IGNORED

Frogz 64 Atari Jaguar game

WAVE 1 GAMES

While I think it's good to have feedback and constructive criticism (regardless if said feedback or criticism is received resulting in changes) it will never warrant the amount of shitting on Jeff I'm seeing in this thread, whether you like him or not. It's still no wonder why developers leave the Jag scene left and right. If you have personal beef with the guy, you can always send a PM but many of you are failing to realize that:

1. It's unconventionally programmed by someone who is still learning.

2. It's a 1-man show with the ROM completely downloadable, leaving people to burn it to CD or cart themselves if they so desire.

3. It's actually released/done, however done or unfinished it may subjectively be. Some people never finish, some people never start. Pick one.

4. The green cart is kind of cool and actually looks good with the black label against it but that's just an opinion.

5. It's definitely not perfect but at the same time it's also a homebrew, most generally aren't.

6. He did mention that the emulator has issues, which is obviously how the video was posted.

Has anyone done a review of the final game running on a Jaguar instead of basing reviews off of some past videos?

This whole ordeal could definitely be used as a learning lesson to those who want to attempt programming on the Jaguar in the future. Don't constantly post WIP videos. Make sure you have someone that can test the thing fully and extensively that will push for changes. Come in the game with thick skin knowing you're going to get shit on because it's easier to hate something you make then it is to hate nothing at all.

I think if the game was priced slightly less of a retail game and more as a homebrew, maybe the anger behind bashing whatever concoction of a game this is may be slightly less, but probably not. People still buy Club Drive and SuperCross 3D, I can't see this being any worse even in it's worse form and those were so-called professional releases by corporations with some coin behind them and a team of people.

End of the day, if you think it's just shit, then you obviously don't have to buy it, play it or even support it.

I agree with this 100%. If you have a problem with the game, or even with Jeff, that's fine. I myself have issues with how he's seemingly rushing through production of these games for a quick buck. But shitting on him constantly here isn't going to change that, and it only will help in further discouraging others from trying to develop for the Jag. It's not like there's a huge influx of new developers clamoring to pump out titles. Any further insults or name-calling in this thread is going to get you booted from the thread.

• Like 3

@Sauron, again, I have a _serious_ problem with someone who takes an example game, slaps on some crappy graphics, and samples, and sells the game for a premium price, while also taking other games that other authors have worked hard on, and given for free to the community, turn around and sell them on eBay as well.

This needs to not be tolerated.

-Thom

@Sauron, again, I have a _serious_ problem with someone who takes an example game, slaps on some crappy graphics, and samples, and sells the game for a premium price, while also taking other games that other authors have worked hard on, and given for free to the community, turn around and sell them on eBay as well.

This needs to not be tolerated.

-Thom

Let's be real here, he's obviously put some kind of effort into this games, even if it's not as much as most of us would like to see. Whether you agree with that or not is your right, but my warning above still stands.

• Like 1

I agree. I won't support Jeff until he puts more of himself into these products.

However his current customers aren't piling on here with buyers remorse about Fast Food.

They're big people and made their decision. Every thing is out in public.

Chris. Either I'm not sure what you mean or you dont know what you're talking about. I HAVE put myself in this release. In fact I have neglected my family to spend ALL of my free time bringing these games to the Jaguar and that is why I am taking a break from making games for the system. I need to get back to whats important around me. Fast Food 64 was initially supposed to only take 2 weeks to make. I stated that clearly and spent an extra 2 weeks for a 4 week total dev time. How long have I spent on Frogz? 10 months ! Nearly a year! I fixed everything everyone on here was complaining about. Examples frog chaninging direction, poor sound fx quality, log collisions, strobing frog, black lines around sprites. Everything that was suggested was done up until to the point that it felt like I was making a game for the folks in this thread and not my own game. Im sick of hearing about Doger as well. You know this version of Frogz was re-written from the ground up using Fast Food 64 as a template which was created from scratch. The game is fun. All of the major bugs are fixed. Like you said the people who purchased FF64 enjoyed the game and NOBODY asked for a refund. I imagine when they pick up this game they will be overwhelmed by the better quality and time I put in. I dont think its a fair statement to say I need to put more of myself into my projects if you really dont know just how much of myself DID in fact go into it. As far as this quick cash grab stuff goes I assume I should just pay for the carts myself and give it out for free? Or better yet release nothing? I will record a video from my phone but I am so done with this. Who the hell is Ed Wood and who cares ? Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

I don't think 6-10 months working on said project on the side constitutes as a quick overnight money grab. Anyone can say they can do it better in half the time, that's to be proven. With that said, for everyone shitting on it, I would like to see the completed, well polished game you've made completely by yourself starting from little to no experience in 6-months.

As far as a single person that has zero experience with all of this taking an example game and turning it into Frogz64, it's safe to say it's definitely a completely different game from Doger, even if the baseline is the same. It was even mentioned in the documentation that someone may end up turning it into a finished Frogger-style cloned only this actually went above just your basic Frogger, slapped on graphics and music or not.

I don't care if you think this game is 100% dog shit, it didn't happen overnight. I know because this kind of spiraled from me trying to learn how to use Rb+ and all the trials and errors in learning it. The difference being I stopped after about 5 weeks and for whatever insane reason, Jeff kept going. I'm not sure wtf is expected when it blatantly says that in the documentation. Sounds like free game to me to do as you please with it and if not, it needs to be addressed very specifically otherwise. I probably would've tried to sell my version of a Frogger clone had I gotten that far but guess what? I didn't. I just didn't have that much time so the overnight shit can also be left at the window. We both spent hours back and forth trying to figure out why variables would cause the game to wonk out completely only to realize that it's either user error because it was a learning experience or something wonky the emulator didn't or doesn't like.

As far as other accusations of selling a demo CD or whatever the hell it was, that's outside of this thread and I thought had been put to rest. No one says anything about the half dozen other people pirating and selling demos on CD for $25 a pop and we're talking about an entire collection consistently and that's ok but Jeff does it once and he's the anti-Christ. Even so, there's a way to resolve that as well outside of the current topic of hatred at hand.

Edited by Clint Thompson

The bit you seem to have overlooked there is people on this thread, amongst others, are the people who would be paying for the game. You are making it for your potential customers and not for your own benefit when you are selling a product.

Nobody expects you to sell at a loss but when you are charging 80 dollars for a green cart, 70 for a clear - a premium price, you would be expected to deliver a premium product. You say on the wave1 site that "Finally you can play the arcade classic you know and love on the Atari Jaguar 64 bit multimedia system!". Can you honestly say it's the arcade classic you've created here?

The bit you seem to have overlooked there is people on this thread, amongst others, are the people who would be paying for the game. You are making it for your potential customers and not for your own benefit when you are selling a product.

Nobody expects you to sell at a loss but when you are charging 80 dollars for a green cart, 70 for a clear - a premium price, you would be expected to deliver a premium product. You say on the wave1 site that "Finally you can play the arcade classic you know and love on the Atari Jaguar 64 bit multimedia system!". Can you honestly say it's the arcade classic you've created here?

Um the only official price is the CD right now which is $49.99 and will likely drop to $39.99. I havent even taken a single cart order yet because the website is all screwed up

To be fair, I think it offers more to the customer than some other cart releases that have been sold in the past. Mad Bodies, anyone?

As for any issues with MY pricing the resellers are already jacking up the price way higher then I would ever sell it at.

The Frogz prices are not set in stone. I will update once I figure out whats wrong with my account settings a concrete price, but the game will cost more than FF64 that I can say for sure.

post-45896-0-68964400-1505771554_thumb.png

I agree with this 100%. If you have a problem with the game, or even with Jeff, that's fine. I myself have issues with how he's seemingly rushing through production of these games for a quick buck. But shitting on him constantly here isn't going to change that, and it only will help in further discouraging others from trying to develop for the Jag. It's not like there's a huge influx of new developers clamoring to pump out titles. Any further insults or name-calling in this thread is going to get you booted from the thread.

I don't see how this is "stop shitting on Jeff or else nobody will want to make Jag homebrew again." That can't be the only option here. He should see us pointing out bugs as a good thing. Not "nit picking." From memory, he is the only person who has been dogpiled in this manner and it is a direct result of many of his actions. Did we ever treat CJ like this? Orion? Matthias? Anyone else? He went from an "I learned some lessons on FF64" type of stance to here we are back again in the same place. It is obvious from the videos there are still bugs in this version. He says "well it's not meant to be Frogger, that's why it's like that" but then on the website talks about how it's the arcade classic. It can't be both.

And if the choice is stop pointing out bugs in products sold at a premium price that the developer won't fix, or just never have any new homebrew, I'll choose the latter. But yeah, I will concede that some of the feedback could be phrased in a more constructive manner (not that it will matter) as opposed to personal attacks.

• Like 5

You are joking, right? I've been dog piled by the worst of them (And still am, just thankfully, not here anymore)

I've seen you attacked by select people, closest thing I recall to a dogpile was the whole ST carts/copyright debate earlier in the year. Or last year. Or whenever that was. I don't recall the forum ever ganging up on you collectively and attacking your work. Again, aside from a select few who view your releases as "sub 8-bit" or whatever they say.

• Like 1

I've seen you attacked by select people, closest thing I recall to a dogpile was the whole ST carts/copyright debate earlier in the year. Or last year. Or whenever that was. I don't recall the forum ever ganging up on you collectively and attacking your work. Again, aside from a select few who view your releases as "sub 8-bit" or whatever they say.

Read back what you wrote there Madman and play that bad boy back over in your head a couple times. Just saying

For here, you'd need to go back about.... 7 years.... to before "the great Kizza and Co cleansing" - it still happens on facebook, external sites reviewing my releases, youtube comments etc.

I've had them message friends and family to harass them - you know, all the stuff they accuse me of is the crap they pull.

Always the same few people *sigh*