IGNORED

AT Games Intellivision Flashback 2 coming this fall..........

I have no doubt they're still great games, but I just worded it poorly. They're not good pick up and play titles for a casual gamer that wants to enjoy a classic game, but not invest much effort into learning the mechanics or tracking down a buddy willing to do the same.

Most people that will spend time with these are going to be someone that played them back in the day and remember the qualities they have to offer, rather than a newcomer. Burgertime though is accessible and a good game, and also a good choice if you just want to sit down for 5 minutes and have fun. I can remember matches in some of the sports games going well past 10 minutes.

• Like 2

I'm just asking because I never played it, and everyone keeps mentioning Burgertime. Was it good on INTV? I thought the NES version was pretty close to the arcade? (I kinda stopped playing Popeye on 2600 in lieu of the NES version for the same reason).

I think Intellivision Burgertime is BETTER than the arcade original (which the NES port resembles). The Intellivision version is unapologetically 4:3 fullscreen, with big, chunky characters that are easy to see. It really belongs on any new collection.

I think Keith indicated that the Tron games were not outside the realm of possibility. Modern Disney seems more open to licensing old stuff than in the past.

The Imagic and Activision games are a must for me if there's to be another Intellivision remake. Or an SD card slot so we can bring them ourselves. They're among my favorite memories and I don't feel like I have an easy way to play them.

It's never happening now, but a 3DS version of the Intellivision set would have rocked.

• Like 2

I have no doubt they're still great games, but I just worded it poorly. They're not good pick up and play titles for a casual gamer that wants to enjoy a classic game, but not invest much effort into learning the mechanics or tracking down a buddy willing to do the same.

Most people that will spend time with these are going to be someone that played them back in the day and remember the qualities they have to offer, rather than a newcomer. Burgertime though is accessible and a good game, and also a good choice if you just want to sit down for 5 minutes and have fun. I can remember matches in some of the sports games going well past 10 minutes.

Yeah, NFL Football was in realtime, so it took about the same time as a real football game. The others were simulated time, but even then we would only play half a soccer or basketball game, or one period of hockey. And if it was tied, next goal wins.

Some of best Intellivision games do require you spend five minutes reading the instructions, something many are unfortunately not willing to do. With all the two player only games Intellivision could use an emulator with internet multiplayer play. Biplanes is a popular Intellivision game that is pick-up-and-play but for two players only.

• Like 1

Sn8k, I see your POV, I really do. don't disagree at all. I think some of you others may be a tad hard on Sn8k, but I gotta admire his passion.

I don't think people disagree with them needing some improvements. It was the way he went about it. Bill was way nicer than most of us would have been, and I wouldn't describe the rants as keeping AtGames on their toes. Honestly, well reasoned criticisms would go further than cussing etc.I have only bought the first Sega handheld from AtGames. I liked it for what it was. Could it be better? Sure but it was cheap and fun. I almost picked up an HD Atari and the Atari portable this year because they have come so far. I would be willing to bet that next season I do end up picking one up. With my new interest in the INTV and not owning a CV, I would be interested in a FB for those. I have a feeling it just isn't going to happen soon. They just weren't as popular as the Atari.

• Like 2

I don't think people disagree with them needing some improvements. It was the way he went about it. Bill was way nicer than most of us would have been, and I wouldn't describe the rants as keeping AtGames on their toes. Honestly, well reasoned criticisms would go further than cussing etc. I have only bought the first Sega handheld from AtGames. I liked it for what it was. Could it be better? Sure but it was cheap and fun. I almost picked up an HD Atari and the Atari portable this year because they have come so far. I would be willing to bet that next season I do end up picking one up. With my new interest in the INTV and not owning a CV, I would be interested in a FB for those. I have a feeling it just isn't going to happen soon. They just weren't as popular as the Atari.

I retract some of my statements. Or, at least I'll revise them to say that "in principle, I don't disagree with his intention". Apparently as I skimmed through this thread, I missed some of the mid section of this topic, and It looks like at some point he might've gotten banned, so there seems to be quite a bit that I missed. My intention was that I didn't mind the "nit-picking", but absolutely yes, most definitely do so in a more constructive & professional manner. I don't mind a bit of foul language peppered here & there as long as it's not directed directly at another forum member (which I guess he did unbeknownst to me at the time), & please don't use derogatory slurs or other insensitive speech. I was trying to be easy on him because I wanted to hear his side, I just felt he wasn't winning any allies by being rude. Sometimes if you reach out to a bully instead of backing them into a corner, you can have better success. I never conversed with him before, so I didn't want to chastise him right from the start. I thought maybe he just had a bad day or something?

Cheap & fun is exactly why I buy AtGames stuff. I have almost everything they put out. I'll never (maybe) see their consoles as a replacement for my originals. They are just more convenient when I don't feel like dragging stuff out of boxes or company comes over. Kids think their great too.

• Like 2

Cheap & fun is exactly why I buy AtGames stuff. I have almost everything they put out. I'll never (maybe) see their consoles as a replacement for my originals. They are just more convenient when I don't feel like dragging stuff out of boxes or company comes over. Kids think their great too.

Agreed. AtGames FBs are not supposed to be replacing original equipment. For what they are, they do a pretty good job overall. Could they stand to improve things, sure. From what Bill has stated, it looks like they are trying to do just that. Also, I hope they do another Intellivision FB (and a CVFB, too). I really like what I saw from the first one and hopefully they can do a sequel with even more games loaded onto it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious to know if there is any recent update on a Flashback 2 for either the Intellivision or the Coleco. I own one of each, and thought the Inty version was very good, but of course it could benefit from a wider selection of games - or better yet an SD card slot! (I also like the Coleco, but its selection of games was lacking.)

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1

I'm curious to know if there is any recent update on a Flashback 2 for either the Intellivision or the Coleco. I own one of each, and thought the Inty version was very good, but of course it could benefit from a wider selection of games - or better yet an SD card slot! (I also like the Coleco, but its selection of games was lacking.)

Nothing for this year. Maybe in 2019.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Has there been any movement on the Intellivision Flashback 2? My Intellivision Flashback 1 crapped out yesterday after not even 6 weeks of use (I was playing it for like 4 minutes then it glitched out - must be fried or something). Ugh!!!! :( Clearly the Flashback isn't nearly as durable as the older model Intelliviision Consoles I played as a kid.

I looked at the Atgames website and I didn't see anything about Intellivision Flashback 2. Even more troubling is they listed all the other Flashback games, but not Intellivision. Makes me think they have abandoned it all together? Maybe someone here can shed some light?

Thanks,

Rickster8

• Like 1

I heard that there were talks of a Flashback 2 but it was put on hold for whatever reason. Intellivision Productions is currently working on a new console that will emulate the old games and play new games designed specifically for it. It might be a couple of years before it's available.

You can try posting in the Intellivision subforum requesting an Intellivision flashback circuit board. I think some of the guys there have spare circuit boards that are barely used.

Another option is getting Intellivision controller USB adapters and use your flashback controllers to play Intellivision games on your computer. You can even get an inexpensive computer like a raspberry pi to hook up to your TV.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Hello,

Has there been any movement on the Intellivision Flashback 2? My Intellivision Flashback 1 crapped out yesterday after not even 6 weeks of use (I was playing it for like 4 minutes then it glitched out - must be fried or something). Ugh!!!! :( Clearly the Flashback isn't nearly as durable as the older model Intelliviision Consoles I played as a kid.

I looked at the Atgames website and I didn't see anything about Intellivision Flashback 2. Even more troubling is they listed all the other Flashback games, but not Intellivision. Makes me think they have abandoned it all together? Maybe someone here can shed some light?

Thanks,

Rickster8

We were going to do an HD update at some point, but I think Intellivision Productions will likely want to focus on their own thing. So I wouldn't count on any successor from AtGames.

Hello,

Thanks,

Rickster8

You should check that it isn't just the power supply that's gone bad. Those can be replaced.

We were going to do an HD update at some point, but I think Intellivision Productions will likely want to focus on their own thing. So I wouldn't count on any successor from AtGames.

Hi Bill,

With the new Intellivision console 2 years out ( minimum if ever ). Intellivision Productions may still want to do a deal.

Anyway, I was thinking, the intellivision had the 2600 system changer.

Would it be possible to simply add the Activision etc. 2600 version games to the intellivsion Flashback 2?

I am guessing the emulation is 100% software and not hardware related?

Basically, have the intellivision library and the system changer library. Including the M-Network Games. Dark Caverns is pretty fun etc.

This would be a nice upgrade.

Of course, Bump n Jump etc. would be great additions.

Brand recognition is powerful. Why not get your name out in the public eye and get paid to do it?

Intellivision Productions.... We want an upgraded flashback! With HDMI. Fixed sound and TOD emulation.

At a minimum, add any homebrews that don't need any licensing. And attempted my activision loophole!

I think there are advantages to an AtGames Intellivision Flashback 2 to fill the interim until Intellivision Productions/Intellivision games is ready with their new console.

First, as already noted it keeps the Intellivision brand name alive and out there. Second, it produces a revenue stream for Intellivision Productions that can fund development of their console, or new games for it, or purchase legacy game licenses to include.

Agreed. This and an updated FB would be nice. However, looks like a new Intellivision is the project they are pursuing in lieu of any others.

And I want a digital version of Intellivision Lives for 3DS, updated and fixed with more games. Doesn't mean it's going to happen. ;-)