IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

This behavior may differ from the original hardware, which typically would read game code and data directly from the ROM itself, rather than from a computer file.

Because the behavior of many classic games is highly idiosyncratic and specific to the original gaming hardware, such emulators may therefore fail to fully capture the authentic experience of playing those games.

I am no hardware expert like Kevtris but I have enough knowledge about how software emulators are internally designed and what makes them less accurate (or not) than real hardware to tell you this section of the patent (which usually is used to introduce the invention and the added value it has compared to previously existing "work") makes zero sense.

Reading from a ROM file stored in volatile memory makes no difference in regard to emulation accuracy compared to direct read from the ROM chip through cartridge interface (unless of course the ROM is a bad dump but this is very unlikely with the system covered here).

This is later emphasized in the patent in the 'active cartridge reading' section which I believe is the main idea behind that 'hybrid emulation' concept

[0051] In some examples, modular video game system 200 emulating a target gaming console may employ active cartridge reading to better simulate the experience of running a game on the target gaming console. Active cartridge reading is a process that involves reading data directly and on demand, similar to how a target gaming console might read data from a physical game cartridge. Conventional emulators differ from their

target gaming consoles by reading cartridge data not from a cartridge, but instead from a memory that includes game data (e.g., a ROM file) corresponding to a game cartridge.

This practice may compromise the authenticity of the emulation, by relying on emulator software to accurately reproduce the behavior of the target gaming console- no matter how idiosyncratic -that may result from reading data from a game cartridge. Active cartridge reading can improve on conventional emulators by accessing data directly from the cartridge, rather than from a computer file corresponding to that cartridge. In some examples, data is accessed at the moment the emulator requires it, which is typically during a prefetch for the next emulated instruction to be executed. In some examples, data from the cartridge only stays resident in memory long enough to be processed, and is subsequently replaced when the next request for data has been fulfilled.

Again, they pretend that direct access to cartridge ROM makes emulation of the console hardware more accurate than with traditional software emulation (which is blatantly wrong) and give an example as to when the emulator would read the cartridge but they don't really address the fact the emulator will have to wait for the cartridge access to complete and thus each emulated CPU instructions processing will take the exact same time as if it was running on the original CPU, which means emulators must be interrupted and resynced (to advance other emulated components like APU, PPU,etc) after each single instruction.

Such synchronization granularity would require A LOT of processing power and would require to basically write new emulators from scratch designed for this as software emulators are designed to emulate CPU instructions as fast as possible (to save remaining processing time for the emulation of other hardware components) on a single processing core and only resync to real-time when needed. I don't think even BSNES goes so far in regard to real-time synchronization between emulated components and even if it was the case, modifying it to makes every single memory access to cartridge (which actually can be made not only by the main CPU but also other chips inside the SNES using DMA or HDMA) blocks emulation for 200 ns (which is at least 10x slower than a modern RAM access) would be insanely slow.

Edited by philyso
  • Like 3

Hi Elmer! Did you ever earn your ban card at PCEFX? Can't be in the cool kid's club until the nutter nixes you. :D

Nope, not banned yet. I just sent NW a message that I wasn't going to be a part of that community while he was abusing (IMHO) his admin powers, and then went and joined Paul's new PCE forum instead.

I've not read through all of this, but maybe some of the answers you seek are in the patent?

OK, a quick skim of the patent claims basically says that they've patented a retro game emulation system where the plugin modules perform the actual hardware interface to old system's cartridges and controller ports.

The emulation is running in software on the main board, on a system with a regular OS (i.e probably linux), on a standard CPU (i.e. an ARM SoC) which then communicates with an FPGA/CPLD on the plugin module to actually read data from the cartridge and controllers that are plugged into it.

But ... it either MAY, or MAY NOT do this in realtime depending upon the system that's being emulated, and the precise game that's being run.

So, it's all pretty nebulous stuff that still doesn't answer many technical questions ... except that it's clear that we're not talking about full FPGA console emulation in the way that kevtris would do it.

There's still no technical information on how/why their system would be any better at playing old games than retroarch, or any other software emulator.

My main takeaway from their E3 announcements is that they are concentrating on the longterm on the aspect of their plan, which I thought was their real interest all along.

They want to operate a digital storefront that lets people buy/rent old console games in a copy-protected manner, and are trying to build that business. The idea of cornering that particular market is probably the real reason why the angel investor put in the seed capital that they're using.

But what is in it for Sega/Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo? Why would they cooperate?

The only thing that the Playmanji folks have said is that they are in "discussions" with those companies ... which is the same thing that Mike Kennedy said during the RetroVGS saga, and which meant that he'd done no more than send an email to a low-level guy who was too polite to just laugh in his face.

• Like 3

This is a claim that interests me. Specifically, its origin. Are you referring to their demo at SoCalRetroGamingExpo last year? Because of what Pat Contri said?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261689-retroblox/?view=findpost&p=3697624

I recall asking Bryan about this claim back when it happened and him laughing it off because Pat either never even stopped at the booth, or passed by so quickly that he wasn't noticed. I was in Los Angeles June '17 and played the same unit that was on display at SCRGE (just with a newer OS revision). I'm told that while there was an empty shell on display separately, the working prototype was hooked up to the TV and being played by attendees. I wasn't at SCRGE so I can't say I know this to be true 1st hand, but it doesn't really seem like the kind of thing that would be worth lying about.

I'm all for critical thinking, but it has to apply to data on all sides of a subject. Pat was either mistaken or passed on some hearsay as fact, but his statement outweighed video evidence to the contrary and muddied the waters.

Relevant clip:

That's a very odd take on Pat for Bryan to have. Looking at this clip, it seems to me Pat really tried very hard to not comment on any aspect of the system, positive or negative. I would actually say he encouraged people to keep open minds, at least until the crowdfunding started. What "hearsay" you think he's passing on, I don't know, because I don't see anything in that video that isn't plainly obvious from what was public at the time.

• Like 1

Relevant clip:

That's a very odd take on Pat for Bryan to have. Looking at this clip, it seems to me Pat really tried very hard to not comment on any aspect of the system, positive or negative. I would actually say he encouraged people to keep open minds, at least until the crowdfunding started. What "hearsay" you think he's passing on, I don't know, because I don't see anything in that video that isn't plainly obvious from what was public at the time.

Specifically, his assertation that the Retroblox at SoCal was just a mold. This misinformation led to an ongoing perception here that there was no functional prototype at that time. All of the Chameleon comparisons about empty shells started with this, and it simply was not true. Even in the last page or two, this was repeated by dj_convoy:

"The first time they showed up somewhere, their prototype was a computer running their front end."

I don't believe there was any objection to Pat's coverage aside from that factual error, which was surprising seeing as how his presence at the booth was not observed. His commentary seems pretty solid and optimistic otherwise.

Sorry, I thought I'd been clear about that.

Edited by nullity

Specifically, his assertation that the Retroblox at SoCal was just a mold. This misinformation led to an ongoing perception here that there was no functional prototype at that time. All of the Chameleon comparisons about empty shells started with this, and it simply was not true. Even in the last page or two, this was repeated by dj_convoy:

"The first time they showed up somewhere, their prototype was a computer running their front end."

I don't believe there was any objection to Pat's coverage aside from that factual error, which was surprising seeing as how his presence at the booth was not observed. His commentary seems pretty solid and optimistic otherwise.

Sorry, I thought I'd been clear about that.

post-9942-0-84338900-1529013751_thumb.png

The console was in a glass case. If it wasn't a mold, I think Pat could definitely be forgiven for thinking it was. This is a perfect example of what I've been saying about this project all along: if there's bad information about the R-Blo out there, the fault lies with Playmaji themselves for not correcting it. By staying silent for a year and a half, they let the speculation fester.

And I'm sorry, but Pad did not begin the Chameleon comparisons. We started those on AA before SoCal even opened, and I doubt we were the only ones. Even before the reveal, the projects had notable similarities. Add that to the gibberish press releases, the insistence on delaying product announcements and details, the crowdfunding cancellation, and the oddly-timed name change. Unless I knew better, I'd swear the Polymega was a performance art re-enactment of the Coleco Chameleon.

• Like 1

I feel like we are having different conversations on some level, godslabrat. :) I'm not super thrilled with some of the marketing choices, and the name change and delay sucked but stuff happens. I can't argue with you about that.

My only point was...

True statement:

There was an empty shell on display at SoCal.

True statement:

There was a functional prototype inside of an identical shell being played at SoCal.

False Statement:

The first time they showed up somewhere, their prototype was a computer running their front end.

I was just stating where I thought the false statement got it's legs.

• Like 1

They definitely need someone on their team who is keen to marketing and can turn everything around. And definitely someone who reads these and other gaming forums and outlets.

Marketing is everything in this world of social media where information is on demand at everyones fingertips. If theres no information put out by a company, people will use speculation to fill the void always. And any 2nd or 3rd hand information quickly becomes misconstrued.

Hopefully they can get it together.

• Like 1

My only point was...

True statement:

There was a functional prototype inside of an identical shell being played at SoCal.

False Statement:

The first time they showed up somewhere, their prototype was a computer running their front end.

The thing is ... those statements aren't even slightly contradictory, they can both be true.

You seem to be taking "computer" as meaning an IBM PC clone.

That's not what us technical folks mean.

At their 1st public demo, they clearly showed that they were running on an off-the-self ARM SoC development board. I even quoted the part number, either here, or on PCEFX.

IIRC, that was a quad-core ARM running linux ... which was running their proprietary front end, and some software emulator(s) of unknown provenance.

There was also a prototype circuit board for the TurboGrafx/PCE module ... but AFAIK, I don't think that there was any evidence that that was actual working hardware.

Especially when it comes to the whole hybrid-emulation shtick.

So both of the statements that you're mentioning are true. They just don't say much at all about the actual hard technical details that your friends have been reluctant to talk about.

We already have perfect software-only emulation of the TurboGrafx/PCE ... it's in mednafen. It is a fairly simple system to emulate, and there is absolutely no need at all for "hybrid-emulation" in order to get games working properly.

The really tough system to emulate is the SNES, and particularly some games that use specific expansion chips on the cartridge itself.

All that your friends need to do is to show one of these "unemulatable-on-a-slow-ARM-chip" actually running correctly on their system because of their wonderful "hybrid-emulation", and people would stop being so skeptical.

But they haven't ... which suggests that they're somewhat over-selling their capabilities, and the amount of work that they've really done.

Read this for more background ...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Edited by elmer
  • Like 3

If it was just the front end, would it be playing games? And by the same logic, wouldn't the E3 demo and the upcoming end product just be a computer running their front end, too?

One can interpret words and rationalize their meaning to any end, but, if we're being intellectually honest, I think it is pretty clear that the Retroblox was more than those word choices would imply. The "computer running a front end" or the "empty shell" was in fact exactly what it was presented as: a prototype that had been under development for quite some time. Well over a year at that point if I'm not mistaken, and by a team that is much larger, more diverse, and experienced than has been disclosed... Though I don't fault anyone for some skepticism since Bryan and Eric are the only two names floating around. Not to say that Bryan and Eric suck (lol), but no way could two guys do it all alone.

I will say that I've not yet seen SNES carts running, but I'm confident it will happen soon since they plan to launch by year's end. I look forward to seeing if video proof of that is the key to acceptance (assuming, of course, they can pull it off).

C'mon nullity, I know that you can come up with better arguments than this! ;)

If it was just the front end, would it be playing games? And by the same logic, wouldn't the E3 demo and the upcoming end product just be a computer running their front end, too?

I said that it was running both their front end, and also emulators too.

We know, just from looking at it, that their front end is somewhat proprietary and unique to their product.

We have no clue at all where the emulators come from, and whether they are violating the terms of the GPL, or of some emulator's authors wishes in not allowing commercial use of their code.

The idea that your friends, even if their team is much larger, have secretly funded completely new, but yet pixel perfect emulators, from scratch, of so many systems, in so little time ... well, that's one of the points of skepticism.

Sure, the Polymaji team is full of PCE fans, and they've probably licensed David Michel's MagicEngine and his SystemCard BIOS knockoff (that is know to have problems with some games).

But that is only one system. There are plenty of others that don't have licenseable emulators or, more to the point, licenseable knockoffs of the original proprietary Sega/Sony/etc BIOS.

I will say that I've not yet seen SNES carts running, but I'm confident it will happen soon since they plan to launch by year's end. I look forward to seeing if video proof of that is the key to acceptance (assuming, of course, they can pull it off).

We all look forward to getting some proof that their technology works as well as they claim that it does ... if they can provide that.

But if they start trying to take pre-orders soon, the way that they have indicated, and do it before that proof is delivered ... then things are going in a very bad direction.

• Like 1

I'm not as interested in this console, but I find it pretty hilarious that some of you guys think this console is vaporware like the Coleco Chameleon or the Atari VCS.

I mean, they actually showed up to E3 with a workable prototype, what more do you guys want? lol

It's just a shame that the console hasn't gotten any buzz -- it would be interesting to see or read reports on how well the games play. It's impressive enough that they followed through and brought something to the table in a field of liers & profligates.

I would like real advertising that tells the truth or at least comes close to it. Much like Electronic Games Magazine (and similar publications) from years ago when we were kids.

EGM ran articles and interviews and previews. And for the most part a lot of it actually happened.

I want real advertisements on TV like when we were kids. They showed a game or console. And in a month or two it showed up in real stores where I could make a purchase and bring it home.

There was none of the noise like there is on social media. Till a company has a product to sell, they're just generating hot air.

The first time they showed up somewhere, their prototype was a computer running their front end. That's not enough for an unproven, untested company.

Again, it's up to them to prove their claims. If it works, great! I said way back in the beginning of all this that a Retron-like device to replace ailing CD machines sounds good. What I'm not a fan of is the potential pricing, the marketing nonsense like "hybrid emulation," and the lack of explanations as to how stuff actually works.

When did critical thinking become verboten? I don't get it; you should want the most information up front so you can weigh your options better.

When that critical thinking highlights the difference between what the internet wants you to believe and what you discover in reality. Like instant money making because you're drawing up plans for a new retroconsole.

• Like 1

I would like real advertising that tells the truth or at least comes close to it. Much like Electronic Games Magazine (and similar publications) from years ago when we were kids.

EGM ran articles and interviews and previews. And for the most part a lot of it actually happened.

I want real advertisements on TV like when we were kids. They showed a game or console. And in a month or two it showed up in real stores where I could make a purchase and bring it home.

There was none of the noise like there is on social media. Till a company has a product to sell, they're just generating hot air.

Asking for a bit too much. Real advertising on that level costs money -- you're not going to ever see adverts on the TV for any of these small time companies, Analogue included. And no one cares about newsprint media, not over various Internet formats.

Don't be blinded by nostalgia either -- there was a good deal of failed projects back then as well for every success. The only thing that has changed is the visibility of it all, thanks to the ever watching eye of social media. Realize this is the new norm and those olden days you wish to have are long gone, well over 15-20 years ago.

As for generating hot air, we'll just have to see where it goes. Looks like they are keeping the ball rolling, if those Tweets are anything to go by. Their Marketing team sucks, or is nonexistent, that much is for certain.

There's still no technical information on how/why their system would be any better at playing old games than retroarch, or any other software emulator.

you can't fill empty shelf space with retroarch. You can however fill a whole display cabinet with waybackbrix and genuine waybackbrix branded accessories. The true enthusiast is going to have acrylic stands for each module and all the controllers, that let the LED shelf lighting hit them at just the right angle.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 5

My main takeaway from their E3 announcements is that they are concentrating on the longterm on the aspect of their plan, which I thought was their real interest all along.

They want to operate a digital storefront that lets people buy/rent old console games in a copy-protected manner, and are trying to build that business. The idea of cornering that particular market is probably the real reason why the angel investor put in the seed capital that they're using.

Yeah, this is what has me antsy. It's probably been their intent all along. It's why they they've been so very legalistic about their ROMs and installing carts to the system but not allowing external ROM imports. It's why, early on, they talked about CD-Rs being verboten even though the original hardware they're emulating would read them. Nobody goes to the effort of modern anti-piracy techniques on vintage target hardware unless they're trying to (at the same time) sell games in an online store, which I have no interest in. For every Steam, PSN, or GoG, there are a hundred failed startups that took some money and then vanished into the ether.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 4

Yeah, this is what has me antsy. It's probably been their intent all along. It's why they they've been so very legalistic about their ROMs and installing carts to the system but not allowing external ROM imports. It's why, early on, they talked about CD-Rs being verboten even though the original hardware they're emulating would read them. Nobody goes to the effort of modern anti-piracy techniques on vintage target hardware unless they're trying to (at the same time) sell games in an online store, which I have no interest in. For every Steam, PSN, or GoG, there are a hundred failed startups that took some money and then vanished into the ether.

And I don't even have a problem with that, so long as it doesn't come at the expense of the retro support. However, given that what they're promising on the retro end is nothing short of alchemy, then delivering anything less will make me conclude that yes, resources that could have made retro better were squandered on the modern marketplace.

• Like 1

I have a computer that plays games better than XboneX and Ps4pro... Shame on Sony and Microsoft for making those.

I can't believe I missed this gem. :lol:

Let me know when Sony's first party dev games show up on your PC. The waybackbrix has NOTHING exclusive. Everything it can play can be played on dozens of other devices. OG xbox, wii, cell phones, PSP etc..

• Like 2

I played the system at E3, didn't see it run physical media, only built in games. However they did had a Turbografx Module, but didn't think of playing the game inserted.

I chose to play Killer Instinct SNES as I know a couple of ultra combos by memory and I know the speed etc. The USB controller had a tiny lag, almost unnoticeable; however Brian and Eric told me that the original input games did not had any lag at all, that USB slight lag was known.

The first trial for KI, the system ran slow and laggy, Eric proceed to check the system (may be the power supply?) and said it was running hot already, he rebooted, I tried again and the game ran 100%.

Sharp Pixels, it also had a couple of built in display filters but I didn't liked them (they are not your typical super eagle, TV mode etc). I preferred the sharp pixels.

the UI is awesome, it is much better than any other Plug and play etc. I like that it has some sort of Mobygames.com API (either built in, or accessed through web/updates) and you can see the art of the games, screenshots, description, and they said they will try to put videos too. UI is very pretty.

They explained me the "Hybrid Emulation" basically some stuff runs on the Processor (honestly don't know if it is ARM or Intel or what) and some other stuff is handled by FPGA.

They run the game on the fly, so no ROM dumping. I asked if they were aware of the Patent Hyperkin had on ROM dumping+ Emulation + HDMI out, and they said they were aware, but their hybrid emulation would not infringe on that one.

They definitely were not college kids with a school project, as they were adults, and they had a pretty decent development resume (AAA titles).

Overall solid project, and no vaporware for now. They had a PCB on display which they said it was part of the main system (where the FPGA was).

Patent Reference:

"[0081] 6. A game cartridge is easily digitally distinguishable from no cartridge. In step 210 the FPGA, likely in conjunction with the SOC's CPU, is used to check for the presence of a game cartridge.

[0082] 7. A program loop, 212, is created to check all slots for the presence of cartridges.

[0083] 8. Once at least one cartridge is found, then in 214 the ROM contents of the cartridge are read into RAM. If there is more than one cartridge inserted then one can be selected by the user. From here the content can be accessed faster than the relatively slower ROM used in typical (especially older) game consoles.

[0084] 9. In step 218 a custom GUI is loaded from storage media into RAM and output displayed on the output display device, typically a TV or monitor perhaps using an HDMI output such as 136 shown in FIG. 1 and controlled using one of the Joypad input methods. The interface is designed to assist the user to make various choices about the game before launching. For example whether to activate any cheats, any graphical filters to improve game appearance whether to speed up (overclock) or slow down a game etc.

[0085] 10. In step 218 A `Software emulator` to translate the original code and data into appropriate code and data for the new chipset is also loaded into RAM to a separate memory location.

[0086] 11. In step 220 the Emulator is launched by passing its start address to the program counter, any configuration options entered by the user into the GUI are passed to this section of code.

[0087] 12. The external Joypads in step 222, are read continuously during play and the values passed to the emulator. Output from the emulator is displayed on the Screen in step 224. Should the user press an assigned button(s) on the console or joypad button the user is taken back to the GUI in steps 226 and 228 where they are given the option to Save the RAM contents to Mass Storage device, probably SD card so the game can be loaded at a later date after the machine has been switched off. "

Edited by PikoInteractive

Patent Reference:

"[0081] 6. A game cartridge is easily digitally distinguishable from no cartridge. In step 210 the FPGA, likely in conjunction with the SOC's CPU, is used to check for the presence of a game cartridge.

[0082] 7. A program loop, 212, is created to check all slots for the presence of cartridges.

[0083] 8. Once at least one cartridge is found, then in 214 the ROM contents of the cartridge are read into RAM. If there is more than one cartridge inserted then one can be selected by the user. From here the content can be accessed faster than the relatively slower ROM used in typical (especially older) game consoles.

[0084] 9. In step 218 a custom GUI is loaded from storage media into RAM and output displayed on the output display device, typically a TV or monitor perhaps using an HDMI output such as 136 shown in FIG. 1 and controlled using one of the Joypad input methods. The interface is designed to assist the user to make various choices about the game before launching. For example whether to activate any cheats, any graphical filters to improve game appearance whether to speed up (overclock) or slow down a game etc.

[0085] 10. In step 218 A `Software emulator` to translate the original code and data into appropriate code and data for the new chipset is also loaded into RAM to a separate memory location.

[0086] 11. In step 220 the Emulator is launched by passing its start address to the program counter, any configuration options entered by the user into the GUI are passed to this section of code.

[0087] 12. The external Joypads in step 222, are read continuously during play and the values passed to the emulator. Output from the emulator is displayed on the Screen in step 224. Should the user press an assigned button(s) on the console or joypad button the user is taken back to the GUI in steps 226 and 228 where they are given the option to Save the RAM contents to Mass Storage device, probably SD card so the game can be loaded at a later date after the machine has been switched off. "

That line is unenforceable, every emulator on the planet does/did/will-continue-to-do that and they all are prior art.

You don't believe me: take a Rpi slam on it RetroPie, put it in a box, connect it to your TV via HDMI and use any joypad on USB .... ridiculous.

Dumping cart to RAM is not exactly new either is it .... how do they think any game was dumped to begin with ... one bit at a time straight to a floppy/tape?

Compound use of FPGA and a micro also is pretty common, check the SD2SNES flash cart (it has a microcontroller to deal with the SD and the USB and the FPGA to perform "some other stuff" ....) by the way the MiST project is/was exactly the same a microcontroller + FPGA. Don't care if they think their split is different, it's nothing new at this stage until they prove they have some real advantage to show for.

I played the system at E3, didn't see it run physical media, only built in games. However they did had a Turbografx Module, but didn't think of playing the game inserted.

I chose to play Killer Instinct SNES as I know a couple of ultra combos by memory and I know the speed etc. The USB controller had a tiny lag, almost unnoticeable; however Brian and Eric told me that the original input games did not had any lag at all, that USB slight lag was known.

The first trial for KI, the system ran slow and laggy, Eric proceed to check the system (may be the power supply?) and said it was running hot already, he rebooted, I tried again and the game ran 100%.

Sharp Pixels, it also had a couple of built in display filters but I didn't liked them (they are not your typical super eagle, TV mode etc). I preferred the sharp pixels.

the UI is awesome, it is much better than any other Plug and play etc. I like that it has some sort of Mobygames.com API (either built in, or accessed through web/updates) and you can see the art of the games, screenshots, description, and they said they will try to put videos too. UI is very pretty.

They explained me the "Hybrid Emulation" basically some stuff runs on the Processor (honestly don't know if it is ARM or Intel or what) and some other stuff is handled by FPGA.

They run the game on the fly, so no ROM dumping. I asked if they were aware of the Patent Hyperkin had on ROM dumping+ Emulation + HDMI out, and they said they were aware, but their hybrid emulation would not infringe on that one.

They definitely were not college kids with a school project, as they were adults, and they had a pretty decent development resume (AAA titles).

Overall solid project, and no vaporware for now. They had a PCB on display which they said it was part of the main system (where the FPGA was).

Patent Reference:

Sounds like BS as people been using Hyperspin, and Attract-Mode Frontend for years doing a lot of this stuff if not a lot more especially with Rom Dumping, and reading disc on the fly isn't that much harder.

Here is a example of Attract-mode which in this case is hiding window based emulators, allows controls to be changed and makes it all seemless

Was the Same with Retro VGS

RPG Site: So explain to me a little bit about one of the things on the poster is hybrid emulation. So if you wouldn't mind explain a little bit what exactly that is and what parts are driven by the FPGA (Field-Programmable Gate Array) hardware.

Bryan: So hybrid emulation at its core is - we are running traditional emulation and that is the way that you would play games that are not inserted into the console. But what hybrid emulation is there's an FPGA that's also on the board and we have a custom memory controller that sits in between the FPGA and the CPU and what that does is it interprets cartridge data directly from the cartridge when it's inserted. So if you have a game that has a special chip on it, like a Super FX chip, rather than trying to emulate that part of the cartridge, we are actually reading that chip directly off of the cartridge itself so that way we're going to get a more accurate reproduction. You're getting wider compatibility and all that sort of thing.

• Like 2