IGNORED

Hdmi GameCube from eBay is great

ryoder

I bought an hdmi GameCube on eBay and it is perfect.

It displays awesomely on my 50 inch LCD tv. Highly recommend these boxes.

I think it was around 220 or something so very reasonable considering the component cable sells for 300.

Doesn't the GameCube already have component cables? Or only certain ones have it?

GC came with composite. Nintendo store only sold direct component cables being too chicken to put them at retail. They stopped selling them about 1/2 into the GC's life, now flippers who have or find them will peddle the things for like $300 which is sick. So yes I agree, if you can get a cherry Gamecube with the HDMI jack added into it which gives it solid visual clarity the component cable gives if not more -- it's a value.'

When they stopped selling the cable, sometime around/after they removed the digital video out port on the back of the Cube.

I've got a launch day unit with the jack, and I imagine if I knew how to do the work and could handle it I'd love to throw a HDMI port into it.

Doesn't the GameCube already have component cables? Or only certain ones have it?

The trick with the GC is that Nintendo put the digital to analog YUV chip in the cable rather than in the console, so instead of having cheap Chinese cables for 5€, you have some rare Nintendo cables that apaprently double in price every year.

The Digital port was dropped at some point in the GC life, but personnally I have yet to see one of those CG so they are probably much rarer.

Wow, that's nuts -- $300 GameCube component cables. As far as the Wii, it's funny, most people have the basic composite Wii connections, even though the superior component cables can be had for so little -- $7 or so.

A friend of mine had a stall at the flea market and he carried the Wii component cables, sensor bars, etc.. He sold a crap ton of them. If something's made available and inexpensive, it will sell. If someone was buying Wii games, he'd ask if they had component cables. Upsell them.

Edited by Trekker_1138

Yeah, I got one of those Chinese RGB and YUV cables for my Wii, and the RGB one for the GameCube - as far as I'm concerned, for now, GC looks good enough with SCART RGB. HDMI is a nice option for the future, but really a Wii U in Wii mode with the exploit can run GameCube games so that's your CG on HDMI needs covered.

Edited by CatPix

Cool! I shelled out for a GameCube component cable back when they were "only" $120, but for $300 I'd go the Wii route with $7 component cables to play GC games. Would be nice to see the HDMI mod become more widely available as it is starting to be for the N64. I don't mind composite for 8/16 bit systems, but for 3d general stuff you really start to notice the difference. That's why I now play PS1 only on my ps2 or 3, had my N64 RGB modded, and am working on the Saturn...Even my Dreamcast has to be VGA but TVs are losing those sadly.

Does it then output at 4:3 or 16:9?

Sad to say I'm not sure. The picture looks widescreen but my tv remote died so I can't even check the tvs scaling options.

I am using the set top box remote to control the tv and work a lot of hours so I need to find out later. I don't like stretched images either.

Cool! I shelled out for a GameCube component cable back when they were "only" $120, but for $300 I'd go the Wii route with $7 component cables to play GC games. Would be nice to see the HDMI mod become more widely available as it is starting to be for the N64. I don't mind composite for 8/16 bit systems, but for 3d general stuff you really start to notice the difference. That's why I now play PS1 only on my ps2 or 3, had my N64 RGB modded, and am working on the Saturn...Even my Dreamcast has to be VGA but TVs are losing those sadly.

Nice find.

My retro collecting is all about hdmi vga rgb modded consoles and computers with SD or flash hard drives and wireless mouse KB and game pad. I want to play on modern screens and input devices with original hardware.

Came here to post this and ask the same.

I do have one right now but have never actually tried it *blushes* not even once.

Do you guys want to see what it looks like in action?

I wish they'd make one of those adapters for the Gamecube. I'd buy it just to see if it would work if it's that cheap.

I looked into making one, once. Turns out, the reason it's so hard is the same reason the component cables are so expensive... all the decoding would have to be done outside the system. But yeah, if a small adapter could hdmi-enable my cube, I'd be on that like cheeto dust on a stoner.

• Like 2

I looked into making one, once. Turns out, the reason it's so hard is the same reason the component cables are so expensive... all the decoding would have to be done outside the system. But yeah, if a small adapter could hdmi-enable my cube, I'd be on that like cheeto dust on a stoner.

I heard they are working on a plug 'n play version of then gcvideo mod: http://www.retrocollect.com/News/plug-n-play-nintendo-gamecube-hdmi-out-modification-gcvideo-coming-soon.html

I could solder it myself but I hate drilling holes in a gamecube.

Edited by roland p
  • Like 2

I heard they are working on a plug 'n play version of then gcvideo mod: http://www.retrocollect.com/News/plug-n-play-nintendo-gamecube-hdmi-out-modification-gcvideo-coming-soon.html

I could solder it myself but I hate drilling holes in a gamecube.

If it works well, I can't express how fast I will sign up for this.

• Like 2