IGNORED

Atari 800 plastic case repair

iainjh

hi, so I've bought an Atari 800, but some spanner has ruined the holes around the joystick ports: see pic

so plan is to fill in the gaps, square off the edges and sand down so its somewhere between

a) unoffensive to look at first glance, from a distance

b) maybe even the same colour

SO!

can anyone recommend

1. a plastic repair putty or material so I can build the holes back up again and sand back into shape i.e. not rock hard material, relatively soft is A-OK

2. anyone know the colour? in case i need to spray that front lower panel or the entire base to mask the damage. the rest of the 800 is light to mid yellow so a stock looking colour would be great to find, (aerosol paint).

I'm in UK.

cheers!

post-22133-0-95657000-1485356976_thumb.jpg

You might want to try a two part epoxy modeling putty, such as this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8237-PlasticWeld-Plastic/dp/B003S2E4UE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1485370975&sr=8-2&keywords=epoxy+putty&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=f9c6686a92458a634e2431d63c634be0

Since you're in the UK, a name brand that is probably over-priced but easy to locate would be the Games Workshop "green stuff" two part epoxy. You'll definitely need to paint it though--it mixes in to a bright green color.

• Like 1

You might want to try a two part epoxy modeling putty, such as this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8237-PlasticWeld-Plastic/dp/B003S2E4UE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1485370975&sr=8-2&keywords=epoxy+putty&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=f9c6686a92458a634e2431d63c634be0

Since you're in the UK, a name brand that is probably over-priced but easy to locate would be the Games Workshop "green stuff" two part epoxy. You'll definitely need to paint it though--it mixes in to a bright green color.

Came here to recommend similar. OP, you aren't going to match the colour man. Your best bet would be to take the case to a home improvement store or paint store near you that can colour match, have them scan the case and mix you up the smallest amount they will then carefully paint the dried epoxy.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the colour.

excellent info, thank you!

ive found that same putty stuff on amazon.co.uk and I'll use games workshop matt paint (colour tbc) to patch that little area in.

re case bottom for $30, where are you looking, ebay or best etc?

cheers v much! I'll post when i've got it right.

Edited by iainjh
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

If you do go to a Games Workshop store, browse their base paints as well. As Ryan pointed out, good luck matching, but depending on your case hue, check out "Rakarth Flesh" or "Zandri Dust". My 400 case is actually two hues, and I have paired up the two paints with it in this photo...

I overdid the retrobriting on the case flap (it sank to the bottom of the mixture) and want to spray paint. Interestingly it looks the same as your photo. What does your photo show exactly? Is that after painting just the flap?

Here's mine:49ee0e494884380f77a2197b7aed079d.jpg

Thanks!, Starglider aka ԹҽɾíƒɾɑϲԵíϲ's RҽԵɾ๏ RҽϲíԹҽs

[emoji973]️ http://youtube.com/perifractic

[emoji973]️ http://patreon.com/perifractic

• Like 1