

BTW, just uploaded scans at my website https://nanochess.org/intellivision_mexican_games.html

I check with my Copy of Armada Espacial and is the same Translation, only Difference is the Leyends on the back and front Covers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edintv said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68The Boxes are the International Standards, with the holes in the back for the Languaje - especific manual.

20220128_190022.jpg

Cool stuff!

It's strange that they didn't translate the titles for Star Strike, Lock 'N' Chase, and Astrosmash, but they actually did for Night Stalker and Space Armada.

-dZ.

2 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Cool stuff!

It's strange that they didn't translate the titles for Star Strike, Lock 'N' Chase, and Astrosmash, but they actually did for Night Stalker and Space Armada.

-dZ.

Could be that the translated name is not cool enough in Night stalker the translation is in () so is more an explanation instead of changed title.

3 minutes ago, edintv said:

Could be that the translated name is not cool enough in Night stalker the translation is in () so is more an explanation instead of changed title.

Yeah, but I would have imagine they could have done the same for those others, like "Star Strike (Asalto Estelar)" (or something like that).  After all "Cazador Nocturno" is a little bit lame. ?

I just found it curious that they didn't even try.  Hehehe.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

2 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Yeah, but I would have imagine they could have done the same for those others, like "Star Strike (Asalto Estelar)" (or something like that).  After all "Cazador Nocturno" is a little bit lame. ?

I just found it curious that they didn't even try.  Hehehe.

-dZ.

Mattel beign an experienced International toy seller, they must had a Foreign marketing office that could choose how to name toys in other languajes. Night Stalker is hard to pronounce for people unfamiliar with english. 

2 hours ago, edintv said:

Mattel beign an experienced International toy seller, they must had a Foreign marketing office that could choose how to name toys in other languajes. Night Stalker is hard to pronounce for people unfamiliar with english. 

Hmm ... I don't buy that.  I don't find it any easier to say "Estar Estraik," but whatever.  Perhaps they just didn't bother translating some titles.  "Experienced international toy sellers" can be cheapskates sometimes.

I guess we'll never know.  *shrug*

I just found it curious, that's all.

-dZ.

9 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

Hmm ... I don't buy that.  I don't find it any easier to say "Estar Estraik," but whatever.  Perhaps they just didn't bother translating some titles.  "Experienced international toy sellers" can be cheapskates sometimes.

I guess we'll never know.  *shrug*

I just found it curious, that's all.

-dZ.

I do remember having many toys names translated ramdomly, Strawberry Shortcake was "Rosita fresita" but He Man was He man, and had Monopoly (Monopolio) with my country's names. Star Wars was Hilarious, the only name change was r2d2 to "Arturito" did you get that in puerto rico?

Anyway Astrosmash is harder to pronounce than Star trike, the should have some reasons (even lazyness) to do so.

I do remember having many toys names translated ramdomly, Strawberry Shortcake was "Rosita fresita" but He Man was He man, and had Monopoly (Monopolio) with my country's names. Star Wars was Hilarious, the only name change was r2d2 to "Arturito" did you get that in puerto rico?

Hehe, we had the same in PR. LOL!  I do remember "Rosita fresita" and "Arturito," which were hilarious; and we called Star Wars "La guerra de las galaxias," which is a mouthful, and elevates the war to a galactic level.  Hehehe.

Anyway Astrosmash is harder to pronounce than Star trike, the should have some reasons (even lazyness) to do so.

Nah, I think things like "He Man" and "Astrosmash" are more like high-concept terms which are otherwise meaningless and devoid of context (as opposed to, say, a "star war," which is a literal title).

"Rosita fresita" sounds like a nice and cute way to address the translation.  "Strawberry Shortcake" is not only of alien pronunciation to Spanish speakers, but mostly unknown to the culture itself -- most (all?) characters having names based on American-centric desserts or treats.

"Arturito" is a nice anomaly, since it is as meaningless in itself, but I guess it goes in the spirit of Luke Skywalker calling him "Artoo" instead of a more technical "R2-D2."  This is especially curious when compared to C3PO, which in Spanish was left merely as "Ce-tres-pe-o". Heheh.

Anyway, I got a kick out of your collection there.  Puerto Rico being so "americanized," we mostly didn't get translated merchandise.  We always got the English stuff directly, but broken English and Spanglish is part of our culture anyway. ;)

-dZ.

32 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Hehe, we had the same in PR. LOL!  I do remember "Rosita fresita" and "Arturito," which were hilarious; and we called Star Wars "La guerra de las galaxias," which is a mouthful, and elevates the war to a galactic level.  Hehehe.

Nah, I think things like "He Man" and "Astrosmash" are more like high-concept terms which are otherwise meaningless and devoid of context (as opposed to, say, a "star war," which is a literal title).

"Rosita fresita" sounds like a nice and cute way to address the translation.  "Strawberry Shortcake" is not only of alien pronunciation to Spanish speakers, but mostly unknown to the culture itself -- most (all?) characters having names based on American-centric desserts or treats.

"Arturito" is a nice anomaly, since it is as meaningless in itself, but I guess it goes in the spirit of Luke Skywalker calling him "Artoo" instead of a more technical "R2-D2."  This is especially curious when compared to C3PO, which in Spanish was left merely as "Ce-tres-pe-o". Heheh.

Anyway, I got a kick out of your collection there.  Puerto Rico being so "americanized," we mostly didn't get translated merchandise.  We always got the English stuff directly, but broken English and Spanglish is part of our culture anyway. ;)

-dZ.

there's always has been pressure to wipe off spanish in PR, I may remember that spanish was forbidden at some point? 

29 minutes ago, edintv said:

there's always has been pressure to wipe off spanish in PR, I may remember that spanish was forbidden at some point? 

Hmm ... That was probably during the colonial days when the US took control of the Island.  In the 1970s and 1980s, as far as I remember, Spanish was understood to be the main and common language, with English being something we should co-adopt in order to become more cosmopolitan and increase opportunities.

In the end, for better or worse, it's pretty clear across the globe that once people get a taste for, say, McDonalds and Hollywood, there's no limiting factor to accepting other American cultural traits.  Personally, I don't mind too much -- I'm as apple-pie, pizza, and burguers-and-fries an American, as much as I am an arroz-y-habichualas, pasteles, alcapurrias y ron Puerto Rican.  :)

In any case, sorry to hijack the thread.  Let us go back on topic:  Are those Spanish manuals for distribution across Latin America, or were they purely for the Mexican market?

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Just now, DZ-Jay said:

Hmm ... That was probably during the colonial days when the US took control of the Island.  In the 1970s and 1980s, as far as I remember, Spanish was understood to be the main and common language, with English being something we should co-adopt in order to become more cosmopolitan and increase opportunities.

In the end, for better or worse, it's pretty clear across the globe that once people get a taste for, say, McDonalds and Hollywood, there's no limiting factor to accepting other American cultural traits.  Personally, I don't mind too much -- I'm as apple-pie, pizza, and burguers-and-fries an American, as much as I am an arroz-y-habichualas, pasteles, alcapurrias y ron Puerto Rican.  :)

In any case, sorry to hijack the thread.  Let us go back on topic:  Are those Spanish manuals distribution across Latin America, or were they purely for the Mexican market?

-dZ.

yes, sorry for the hijack, to close the theme, Venezuela has oil and we got a lot of US influence and many local brands have english names and some funny anglicisms.

As I understand the ones I have are made for spanish speaking market, for spain and latinamerica (the same holes in the back boxes are for several european markets) none of those came from the famous warehouse.

My theory is that the mexican company get some translations already done by mattlel (like Space armada) and make their own like in Astrosmash.

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, nanochess said:

Very hard to find. My previous find was in January, and now it is June, almost 6 months.

It feels like maybe you're just being lazy Oscar. ? Try harder please, we need more pics of new games! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1