IGNORED

TI-99/4a nanoPEB RS-232 -> Tandy 102

palmheads

Am using a serial -> USB convertor - hmmm may well even be that - I might try & install a serial card on the PC - good thinking!

Either that or try another usb adapter.. the ports on the TI tend to be picky about signal.. I use a FTDI chip USB adapter and it works great for HDX but others have had very frustrating times with USB adapters that don't work right with the TI you will always be better off with a real card

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I modified Mass Transfer (40 columns) to work with the nano. I didn't retrofit it with my high-speed routines, so the best speed is 2400 with dropped characters at 4800. I uploaded it to Heatwave for test purposes. Since I am still waiting for the power cord for my nano, I could only verify the program operates with a standard TI.

Hi InsaneMultitasker

I think I've grabbed the right disk off Heatwave. The file was called '@MT74NANO' which is a DSK that contains these 3 files:

• MX74
  • MX75
  • MX76

Looks like I can load 'MX74' from the Editor/Assembler cart using "RUN PROGRAM FILE".

Sounds about right?

cheers

Daryn

You got it. :) Hopefully it will work; I really hate not being able to test things up front!

Gave it a go last night (after remembering how to add DSK's to the CF card for the nanoPEB!).

Going through the Run Program File, DSK1.MX74 etc etc didn't load and gave me an error 7.

Will try again in the weekend making sure I have the right files on my CF Card, 'cos it seemed to work on classic99 doing the same exact thing.

Will let you know!

Daryn

At the risk of suggesting the obvious, has the volume loaded on the nanoPEB with the MX74 files been mounted as DSK1?

...lee

Yeah I did a CALL MOUNT etc etc - actually I normally have the nanoPEB CATALOG stuff on DSK1, but I made the effort to move that stuff to DSK2 & made my DSK with the Mass Xfer stuff in DSK1 just in case- and I did run the CATALOG from DSK2 too see if the right disk was in DSK1.

I'II repeat what I did & just make sure, because I was in a hurry.

Gave it a go last night (after remembering how to add DSK's to the CF card for the nanoPEB!).

Going through the Run Program File, DSK1.MX74 etc etc didn't load and gave me an error 7.

Will try again in the weekend making sure I have the right files on my CF Card, 'cos it seemed to work on classic99 doing the same exact thing.

I transferred Mass transfer 7.4 to my nano's CF device. I was able to load the program using Editor Assembler option 5. I grabbed a standard 9-to-25 pin cable, connected it to my UDS, and was able to telnet into Heatwave at 2400bps. I am glad Jaime used a standard 9-pin RS232 pinout so that I didn't have to make my own cable! I'm currently downloading a few files to the nano via Heatwave for testing... ;) Hopefully your load problem is simple to resolve. You are using ALL CAPS, right? (and the file on the disk is capitalized?)

Woo! Tried my DSK on js99 & got the same error. So loaded the files back onto it this time in v9t9 format. Worked on js99. Then copied back onto CF card (all the time using xdt tools) and success! Loaded great. Thanks InsaneMultiTasker & everyone else.

Unfortunately it looks like I may have a faulty serial port on my nanoPeb. Still can't get an echo happening in Terminal mode from the TI to Linux using picocom. Will keep a lazy eye on a new nanoPeb.

Cheers everyone.

Woo! Tried my DSK on js99 & got the same error. So loaded the files back onto it this time in v9t9 format. Worked on js99. Then copied back onto CF card (all the time using xdt tools) and success! Loaded great. Thanks InsaneMultiTasker & everyone else.

Unfortunately it looks like I may have a faulty serial port on my nanoPeb. Still can't get an echo happening in Terminal mode from the TI to Linux using picocom. Will keep a lazy eye on a new nanoPeb.

Cheers everyone.

What pinouts/cable are you using on either end? Might be something simple...

I guess thats the only other thing - it could be my null modem cable.

Have attached some piccies.

post-40572-0-03380500-1488689481_thumb.jpg Typing stuff in TERM mode on Tandy 102

post-40572-0-61261400-1488689376_thumb.png

Echoed out using picocom on ubuntu

So I know it "can" work.

For the TI, have now tried 3 different serial->usb convertors (left of piccie)

post-40572-0-24996700-1488689731_thumb.jpg

The middle one has FTDI. The top one is the one I use with the Tandy.

post-40572-0-42060400-1488689746_thumb.jpg

This is the null modem cable I am using

post-40572-0-76572400-1488689572_thumb.jpg

Settings in Mass Xfer

post-40572-0-67767400-1488689867_thumb.jpg

Typing stuff in Terminal mode

post-40572-0-91780200-1488689803_thumb.png

Nothing appearing in Ubuntu. Tested with all 3 serial->usb converters.

Will keep on playing, will try another null modem cable. Or maybe a proper serial device on an old PC.

cheers

Daryn

I guess thats the only other thing - it could be my null modem cable.

Have attached some piccies.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170305_171228.jpg Typing stuff in TERM mode on Tandy 102

attachicon.giftandy2.png

Echoed out using picocom on ubuntu

So I know it "can" work.

For the TI, have now tried 3 different serial->usb convertors (left of piccie)

attachicon.gifIMG_20170305_171558.jpg

The middle one has FTDI. The top one is the one I use with the Tandy.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170305_171608.jpg

This is the null modem cable I am using

attachicon.gifIMG_20170305_171747.jpg

Settings in Mass Xfer

attachicon.gifIMG_20170305_173055.jpg

Typing stuff in Terminal mode

attachicon.gifti99-3.png

Nothing appearing in Ubuntu. Tested with all 3 serial->usb converters.

Will keep on playing, will try another null modem cable. Or maybe a proper serial device on an old PC.

cheers

Daryn

If I'm seeing the picture right for the serial to USB adapters you are using the one with the LED light i know works as I use that one and have tested it with the TI while connected to both a Pi3 and a Windows machine.

I would think that maybe it's the cable or (hopefully not) you have a bad serial port on the Nano.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm - one thing I haven't tried is getting hold of a straight through RS232 cable.

InsaneMultiTasker - your post here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240729-midi-module-or-synthesizer-connected-to-the-ti-994a/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3717509

Might indicate it would have more chance to work than perhaps a null modem cable? Or no real difference?

Hmmm - one thing I haven't tried is getting hold of a straight through RS232 cable.

InsaneMultiTasker - your post here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240729-midi-module-or-synthesizer-connected-to-the-ti-994a/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3717509

Might indicate it would have more chance to work than perhaps a null modem cable? Or no real difference?

Pretty sure you need the null/cross-over cable as you are connecting two DTE devices. Are you certain your cable isn't a straight-through? (I don't know how a Tandy COM port is wired). There are some cables that don't pass all the signals. Are you able to test the cable with a continuity tester?

When you type from the Mass Transfer side, does the cursor keep blinking or does it 'lock up'? The latter could point to a CTS/RTS issue; see my most recent post in the midi thread.

The Tandy Model 100 & 102 were fun portable machines BITD. I used to have the NEC PC8201A version.

It had two banks of 32K. I also had mine hooked up to my TI-99/4A.

gallery_35324_1504_19080.jpg

I always wished the versions of BASIC were more compatible between machines. With all these "SUPER CARTRIDGES" we have now days it would be kind of cool if a version of GWBASIC was available for the TI.

Pretty sure you need the null/cross-over cable as you are connecting two DTE devices. Are you certain your cable isn't a straight-through? (I don't know how a Tandy COM port is wired). There are some cables that don't pass all the signals. Are you able to test the cable with a continuity tester?

When you type from the Mass Transfer side, does the cursor keep blinking or does it 'lock up'? The latter could point to a CTS/RTS issue; see my most recent post in the midi thread.

I connect the tandy model 100 to the pc with a null modem. Therefore it should also connect to the nano with a null modem, but your cts/rts you found on the midi cable may be the issue.

I connect my nano to the PC for HDXS with a null modem.

Greg

• Like 1

Just for completeness, I purchased an RS232 Straight thru cable - nothing with picocom & linux.

My very last hope is purchasing the USB->Serial that Greg mentions in another thread:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHYJWWG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If that doesn't work then I will see if a new nanoPeb fixes the issue

• 1 month later...

OK got hold of another nanoPeb.

Worked first time! :)

So TI using Mass X'fer (MX74) & nanoPeb with null modem cable connected to Ubuntu Linux and picocom! Got a echo terminal working! Great!

Will try my Tandy 102 in the weekend!!!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, GDMike said:

i hope this the rt place for this, excuse me if not. 

are you duscussing the GURU modem project? if so, how does it work? i see there for sell on arcade shopper...oh..youre actuall pm'ng me as im writing...ill hold my thoughts here...

gurumodem is a wifimodem.. it emulates a Hayes smartmodem..  it works like any other Hayes modem.. you connect it to a rs232 port, use terminal software and type ATDT  but instead of a phone number you use a ip address or url for a telnet site..

info:https://electronicsisfun.com/gurumodem

the manual is here: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/1596011c-abb0-4735-882d-d81cd060bbd9/downloads/GuruModemMan-v1.0.pdf?ver=1559047958913

3 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

gurumodem is a wifimodem.. it emulates a Hayes smartmodem..  it works like any other Hayes modem.. you connect it to a rs232 port, use terminal software and type ATDT  but instead of a phone number you use a ip address or url for a telnet site..

info:https://electronicsisfun.com/gurumodem

the manual is here: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/1596011c-abb0-4735-882d-d81cd060bbd9/downloads/GuruModemMan-v1.0.pdf?ver=1559047958913

I asked the question about the nanoPEB version of Mass Transfer so I could use a GuruModem with my nanoPEB. I got the files from palmheads and have attached a DSK.

MXNANO.dsk

• Like 2