IGNORED

Colecovision Power Supply Mod Question

virtvic

I'm getting a Colecovision soon, without a power supply. These things are a nightmare, as you know - they have an obsolete plug and also supply the unit with +5, +12 and -5v dc.

My question is this -

Can the Colecovision be modded to a common 2.1mm barrel plug to take a 12vdc supply - powering a 7905 -5v reg and a 7805 +5v reg?

Thus, giving the machine it's 12v, 5v and -5v supplies?

I would also use some big custom heat sinks or Traco switching voltage regulators to keep the heat down inside the machine.

Hello? Is there anyone out there? :-D Even if I am answering my own questions, hopefully it may help someone with the same problem in the future...

I have recently found out that you need a -12vdc supply to make a -5v supply with a 7905 voltage regulator, so that's that idea thrown out the window.

However, if I do the ram conversion to 4164 or 4516 rams, it removes the need for -5, then I could go down the Traco switching voltage regulator route.

The other route is a bit clumsy - just use an arcade switching power supply. These have +5, +12 and -5v as standard. I could always make a neat box to safely conceal the mains power etc.

Edited by virtvic

I modded my CV for an Internal power supply, the Cincon CFM40D, just like the picture in this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217347-power-supply-mod/?p=2841343

I'm currently only using the +5v tap. I'll have to hook up the +12v when the SGM Pro comes out but other than that, I don't see any real need for 12v. Though I have a +5 RAM mod kit, I've never used it since I installed an F18a VGA board, which bypasses the old RAM altogether and thus no real need to remove or modify/replace RAM. The internal mod is the way to go and it's real easy to do.. just be safe about it. The only downside is it costs about $40 or so but I'm sure you could just use a 5v wall wart.. just depends how serious you want to get and what your modding skills are like. Sounds like you're on the right track though. Good luck!

post-37932-0-66032000-1485111317_thumb.jpg

The link for the cincom on that post comes up with a 404 - have you got a live link for it?

Surely the 12v is used on the old 4116 ram (as is the -5v) ?

I'm going to see if I can squeeze an arcade switcher inside the case - looks like there's plenty of room in there.

I am also planning on just doing an AV mod on it, but that VGA board looks the busisness, shame it's nearly twice the price I paid for my Coleco!

Edited by virtvic

The link for the cincom on that post comes up with a 404 - have you got a live link for it?

Surely the 12v is used on the old 4116 ram (as is the -5v) ?

I'm going to see if I can squeeze an arcade switcher inside the case - looks like there's plenty of room in there.

I am also planning on just doing an AV mod on it, but that VGA board looks the busisness, shame it's nearly twice the price I paid for my Coleco!

The link from Mouser Electronics

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cincon/CFM40D-01/?qs=a9HUcNGsM2AZq4uonJauGA%3d%3d

Digikey and other sites probably sell it too, just do a google search for it if you want to compare prices. I see it dropped about $10

since buying mine a couple years ago. Since that's the case, I'll probably order another one and sell my last OEM Coleco power supply.

As far as the old 4116 RAM, yes you're correct, it used -5v and +12v. The +5v RAM mod only uses 5volts, which will eliminate the other 2 voltages and make your console run cooler.

The F18a is pricey but worth it if you want to eliminate the old RAM and give yourself VGA/HDMI capabilities.. just depends on how serious you want to get with it. ;)