mozzwald

As far as firmware functionality, we really only need:

* ask for interface config (ATI)

* engage interactive config

* explicitly set SSID

* explicitly set PSK password.

* set baud rate

* answer

* connection attempt causes RING to be emitted.

* Dial out, respond to ATD ATDT ATDP ATDI and do exactly the same thing, 

* Switch to change telnet/raw mode

* Auto-answer on/off (S0)

* set guard time for +++ (S2)

* set connection timeout (S7)

* enable/disable RTS/CTS vs XON/XOFF vs no handshake (&K1 &K2 &K0)

* load handler using same mechanisms as 850.

Shouldn't be much more, but I think I can put together a firmware that's best tailored for our use.

-Thom

• Like 1

Yep, my objective is to first develop a working R: Handler supporting RTS / CTS flow control and Carrier Detect / Drop, RING Indicator / Count,  plus testing a new Amodem using that.

Then I'll make the revised board dropping the 74LS00's. A new Atari-Zimodem firmware should be debugged by then...

• Like 1

I am trying to push in this direction to get a device that can respond to type 0 and 3 polls for loading a handler.

As far as the driver, Sijmen has an R:VERTER driver that is both:

(1) much faster than the current R:VERTER handler (basically the equivalent of removing smog control)

(2) can support much larger receive buffers (which I need for PLATOTERM to run at much higher baud rates)

-Thom

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mytek said:

Any possibility of having this work more like a standard SIO device, thus not requiring the cassette motor control line to enable it?

Should be possible in software. Really, all we need is the command line and read the command. If it's not for the modem, ignore it. Could probably make it work exactly/similarly to an 850. I think motor ctrl is a good temporary solution, not needed ultimately. New R: handler is probably the best route as Thom suggests

• Like 1

I'd like to thank you all for being receptive to my suggestion. I must admit I had an ulterior motive, being that I would like to see MIDI co-exist peacefully with what you are doing. But even for those not interested in that, it also allows a cassette to be used without interference.

Thanks again :) .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, manterola said:

Adding to what Thom said, depending on the firmware you might be able to start a raw connection without TELNET IAC negotiation. That way you will be able to do file transfers. For zimodem, for example, you need to "dial" with ATD xyz.zzz.xy   (without the T) to create a raw connection.

Or create and address book entry and configure it , with "telnet" support.

I tried this but I'll try again.

-SteveS

11 hours ago, mozzwald said:

Nevermind what I said earlier, it looks good :)

I've got the actual level shifter boards coming in sometime tomorrow.  Once I've verified the spacing and verified the schematic, (I always miss something?) I'll finalize the board design.  Attribution added of course.  Not sure if I'll offer a bare or completed board for sale.   I checked the rough gerbers against OSHPark and they say around $17 for three bare boards, which isn't too bad.  I may go that way for the bare boards.  And/Or offer them as well on my website, just in case you can't stand purple pcbs.  ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Will you be releasing the gerber files?

I don't think so.  It's such a simple board, that those who can make it in Eagle or Ki-cad or Diptrace should have no problem and those that can't also aren't likely to be interested in diy anyway.  They just want the board and fully populated and programmed at that.  Never fear there will be an option for a bare board and BOM purchase either through my website or OSHpark for those in the middle.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, manterola said:

Hey SteveS, I meant to say "create and address book entry and configure it , withOUT "telnet" support.

and just to be sure dial with:   ATD 123   , without T, not with ATDT 123

Using an address book or manual dialing made no difference.   I still can't get file transfers to work.   

The NAK responses were much quicker though and regular.

-SteveS

On 10/24/2019 at 7:28 AM, Dropcheck said:

I've got the actual level shifter boards coming in sometime tomorrow.  Once I've verified the spacing and verified the schematic, (I always miss something?) I'll finalize the board design.  Attribution added of course.  Not sure if I'll offer a bare or completed board for sale.   I checked the rough gerbers against OSHPark and they say around $17 for three bare boards, which isn't too bad.  I may go that way for the bare boards.  And/Or offer them as well on my website, just in case you can't stand purple pcbs.  ?

Leave it to the UPS.  The package tracked to Oklahoma City at 5:30am and then nothing all day long.  Usually it gets to Muskogee within a couple of hours and then is dispatched out of there for the last mile delivery.    Amazon is claiming it might still get here today.   But it's getting dark now and it's looking more and more like it won't arrive until Monday. 

On 10/21/2019 at 9:00 AM, mozzwald said:

Oops, yeah, I have the CMD and MTR lines wrong the wiring diagram, sorry about that.

You should probably use a level shifter, but to each his own. You may burn out the esp.

The swap for TX/RX is to prevent the esp boot msgs from being sent to the Atari at power up. I thought it could interfere with boot. Keep this in mind if you have any issues booting with it connected.

If you could try doing a file transfer and report your results it would be much appreciated. I can do small files ~15k or less but anything larger never starts and just times out using Bob Term.

And yesterday I tested it with Platoterm at 1200 baud which worked great.

I managed to transfer very small files from the Atari to minicom (linux box) however minicom reported the average rate was 3 bytes/second.  Other than the initial NAK at the start of the process there were no error messages. All blocks transferred without retries, just agonizingly slowly. 

I put both Zimodems into "binary mode" (which is probably the default) with ATS45=0. I then put the Zimodem connected to minicom into answer mode, ATA1111 (which is port 1111) and used manual *dial* from the Atari, ATD"192.168.1.223:1111".   I did an Xmodem send from the Atari.  Transfers in the other direction failed.

-SteveS

• Like 2