IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

You were inferring that since Gamester81 didn't tear down the machine on camera, the presentation is fake. Nobody does that. MK was clobbered because he'd already lied about his product 55 times. He was the exception.

I wasn't knocking Gamester81, I was referring to their presentation. They showed up at the convention with their prototype and all we've seen from that unveiling are games clearly running pre-installed on the system. They've never shown a cartridge or CD being read to the device.

Edited by xiaNaix

Seriously? These guys are industry professionals, not a website owner who sells magazines.

First I've heard. Is there a thread for this???

I assume this is a dig on Mike Kennedy, "publisher" of the "magazine" called RETRO and would-be game console entrepreneur extraordinaire.

Of course there's a thread for AtGames of the future. We'll probably hear more as the release dates draw closer.

all these device play on "retro". retron, retofreak, retroblox etc... what next?

Retrotavirus. There's a cool name that describes these things perfectly.

Retrovirus.

SUSTC-Shenzhen-Project-HIV.png

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

I don't think it was about you.

• Like 1

I assume this is a dig on Mike Kennedy, "publisher" of the "magazine" called RETRO and would-be game console entrepreneur extraordinaire.

Of course there's a thread for AtGames of the future. We'll probably hear more as the release dates draw closer.

Retrovirus.

SUSTC-Shenzhen-Project-HIV.png

no, rotavirus is a better fit for these products.

Rotavirus is a contagious virus that can cause gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach and intestines). Symptoms include severe watery diarrhea, often with vomiting, fever, and abdominal pain.

• Like 1

no, rotavirus is a better fit for these products.

Rotavirus is a contagious virus that can cause gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach and intestines). Symptoms include severe watery diarrhea, often with vomiting, fever, and abdominal pain.

I know where you got that. ;) Here's the full quote from CDC. Seems appropriate since many people still think that games are just for kids:

Rotavirus is a contagious virus that can cause gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach and intestines). Symptoms include severe watery diarrhea, often with vomiting, fever, and abdominal pain. Infants and young children are most likely to get rotavirus disease. They can become severely dehydrated and need to be hospitalized and can even die.

Remember when. Play again.

post-2410-0-93281500-1486843896_thumb.png

• Like 1

I think "Retrobox" was already in use. I agree that "Retroblox" isn't a great choice but I'm sure their options were limited. Whenever I see "Retroblox" I immediately think it's going to be some sort of 8-bit Lego toys. :D

Retrobox is a concept under development by the Libretro (RetroArch) team. They've got a better chance at a complete, accurate super-emulator box than anyone else ... though they could probably use some help with making it more user friendly.

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/after-retroarch-v1-1-retrobox/

Retrobox is a concept under development by the Libretro (RetroArch) team. They've got a better chance at a complete, accurate super-emulator box than anyone else ... though they could probably use some help with making it more user friendly.

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/after-retroarch-v1-1-retrobox/

I like the fact that they are not going to go the crowd funding source and take their time. That makes it more likely something legit that is also going to be of quality. That post is made in the fall of 2014. Wonder where they are with it.

I like the fact that they are not going to go the crowd funding source and take their time. That makes it more likely something legit that is also going to be of quality. That post is made in the fall of 2014. Wonder where they are with it.

So what is the RetroBox project going to amount to?

Figure out a way to turn ARM/x86 small form factor boxes (from Intel NUCs all the way into XBMC boxes) into plug-and-play game consoles powered by RetroArch.
Have a free open source distribution that is very lightweight.
Strive for the most optimal conditions possible  ie. DRM/KMS mode, no X11, minimal packages installed in this distro other than what libretro ports/RA actually needs.
Make this a Proof of Concept for what a game console centred around the libretro API can be.
Plug-and-play  can be operated with a gamepad entirely, keyboard and mouse are entirely optional.

They've already done it, it exists, and it runs on a number of different ARM or Intel boxes.

They're not trying to lock folks into a single piece of "approved" hardware ...

Lakka is the official Linux distribution of RetroArch and the libretro ecosystem.

Each game system is implemented as a libretro core, while the frontend RetroArch takes care of inputs and display. This clear separation ensures modularity and centralized configuration.

http://www.lakka.tv/

As soon as that $70 Asus Tinker Board is available for purchase in a few weeks (running the same basic hardware that's promised on the RetroBlox), I'm sure that Lakka will be ported to it very soon afterwards.

• Like 1

So what is the RetroBox project going to amount to?

Figure out a way to turn ARM/x86 small form factor boxes (from Intel NUCs all the way into XBMC boxes) into plug-and-play game consoles powered by RetroArch.
Have a free open source distribution that is very lightweight.
Strive for the most optimal conditions possible  ie. DRM/KMS mode, no X11, minimal packages installed in this distro other than what libretro ports/RA actually needs.
Make this a Proof of Concept for what a game console centred around the libretro API can be.
Plug-and-play  can be operated with a gamepad entirely, keyboard and mouse are entirely optional.
They've already done it, it exists, and it runs on a number of different ARM or Intel boxes.

They're not trying to lock folks into a single piece of "approved" hardware ...

Lakka is the official Linux distribution of RetroArch and the libretro ecosystem.

Each game system is implemented as a libretro core, while the frontend RetroArch takes care of inputs and display. This clear separation ensures modularity and centralized configuration.
http://www.lakka.tv/

As soon as that $70 Asus Tinker Board is available for purchase in a few weeks (running the same basic hardware that's promised on the RetroBlox), I'm sure that Lakka will be ported to it very soon afterwards.

That's not how I understand it. I thought that Retrobox was to be hardware (or a hardware spec, like Steam boxes)

Seems to me that Lakka is roughly equivalent to Retropie or Recalbox.

http://retroblox.com/forums/topic/so-software/#post-6271

We will not be shipping RetroBlox with any copyrighted BIOS files, nor will users need to provide their own. Everything will work directly out of the box, legally.

I think HLE BIOS option exist for Playstation emulation (EPSXE had one afaik) but I have serious doubts about their claim when it comes to Sega CD emulation. Due to unique nature of Sega CD hardware (dual CPU system with BIOS parts running on the two sides) and how Sega CD software heavily relies on BIOS functions for many things, HLE BIOS for Sega CD would be a very hard task, hence why it has never been made or even attempted before.

Is there a video wher they play Sega CD games btw?

Edited by philyso
  • Like 1

http://retroblox.com/forums/topic/so-software/#post-6271

I think HLE BIOS option exist for Playstation emulation (EPSXE had one afaik) but I have serious doubts about their claim when it comes to Sega CD emulation. Due to unique nature of Sega CD hardware (dual CPU system with BIOS parts running on the two sides) and how Sega CD software heavily relies on BIOS functions for many things, HLE BIOS for Sega CD would be a very hard task, hence why it has never been made or even attempted before.

Is there a video wher they play Sega CD games btw?

I've not seen a video of that, or of them playing a PC Engine CD game, either.

For the PCE, CD games have the System Card BIOS, which is 256KB, and includes lots of utility functions that games use, a sound-driver that games use, and both 12x12 and 16x16 fonts that nearly every game uses.

There's only one existing emulator that I know of that has even tried to avoid using a copy of the real BIOS, and that's Magic Engine ... and its own BIOS-replacement compatibility is known to be somewhat poor.

So, even if the RetroBlox guys have licensed Magic Engine's BIOS, they'd have a lot of work to do to fix things.

It sounds *so* much more plausible that they've just ripped a copy of the real BIOS ... and that they've done the same on the Sega CD.

IIRC, the Playstation BIOS booted the console, and then loaded a replacement for it from the CD into the System Software area of memory.

I don't remember if the original BIOS was ever used after that, but I'm sure that someone here can answer that.

• Like 1

Article from Kotaku

With a video that includes a PS1 disc loaded into the console and then playing it.

The only problem with that is you can clearly see that Tekken was already installed on the system before they inserted the disc when he scrolls down in the menus. They even acknowledge that the games listed there are ones they've already backed up. lol

No sorry, wasn't being personal. This project may or may not succeed, in KS or retail, but the thread has been pretty negative without any proof to be so. We really need to stop the conspiracy stuff. Oh I haven't seen a video! Oh Oh oh. Come on.

There are bigger questions on this thing. These guys are industry pro's, and such, to expect them to sell a pirate ship is probably asking too much. Would I prefer they did? Of course, duh! But they seem very much against that. I fear it will be their undoing. Why have a SEGA CD or Turbo CD emulation if you can't load downloads? Do they know what those games cost??? Now I can see refusing to infringe on Nintendo patents for say the N64, but stopping all rom loading without a cart is just not gonna get it done.

http://retroblox.com/2017/02/08/everything-you-need-to-know/

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

No sorry, wasn't being personal. This project may or may not succeed, in KS or retail, but the thread has been pretty negative without any proof to be so. We really need to stop the conspiracy stuff. Oh I haven't seen a video! Oh Oh oh. Come on.

There are bigger questions on this thing. These guys are industry pro's, and such, to expect them to sell a pirate ship is probably asking too much. Would I prefer they did? Of course, duh! But they seem very much against that. I fear it will be their undoing. Why have a SEGA CD or Turbo CD emulation if you can't load downloads? Do they know what those games cost??? Now I can see refusing to infringe on Nintendo patents for say the N64, but stopping all rom loading without a cart is just not gonna get it done.

http://retroblox.com/2017/02/08/everything-you-need-to-know/

Disagree. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Retroblox is promising some amazing things while offering little tomback that up. And, projects such as this have been outrights scams before. I don't think it's unreasonable to call something like this a scam until proven otherwise.

• Like 3

Believe the only issues we are really questioning is the ability to utilize carts like original hardware and if this system is using Privately own Bios and if they are do they have IP rights to them

...and if they can deliver once they've collected crowd funding. I think that's the biggest issue with this kind of project, honestly.

• Like 2

Issue isn't about disk emulation since nothing is changing from other Sega CD emulations as CD reading is very easy to do

Most people want a FX Chip Cart being played directly or Virtua Racing

That would be my definition of "hybrid emulation"

Pop in starfox, the console side SNESy bits are handled by software emulation whilst coordinating with the cart's SuperFX chip for superfxy bits.

Based on kevtris' statement, this is bollocks.

• Like 1