IGNORED

WTB/WTT for Intellivision Learning Fun I and/or II

KylJoy

I was not referring to price fixing. I think it is sorry of the opposite. I was referring to agreeing to not bid against each other to NOT unnecessarily drive the price way up against each other. I had a situation recently where one other person and I were unknowingly bidding against each other and drive the price of an item WAY up. If I would have known that the other bidder was who it was I would have let them have the item at a price hundreds of dollars less than they ended up paying for the item. Sure, someone else could have bid the item way up but I would not have.

it recently happened the same to me and a friend on AA for a 'FCTVVO' Checkers. If I knew who was the other bidder I would have quitted earlier (for the record, I did lose)

You might be right but I currently lean towards thinking that Spiker is more rare but is seen on eBay more because it's often listed with an extremely high Buy-It-Now price so it stays up longer. That said, your post is food for thought...

I think you're exactly right. There are likely fewer copies of Spiker than LF II in existence but Spiker's high value causes it to appear up for sale more often. I always figured it would cost me $300 for LF I, $500 for LF II and $1000 for Spiker (CIB in decent condition). Those last two are simply out of my range unless I luck into them hidden in a random lot online somewhere.

I suppose it happened to me recently as well. I REALLY wanted this, but apparently two others wanted it more. It's rare enough that "You take it, I'll get the next one" probably wouldn't work. I paid less for the box and manual.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1629133160391?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=162913316039&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I have only see one of those Backgammon white labels CIB and this is the first time I've see the cart in the wild. I don't collect variations so it could just be that I don't pay enough attention to Intellivision Inc. versions but that has to be extremely rare.

I have only see one of those Backgammon white labels CIB and this is the first time I've see the cart in the wild. I don't collect variations so it could just be that I don't pay enough attention to Intellivision Inc. versions but that has to be extremely rare.

I was lucky enough to acquire two CIB Intellivision Inc Backgammons and both came with the green label cart. I traded my spare a few years back. I wanted the matching cart to "complete" my copy, though I strongly suspect that at least some of the CIB copies originally sold probably included the green cart. Still, that cart... :sad:

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to acquire two CIB Intellivision Inc Backgammons and both came with the green label cart. I traded my spare a few years back. I wanted the matching cart to "complete" my copy, though I strongly suspect that at least some of the CIB copies originally sold probably included the green cart. Still, that cart... :sad:

If we can confirm both white and green label Backgammon releases by Intellivision Inc. doesn't that open up the possibility of a double label version as well?

Why yes, I am evil!

• Like 1

You know, it might make sense for all of us that need these items to work together instead of against each other for us all to get them. I mean, what if we would agree to work together to not bid on an item so that we are not running the price up against each other. I think that is likely happening now to a degree. I'm not sure that this would workout but we could experiment with it. I don't know how yet. Good idea? Impossible?

There might be an unintended consequence that the market for these rare games dries up. If sellers see LF II start selling for $100 instead of $400, they might decide to only post as BIN $400 or not at all until the market shift back (especially if they themselves paid $300+ for the game). I'm not trying to discourage the idea, just that might only work the first few times and the market might dry up. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

If we can confirm both white and green label Backgammon releases by Intellivision Inc. doesn't that open up the possibility of a double label version as well?

Why yes, I am evil!

Maybe, though I'm surprised they made any black and white Backgammon labels at all. I'm guessing the reason they stuck with the green labels is that they lack any reference to Mattel.

abpa-001.jpg

The box and manuals were loaded with Mattel references, so they made new de-branded ones.

(Image courtesy of INTVFunhouse)

Maybe, though I'm surprised they made any black and white Backgammon labels at all. I'm guessing the reason they stuck with the green labels is that they lack any reference to Mattel.

abpa-001.jpg

The box and manuals were loaded with Mattel references, so they made new de-branded ones.

Isn't that true of some of the known double label carts as well?

I suppose it happened to me recently as well. I REALLY wanted this, but apparently two others wanted it more. It's rare enough that "You take it, I'll get the next one" probably wouldn't work. I paid less for the box and manual.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1629133160391?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=162913316039&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

That was you huh? I thought it might have been. I have to admit I was floored by the final on this. I threw in one of those rediculous to me max bid and never thought it'd get close. It did. I got it, but it was only about $2 shy of my max. I'm REALLY wanting to finish my INTV run and this one would be the toughest from what I've read from you guys.

That was you huh? I thought it might have been. I have to admit I was floored by the final on this. I threw in one of those rediculous to me max bid and never thought it'd get close. It did. I got it, but it was only about $2 shy of my max. I'm REALLY wanting to finish my INTV run and this one would be the toughest from what I've read from you guys.

Congrats! I was the lowest bidder and I also bid more than I should have. I was originally thinking my max would be $25-30, but in a panic I bid $43. In all honesty it's probably rarer than Spiker, just much less in demand. Only 3 people even bid on it and it was pretty obviously listed.

Congrats! I was the lowest bidder and I also bid more than I should have. I was originally thinking my max would be $25-30, but in a panic I bid $43. In all honesty it's probably rarer than Spiker, just much less in demand. Only 3 people even bid on it and it was pretty obviously listed.

The seller originally had it in a lot that I was prepared to bid on, but they cancelled it and posted this on its own. Someone must have bumped the seller to ask them to do that. I was glad they did as the lot was over 100 and had nothing else I wanted.

Holy schnikes!

Ive been stuck at 119 , for a while and am not willing to pay those ebay prices .. I have bid on some but always bid my max that I am willing to pay for a certain game or variant. Im sure there are a lot of us collectors that have multiple/several copies of the rare games that if they hit the market would lower prices a bit. I included on the semi rare games or variants.

Good Luck with your quest KylJoy !!!

• Like 1

For what its worth, the folks on AA tend to band together in other things, so maybe you all could make a kind of joint want list with names of seekers-to-games, and when say LFII comes along you all agree that only the first person (or first and second if first is unavailable) bids to win. Next auction it goes to person #3, etc. it would not fix everything but it would at least keep the infra-AA bidding wars to a minimum. The idea is to get individual Brotherhood members to complete their collections, and get the CIBs out of the hands of pure capitalists that dont actually love the Inty, right?

Edited by First Spear
  • Like 2

abpa-001.jpg

Intellivision Inc. / INTV Corp must have run out of the stock they got from Mattel. They wouldn't have printed new green labels themselves. My Treasure of Tarmin white label cartridge has Mattel molded on the bottom of the cartridge. My Motocross white label does not. INTV could sell any stock they got from Mattel as is, but anything new they produced had to have the Mattel name removed where reasonably possible. The double labels are an oddity, I don't think there was any reason it was required except to hide the sports licensing and other unnecessary licensing. Edited by mr_me

Intellivision Inc. / INTV Corp must have run out of the stock they got from Mattel. They wouldn't have printed new green labels themselves. My Treasure of Tarmin white label cartridge has Mattel molded on the bottom of the cartridge. My Motocross white label does not. INTV could sell any stock they got from Mattel as is, but anything new they produced had to have the Mattel name removed where reasonably possible. The double labels are an oddity, I don't think there was any reason it was required except to hide the sports licensing and other unnecessary licensing.

Agreed. My guess is that there wasn't much Backgammon stuff at all so they printed up only a few boxes, manuals and labels. The one Atari_Bill grabbed recently was screwless, so it was likely either a spare PCB, or they removed it from a Mattel shell and used the updated label on a new shell. I'll have to check my green ones later today to see if the shells have Mattel molded on. If not, they were probably deemed ok to use as is.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...