IGNORED

Bringing the 1027 printer back from the dead

electronizer

Well.. For pure collector's motivations, I'm not gonna burst your bubble and tell you not to pursue it.

Just realize that even when a 1027 printer was brand new and in perfect working order:

a) it was slower than death,

b) the vertical alignment of each printed character was so eradic due to poor design tolerances that it looked like you typed the document on an old mechanical typewriter with an extremely worn-out mechanism.

• Like 1

Sometimes it's good to bring the dead back to life to live that slow past once again and appreciate what we have today, besides i liked mine despite its shortcomings, cute little, slow and noisy printer with misaligned characters, what's not to love :)

Edited by gargoyle
  • Like 6

Sure, and then someone will come up with a fix for the misaligned characters, and someone else will make the buffer bigger, and someone else will make it faster.... it's the way of the classics.

• Like 2

I used to own a business and whenever I needed a formal letter, I used my1027, I never had any misalignment

problems, but God you were right about slow and noisy! It used to drive me crazy when it would pause for several

minutes and then start back up. My wife wanted me to build a cabinet for it. For bills and other stuff I used my

Epson RX80.

DavidMil

• Like 1

Hello guys

Wasn't the Atari 1027 a Seikosha in disguise? (As in: We're probably not the only ones seeking a solution of this problem. And maybe we can learn from what the Seikosha users already tried.)

Sincerely

Mathy

Can you post a picture of it? My memory... well it sucks. I can only remember seeing a couple that looked like Epsons.

David

Well. so far I've sent six requests to companies that make custom rubber stamps including movable date stamps.

Three have said they are not interested and three never bothered to return my emails. I still have three more to

go then I'm going to contact some of the rubber injection mold companies. And gargoyle, http://tgimpactprint...nnesmann-tally/

never did respond to either email. I may call them Monday.

David Milsop

• Like 2

Well. so far I've sent six requests to companies that make custom rubber stamps including movable date stamps.

Three have said they are not interested and three never bothered to return my emails. I still have three more to

go then I'm going to contact some of the rubber injection mold

David Milsop

That is understandable.

All the companies have to earn money.

An injection mold is very expensiv.

It would become profitable if you'd sell

hundreds of wheels for a reasonable price.

Regarding the laser-rubber-stamp based method, it is almost the same.

Unless you figured out, how many pulses per inch by how much power, you produce rubbish

instead of rubber ;) . You'll need at least a whole day with the laser and the operator.

Even if the result looks good, it doesn't

mean it will work on the first try.

But- if YOU ARE the operator of the laser,

then things look different.

However, since I changed my profession,

I have no access to a CO2Laser anymore.

Maybe the situation will change, because

the company considered to buy a laser

for a special production process.

But still difficult, to snap time

while the laser is not in use by the company.

Stefan

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I've made a good casting of the print wheel itself, but when I used belt dressing on the rubber part of the print head (the part with all the characters)

the rubber quickly dissolved and turned to a thick black goo. So much for that good idea. I haven't talked to Stefan in a while so I'm not sure how

he's coming along with the CO2 laser, but we both agree on a first guess hardness for the rubber. Stefan also sent me some very detail drawings

of the surface of the rubber printhead. I've been talking to a company called: Alumilite (www.alumilite.com) about making a two part aluminum

resin mold. They also have silicon resin mixtures that can be made in varying harnesses from shore 30 (about the feel and flexibility of human skin) to

shore 80 (almost a hard a car tire).

David

• Like 5

please tell us the belt dressing you used so no one uses that brand and ruins their printer... something isn't right if the dressing melted the band... in fact I will ask that all reference to it be removed from the forums if newer dressings destroy rather than preserve the bands! That's insane..... I will try some armor all vinyl restorer and protectant and see if that harms it..... I have used vcr-belt dressings and some ancient auto belt dressings for years on these.... Please inform what you used that melted your bands maybe all new auto products are harmful....

Edited by _The Doctor__

looks like times change now I must find all those posts and ask to delete or edit them.... I don't want any bad things happening....

indeed the belts of today are made of edpm and the dressing/conditioners have changed as well.... it will over soften older compounds and destroy them.... I have never soaked anything even with the older dressings just got things damp and wiped them off and then went about printing.... but the new stuff is designed for totally different materials today...... so my 50 year old can of dressing is done.... and no one carries any of the old dressings.... in fact a few of them are considered hazardous and were pulled from shelves 16 years or so ago..... this leaves me with one last hope.... mineral oil..... thats right good ole mineral oil... not spirits..... I will give it a shot..... looks like I will be joining the ranks of the 1027 less if I can't find a substitute or we can get replacement bands..

sad day indeed....

keeping everything well lubricated is key so he has good advise.... I read the part about boiling the stamp.... I am going to experiment with mineral oil..... perhaps a hot mineral oil bath..... it seems reasonable....

Edited by _The Doctor__

please tell us the belt dressing you used so no one uses that brand and ruins their printer... something isn't right if the dressing melted the band... in fact I will ask that all reference to it be removed from the forums if newer dressings destroy rather than preserve the bands! That's insane..... I will try some armor all vinyl restorer and protectant and see if that harms it..... I have used vcr-belt dressings and some ancient auto belt dressings for years on these.... Please inform what you used that melted your bands maybe all new auto products are harmful....

Well, I have no one to blame but myself for my latest fiasco. Yes the belt dressing is at least 10 years old, and it says in VERY small print

on the bottom of the label, "this product contains petroleum distillates and should not be used on products containing silicon rubber".

By the way the belt dressing is from 3M.

Sigh... One of these days I'm going to start listening to my wife who is always saying, "Don't you want to read the directions first?"

But being a guy (and an old grumpy one at that)... well you know how it is.

David Milsop

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Brad at Best Electronics (he dug through many ruined printer heads till he came across a (mostly) good one. The characters are still well formed and

fairly solid. The alpha numeric characters that had fallen off have now been glued back on and I'm going to try and make a casting of it tomorrow.

The 1027 shall live again! (I hope)...

David Milsop

• Like 10