IGNORED

Problem with Atari 800XL having quiet audio

Ely

So, for anyone who's interested, this issue is now resolved. Turns out the C20 resistor had gone "open-circuit", thus breaking the signal path between the 2 amplifier parts of the LM358. My Dad found this, he's much better at electronics than I am, and retired to has the time to investigate :) Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Good ole pops

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to add to this tread.  I was have the exact same problem with my NTSC 800XL.  The audio was very quite, I had to turn the TV's volume up to about 85% to hear the sound.

I first replaced the LM358 chip, but that didn't help at all.

I then replaced C19, C20 and C22 and that DID solve the problem for me.  THANKS for the info everyone!

Makes me wonder if I should just replace all the other caps on the mainboard ...

Cheers,

Moe

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I wanted to add my comment to this thread too. On my 800XL, the audio was at basically the same level as the background noise coming into the speaker, so though I could hear it with the speaker I have connected to it turned up, it sounded terrible. I replaced the LM358 with a new socketed one first without success. As I have bought cheap "no-name" chips, I tried half a dozen to make sure the chips weren't faulty, and no impact. I got myself a logic probe and tried what was suggested above and them checked the capacitors and resistors linked to the sound circuitry, and nothing seemed unusual, so I moved onto what I should have done in the first place - make sure all of the "big" chips were properly seated, and that did the trick. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions on this thread.

• 4 months later...

Quick question before I start trying to fix the "low" sound level on my 800xl.

Maybe some one is still flowing this thread... What is the out put voltage for the S-video connector... I do not have RF so I need to know what voltage I am looking for on the s-video connector...Maybe it is OK (per a scope,using the self test mode)????

Peter

• 8 months later...

I'm having this problem now.  I ordered both replacement LM358s and 4.7 uF capacitors.    They were cheap enough to order multiples.   I hope one or both solve the problem.

Something I noticed just now.  If I play say a PDM file the sound is not only very low the noise is low as well.  When the music stops the noise replaces the music at a much higher volume level, subjectively 3 or 4 times louder.  It sounds like 60 hz hum to me.   while the music plays the hum is still there but the floor is very, very low.

I don't expect the parts to arrive for several weeks.

-SteveS

HI well I would say you might have a problem with your filter cap's.. If you have "hum"(is it 60HZ hum?) . The 5.0volts may have a filtering problem..The little caps will not help.. If you can check the 5.0vdc for ripple on it... Then check the "BIG" filter caps near the input to the box(power connector)... Now the low volume I can't say because I also have "low" volume and I don't know why.. the sound at the output plug is 6-7 tenth and should work...Maybe it is the box to convert the Atari video/sound to HDMI...

Hope it works soon..

Peter

4 minutes ago, Peter Rabitt said:

HI well I would say you might have a problem with your filter cap's.. If you have "hum"(is it 60HZ hum?) . The 5.0volts may have a filtering problem..The little caps will not help.. If you can check the 5.0vdc for ripple on it... Then check the "BIG" filter caps near the input to the box(power connector)... Now the low volume I can't say because I also have "low" volume and I don't know why.. the sound at the output plug is 6-7 tenth and should work...Maybe it is the box to convert the Atari video/sound to HDMI...

Hope it works soon..

Peter

I have no skills at analyzing electronics problems. A few days ago I measured VDC at 5.01 and VAC at less than 0.01 volt.  I don't know if that's the same as "ripple".

-SteveS

Just thinking about it, it maybe shielding of the cable you use to get to the TV...??? Is it "broken" or does the connectors move around on the cable?? Just some more thoughts...

Also looking at the "big" caps near the input connector and on/off switch look bulged or leaking out the top or maybe bottom?? Sigh of bad input caps...

If your sound is there then most likely the problem is something else.. Grounds or ???

Peter