IGNORED

Retroblox

omnispiro

So, some new information has come to light.

Retrobox's website claims the "patented hybrid emulation technology", however, the press release claims "patent pending hybrid emulation technology".

This is called "false marking", and isn't ethical, and possibly not legal to do. (Mind you, I'm not a patent lawyer. Just going from what Google says. Nonetheless, this isn't good...)

I don't mean to point fingers, as this may have been some accidental oversight. However, this is incredibly important to get correct from the get go, to avoid misconception.

See below (click the picture), or see for yourself directly on their website (http://retroblox.com/ and http://retroblox.com/press/)

Uj6og7l.png

Edited by Lyth
  • Like 1

So, some new information has come to light.

Retrobox's website claims the "patented hybrid emulation technology", however, the press release claims "patent pending hybrid emulation technology".

This is called "false marking", and isn't ethical, and possibly not legal to do. (Mind you, I'm not a patent lawyer. Just going from what Google says. Nonetheless, this isn't good...)

I don't mean to point fingers, as this may have been some accidental oversight. However, this is incredibly important to get correct from the get go, to avoid misconception.

See below (click the picture), or see for yourself directly on their website (http://retroblox.com/ and http://retroblox.com/press/)

Uj6og7l.png

Assuming this "patented" technology already exists as "prior art" with the emulator + dumper consoles such as Retron5 and RetroFreak, not to mention any names, then one of two things are fact: #1: they violate existing patents by Hyperkin and whomever owns RF, or #2: if R5 and RF aren't patented, then any existing patent applications by RetroBlox are unenforceable.

And dangit, I love my homebrews. I got a bunch of RetroUSB UOROM and independantly published GT-ROM games that utilize flash-based saving, and none of that stuff work on existing NOAC clones or emulation dumpers. But they work on FPGA clones such as AVS and Analogue NT Mini. Hmmm...

I want my damn Everdrives and homebrews to work on whatever crap this company throws out there. Just saying... :roll:

• Like 1

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me, were this law to be enforced, retroblox dude would be out at least $500 x 3 for those false claims.

Asking for money while making false claims is no way to go through life, son

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/35/292

(a) Whoever, without the consent of the patentee, marks upon, or affixes to, or uses in advertising in connection with anything made, used, offered for sale, or sold by such person within the United States, or imported by the person into the United States, the name or any imitation of the name of the patentee, the patent number, or the words patent, patentee, or the like, with the intent of counterfeiting or imitating the mark of the patentee, or of deceiving the public and inducing them to believe that the thing was made, offered for sale, sold, or imported into the United States by or with the consent of the patentee; or

Whoever marks upon, or affixes to, or uses in advertising in connection with any unpatented article, the word patent or any word or number importing that the same is patented, for the purpose of deceiving the public; or

Whoever marks upon, or affixes to, or uses in advertising in connection with any article, the words patent applied for, patent pending, or any word importing that an application for patent has been made, when no application for patent has been made, or if made, is not pending, for the purpose of deceiving the public

Shall be fined not more than $500 for every such offense. Only the United States may sue for the penalty authorized by this subsection.

(b) A person who has suffered a competitive injury as a result of a violation of this section may file a civil action in a district court of the United States for recovery of damages adequate to compensate for the injury.

© The marking of a product, in a manner described in subsection (a), with matter relating to a patent that covered that product but has expired is not a violation of this section.

• Like 2

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me, were this law to be enforced, retroblox dude would be out at least $500 x 3 for those false claims.

Asking for money while making false claims is no way to go through life, son

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/35/292

(a) Whoever, without the consent of the patentee, marks upon, or affixes to, or uses in advertising in connection with anything made, used, offered for sale, or sold by such person within the United States, or imported by the person into the United States, the name or any imitation of the name of the patentee, the patent number, or the words patent, patentee, or the like, with the intent of counterfeiting or imitating the mark of the patentee, or of deceiving the public and inducing them to believe that the thing was made, offered for sale, sold, or imported into the United States by or with the consent of the patentee; or

Whoever marks upon, or affixes to, or uses in advertising in connection with any unpatented article, the word patent or any word or number importing that the same is patented, for the purpose of deceiving the public; or

Whoever marks upon, or affixes to, or uses in advertising in connection with any article, the words patent applied for, patent pending, or any word importing that an application for patent has been made, when no application for patent has been made, or if made, is not pending, for the purpose of deceiving the public

Shall be fined not more than $500 for every such offense. Only the United States may sue for the penalty authorized by this subsection.

(b) A person who has suffered a competitive injury as a result of a violation of this section may file a civil action in a district court of the United States for recovery of damages adequate to compensate for the injury.

© The marking of a product, in a manner described in subsection (a), with matter relating to a patent that covered that product but has expired is not a violation of this section.

It's possible that it was an honest mistake. However, in any type of business, it is important to give accurate information to your customers, especially during launch. And, especially after the Chameleon bamboozle-ment.

Not sure of what to make of this. *sigh*

We'll see! Any information regarding their showcase at that convention?

It's possible that it was an honest mistake.

"Your honor, I'm sorry! I just threw the words 'patented' and 'patent pending' around because I thought they sounded cool!"

isn't so different from

"The Chameleon isn't fake, look at all these emails from Konami asking me to stop using their name as if we have a deal!"

"Your honor, I'm sorry! I just threw the words 'patented' and 'patent pending' around because I thought they sounded cool!"

isn't so different from

"The Chameleon isn't fake, look at all these emails from Konami asking me to stop using their name as if we have a deal!"

You hit the nail exactly on the head their, my friend. :)

I'm beginning to love this community already! ;)

Edit: Darn internet here, being all wonky!

Edited by Lyth

Interesting system I wonder what will come of it. I could see the value of a multi system that uses FPGA and real hardware.

Believe their is some legal issues on FPGA which is why only a few people are doing public FPGA game projects, specially since some of the more modern Game (Late 80's +) system components where prototyped with FPGA or similar technologies and would be copyrighted till around 2040+

Plus the DMCA in the US, also hinders this by quite a lot since a lot of systems are locked and also have some type of software key or hardware key to play the game

That's Final Fight CD, which explains why there's no cartridge in there. So maybe it's playing off CD in that shot. If that's the case then it's pretty neat but we need more info as it would be super easy to fake that.

yup... this could easily be done by an original Xbox tucked away somewhere.

Really not much to go on at this point. Back to eating popcorn.

• Like 1

^ yep, and if Pi3's can run PSX I'm sure Sega CD is no sweat.

Where did that photo come from? From the reflection of the unit behind glass it doesn't seem to have outputs on the back. So maybe that's just a mockup in there and the one on the table is the 'working prototype'

We should ask to see the back but I don't think this guy is dumb enough to do that if he's hiding something.

• Like 1

There's really no information yet to suggest this is another Coleco Chameleon. But so far, there's nothing to say it ISN'T. And with history being what it is, that's what we need to know. Benefit of the doubt died the day some putz stuck a SNES in a jag shell and announced a Kickstarter for it.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 2

Booth photo

attachicon.gifIMG_4842.JPG

Well it's definitely not an SNES Mini crammed in there. This could be really good, but so far there's nothing to indicate it isn't just a Raspberry Pi with custom firmware and a USB CDROM crammed into it.

Regardless, they've already gone miles beyond what MK and company ever managed to produce. So I will remain cautiously optimistic.

• Like 2