IGNORED

No "Death Race' for 2600?

Everett1954

Wasn't there a car game that used the driving controller where you ran over people in Stella's Stocking?

Grandma's Revenge - and it uses the regular joystick too.

If the Odyssey 2 can do it... a single button CX40 VCS port can handle this game just fine. Think Sprint Master + Down for reverse. But if you're still bent on using two buttons and besides a Genesis controller version, we could also put that bastard of an accessory - the Booster Grip - to work. Most of us have one or two of those laying around, right? :lol:

• Like 5

Death Race requires two fire buttons: forward and reverse.

It will never happen on the 2600

/thread

With the driving controller plugged into the Quickjoy pedal controller, only one controller port is needed to play a 2600 Death Race game. So it could be a 1 or 2 person game.

Does this inspire you Debro !!

• 7 years later...
5 hours ago, Europatari said:

The article you linked to in turn links to a Patreon page where the ROM should be...  But isn't.

If you happen to have a copy, it might be best to attach it to a post in this thread ;)

• Like 1

It looks as though the various methods of contact reached their intended target!

With the permission of Mike Salzman, author of Death Race 2600, I'm attaching the ROM image of the game to this post :D Skee-Ball is also being included, which was another of his games which had previously been released in a different thread.

Mike wasn't 100% certain as to how close to release this version of Death Race 2600 was, but I've given it a shot and it's very playable.  He'll take a look in the future to see what other versions may be extant, but there's no timeline on this.

Huge thanks to Mike for giving permission to make Death Race 2600 available.  It's very much appreciated, and it's great to see another homebrew getting some fresh air after a few years of falling off the map.

Skee-Ball-02.08.18a.bin Death Race Joystick.bin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Death Race Patreon Home version of the arcade game by @salzmafia.com Link ROM

BeeWare Home version of Odyssey 2 Killer Bees (very similar to Death Race) by @MemberAtarian Link ROM

Screenshots

Spoiler

Death Race Patreon screenshots

IMG1_300x225.jpg.63ca8da45674452f028962e5683a734f.jpg IMG3_300x224.jpg.ad1a19c5c9d18f08f729c52ad725d4de.jpg IMG2_300x224.jpg.077270de14aae480f2d8686addacdf71.jpg

BeeWare screenshots

IMG1_300x224.jpg.f42f42dad31545462bfb62eeedd0a69a.jpg IMG2_300x225.jpg.f2f7b3330b6278a3ecffb807dfdd8b52.jpg IMG3_300x224.jpg.4132e61cdabcb193bafcc3dd07805ddd.jpg

Edited by Living Room Arcade

7 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Death Race Patreon Home version of the arcade game by @salzmafia.com Link ROM

You may want to check this - the link is for Death Match, which is a completely different game by a completely different author.  The ROM link is also the same as the one referred to earlier in the thread which no longer contains the Death Race ROM.

• Thanks 1

Boy, I screwed that one up!  Thanks @x=usr(1536) for letting me know. 

Spoiler

I meant to write this

Death Race Patreon Home version of the arcade game by @salzmafia.com link ROM

But I also see what you mean, that ROM link was already posted and maybe the ROM isn't there.

On 5/3/2024 at 9:19 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

The article you linked to in turn links to a Patreon page where the ROM should be...  But isn't.

If you happen to have a copy, it might be best to attach it to a post in this thread ;)

Well, I do happen to have the Death Match Patreon ROM.  I PM'd @salzmafia.com just now to ask for his permission to share it here.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@salzmafia.com  Mr. Salzman replied to my PM.  He said it's okay for me to post his ROM here, so here it is!  Enjoy!

Death Race Patreon (Michael Salzman).bin 4 kB · 2 downloads

cc: @Arenafoot

And this is definitely different to the one he sent me:

1536@lolbox Desktop % shasum -a 256 ./Death\ Race\ Patreon\ \(Michael\ Salzman\).bin ./Death\ Race\ Joystick.bin 
032aa6965f59bbb74e9e7d322018b12ee1ff8936f53cec5f637c8dc5745bd628  ./Death Race Patreon (Michael Salzman).bin
81caf1f0c10d816689cadb46a6985a596c84ebf8495eac3b02cfad7273ade2a7  ./Death Race Joystick.bin
1536@lolbox Desktop % 

Very cool!  Great to have the Patreon version added to the mix.  Thank you, @Living Room Arcade!

As a general aside, this version is much more playable with a joystick, and seems to be closer to (if not actually) a final version.  The one that was posted earlier feels more like a WIP, but it's interesting to see the progression.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

And this is definitely different to the one he sent me:

1536@lolbox Desktop % shasum -a 256 ./Death\ Race\ Patreon\ \(Michael\ Salzman\).bin ./Death\ Race\ Joystick.bin 
032aa6965f59bbb74e9e7d322018b12ee1ff8936f53cec5f637c8dc5745bd628  ./Death Race Patreon (Michael Salzman).bin
81caf1f0c10d816689cadb46a6985a596c84ebf8495eac3b02cfad7273ade2a7  ./Death Race Joystick.bin
1536@lolbox Desktop % 

Very cool!  Great to have the Patreon version added to the mix.  Thank you, @Living Room Arcade!

As a general aside, this version is much more playable with a joystick, and seems to be closer to (if not actually) a final version.  The one that was posted earlier feels more like a WIP, but it's interesting to see the progression.

I agree with what you said about it being more playable and seeming to be finished or closer to being finished.  The Patreon ROM version has a title screen and four play modes: one player, two players, one player vs. CPU and demo (watch CPU vs. CPU).  For fans of the 1976 Exidy arcade game, it's a real gem, eh?  

• Like 1