IGNORED

1088XEL Alternative Mother-Board Project

mytek

Sorry to interrupt this discussion, but I just wanted to point out that there has been a major design revision of the Mouse Port Select PCB. Instead of creating a new post to describe the changes, I went back into the original ones and updated them, with the first of which can be viewed HERE (new circuit schematic, board layout, and dimensional data). And the updated connection diagram can be viewed HERE (shows connection of Mouse Port Select PCB to the 1088XEL).

I'm done, feel free to get back to the discussion on getting MultiJoy to work with MULE on the 1088XEL.

- Michael :)

• Like 1

Whats the current status of this project?

First of all Mytekcontrols has put a ton of work and planning and expense into bringing this project to life. Through the ashfall of the recent California fires with one eye peeled on the red glow on the horizon and the other on the proto-motherboards and accessory boards he worked tirelessly to finish. Right now he's finishing up on a redesign of his Joy2PC Atari Based PIC programmer and putting the finishing pieces of info on his website. Needless to say this thread would not exist without him.

It's been a pleasure being part of the development team for the 1088XEL and XEL-CF][ boards. I could not have asked for a better experience working with a team.

For those who want to assemble their own boards we hope to have help video and downloadable pdfs available soon. flashjazzcat who has been working on a special version of his U1MB firmware to support the 1088XEL, is planing a series of live streaming Youtube videos on assembly. I've volunteered on several illustrated pdfs and maybe a video or two on assembly of the board as well as accessories and additional actions needed for the DIYers. I'll be working on some of these this weekend and throughout the next few weeks. :)

• Like 6

First of all Mytekcontrols has put a ton of work and planning and expense into bringing this project to life. Through the ashfall of the recent California fires with one eye peeled on the red glow on the horizon and the other on the proto-motherboards and accessory boards he worked tirelessly to finish. Right now he's finishing up on a redesign of his Joy2PC Atari Based PIC programmer and putting the finishing pieces of info on his website. Needless to say this thread would not exist without him.

It's been a pleasure being part of the development team for the 1088XEL and XEL-CF][ boards. I could not have asked for a better experience working with a team.

For those who want to assemble their own boards we hope to have help video and downloadable pdfs available soon. flashjazzcat who has been working on a special version of his U1MB firmware to support the 1088XEL, is planing a series of live streaming Youtube videos on assembly. I've volunteered on several illustrated pdfs and maybe a video or two on assembly of the board as well as accessories and additional actions needed for the DIYers. I'll be working on some of these this weekend and throughout the next few weeks. :)

And I'll add that Dropcheck's enthusiasm towards this project has really been remarkable. Her and all the other people listed on the board's silk screen as seen below, played their part in getting this project ultimately released, and in large part made it possible to do so in record time. I would now like to publicly thank all of you for helping me make my dream a reality, and to have made this journey with me.

H0DrcBW.png

• Like 8

And I'll add that Dropcheck's enthusiasm towards this project has really been remarkable. Her and all the other people listed on the board's silk screen as seen below, played their part in getting this project ultimately released, and in large part made it possible to do so in record time. I would now like to publicly thank all of you for helping me make my dream a reality, and to have made this journey with me.

H0DrcBW.png

Quoting that image for the beauty of it (says Narcissus). Never thought I'd be silkscreened on anything, let alone two amazing Atari projects (the other being the beta Incognito card).

Enjoyed doing my VERY small part in assembling and testing. Looking forward to helping anyone else looking to assemble their own.

• Like 3

Right now he's finishing up on a redesign of his Joy2PC Atari Based PIC programmer and putting the finishing pieces of info on his website.

What Dropcheck is referring to can be viewed HERE. It's a project that got shelved over a year ago because I was in process of creating the initial schematics at what would ultimately become the 1088XEL. So what is that project? A simpler stand-alone method of flashing the PIC MCU's that would be used in the XEL, of which there are 3 just on the motherboard alone, and another more recently got implemented in one of the accessory boards. So with 4 chips to flash I was looking for an inexpensive, single board, no cable solution and that is what the project I linked to is all about.

- Michael

• Like 1

I just discovered this product:

http://www.plexilaser.de/shop/Acrylgehaeuse-fuer-ATARI-800XL-Teilesatz

It seems you can make your personalized cases.

Perhaps it could be a solution for 1088XEL.

Wow!

An all-in-one XEL would be awesome! And with an original XL keyboard and console buttons no less!

[edited to wipe up drool]

Edited by marty
  • Like 1

I just discovered this product:

attachicon.gif13406873_588182214683052_6655084717524572828_n.jpg

http://www.plexilaser.de/shop/Acrylgehaeuse-fuer-ATARI-800XL-Teilesatz

It seems you can make your personalized cases.

Perhaps it could be a solution for 1088XEL.

Something built out of clear plastic like that would be fantastic to show off the new motherboard :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting that :) .

- Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

found something on eBay - "Atari 130XE Mini-ITX fully assembled" - Seller: ataripcb_uk - Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253243793763

For the records, here are the first pictures of this offer:

post-15670-0-70404000-1509995856_thumb.jpg

post-15670-0-32554000-1509995869_thumb.jpg

Looks like a similar project to the 1088XEL. Did anybody know something about this?

Jurgen

• Like 2

Seen it :) . Made in Poland, project started this year as well. Based on 65/130XE with AKI PS2 keyboard chip and SIO2SD built-in. Everything else is pretty much stock.

Project Link: http://www.atari.org.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14760

Edit: This appears to be the creator's (x_angel) prototype that's being sold probably in order to offset R&D costs. If the translation can be trusted, x_angel will be gone for over 8 months and will not be working on this project during that time. The design files have not been released.

Michael

• Like 2

So, keyboards... saw the WASD keyboard template on the TK-II page. I guess that if one wanted to go that route, that it is up to date to work with the custom firmware used in the 1088XEL,with all of the short-cuts and custom mappings? :) International 10-keyless ISO or are there other mappings?

Saw that there is a new reimplementation of the Model F out there, as well, for those who prefer their keys with a little extra klink. ;)

• Like 1

So, keyboards... saw the WASD keyboard template on the TK-II page. I guess that if one wanted to go that route, that it is up to date to work with the custom firmware used in the 1088XEL,with all of the short-cuts and custom mappings? :) International 10-keyless ISO or are there other mappings?

Saw that there is a new reimplementation of the Model F out there, as well, for those who prefer their keys with a little extra klink. ;)

If you want to go with a more Atari-like experience then the ISO key map is the way to go. This is one of 4 key maps built into the TK-II, but it does require a custom ISO based keyboard of either the WASD variety or perhaps done with stickers. The example WASD mapping was done a while back, so some of the more recently added functions are not shown. It really is meant to be customized which is the reason I included the SVG download for others to grab and do their own thing with. But at least I covered a lot of the basics, so not much more would be required unless you wanted to add the graphics symbols on the individual keys (that would be a considerable amount of work).

- Michael

• Like 2

Nice case indeed....love the fact the we all can leave off the optional fan :D

About the keyboard......this is probably the biggest "issue" for me.

I am personally not a fan of using PC (type) keyboards on an A8 for several reasons. Positions, keycap labels.....I like original.

Maybe stupid question or maybe I overlooked it but could a XEGS keyboard be hooked up ?

Edited by Level42

Nice case indeed....love the fact the we all can leave off the optional fan :D

I am personally not a fan of using PC (type) keyboards on an A8 for several reasons. Positions, keycap labels.....I like original.

Maybe stupid question or maybe I overlooked it but could a XEGS keyboard be hooked up ?

No - the 1088XEL does not contain any circuitry for reading the stock Atari keyboards.

I know the key positions for some are different, but the TK-II handles that for you. Meaning, what you see on the PC keyboard, is what the Atari responds with.

I'll try to find a link to a customized WASD keyboard somebody made for use with their EclaireXL.

Nice case indeed....love the fact the we all can leave at the optional fan :D

To add to what Stephen said... the answer is: Not easily, but it is possible if you want to wire in a mating socket for such (although that wouldn't look pretty). And not to offend anyone, why would you want to? Other than it having the traditional layout, it really is probably the worse keyboard Atari ever included with their systems. I guess that can be improved with a 3rd party kit, but that will only take it from horrible to somewhat better. But yes I can also understand the desire to stick with original equipment, although that does kind of rule out the 1088XEL which is getting pretty far out of original territory ;) .

Speaking for myself only, I find having a similar keyboard on both my A8 as well as my PC soooo much easier. Reason being is that it gets rid of the confusion when going from one to the other. And lets face it, nearly everyone posting to this forum is using some kind of PC like keyboard (no offense MAC people, but yes your keyboard's are not that much different). And of course people are also using their phone's touchscreen, but that's an entirely different story (although that does take us back to the days of membrane keyboards on the 400). Anyway the point is on a daily driver basis life becomes easier when the input devices used on various systems that we interact with are also similar. Well assuming your old brain doesn't sabotage you, or you spend over 75% of your time on your A8.

Anyway I expect to see new, different, and better versions of what I have created to appear in the somewhat distant future, especially now that people are converting the 1088XEL designs into other formats. So I'm sure when that happens, there will be ample opportunity to create a more Atari like version, and perhaps one that will drop into the original enclosure if so desired. If nothing else this project has really shown what can be done in a more integrated way with the upgrades that are available, and through flashjazzcat's major effort with the customized 1088XEL U1MB BIOS, given us a truly seamless experience.

- Michael

• Like 2