IGNORED

Mini Saga: Restoring my Childhood 800XL

TangentAudio

Serial Numbers...

7YJ HA 01831 45 3

7YJ HA 01844 45 3

7YJ HA 16923 48 3

I don't know if that tells you anything, or even what the date code of your original one was. But let me know if any of these are in the ball park. The cases are all in very nice condition, just a bit dusty. The 'No Power' one is the cleanest by far, and still has the protective plastic film on the Cart door and only a few very slight scuff marks on the clear plastic bezel on the right (would polish right out). Even the brushed aluminum buttons are in very good condition. Of course any bottom can be swapped with any top. I got these cheap in a lot of 5 for about $20 each. I opened up one of the non-Chelco ones that also said 'No Power' and it was missing about half of it's Atari chips. So I think I'll check out the Chelco one and see if it has the same problem ;) I would be willing to sell you any one of these for $30 which should cover my cost+shipping to you if it'll help get a bit closer to your childhood system's time period.

I like your keyboard solution :thumbsup: ;) It does look some what familiar :ponder:

- Michael

My original is 5th week 1984 : 7YJ HA 54348 5 4

The one I picked up on ebay is 49th week of 1983: 7YJ HA 23865 49 3

So all of yours are a bit older, and most likely all REV A1. I still appreciate the offer, though!

Interesting that if the serial numbers are indeed sequential, they churned out almost 7000 units in around 1-2 weeks time - based on the count from my ebay unit to your newest unit. You also have two made the same week - and most likely the same day, since they are within 13 of each other. :-o Keep that pair together! Or maybe I'm the only one who thinks that's cool.

My original is 5th week 1984 : 7YJ HA 54348 5 4

The one I picked up on ebay is 49th week of 1983: 7YJ HA 23865 49 3

So all of yours are a bit older, and most likely all REV A1. I still appreciate the offer, though!

Interesting that if the serial numbers are indeed sequential, they churned out almost 7000 units in around 1-2 weeks time - based on the count from my ebay unit to your newest unit. You also have two made the same week - and most likely the same day, since they are within 13 of each other. :-o Keep that pair together! Or maybe I'm the only one who thinks that's cool.

7YJ HA 01831 45 3 is the one that I just tested, and appears to work fine except for some keyboard issues (might just need the membrane cleaned). Good point about keeping it and it's brother 7YJ HA 01844 45 3 together, probably not too many people have Atari's in their collection produced so close together.

And yes I too think that's cool :grin:

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if the XL series had internal names like Candy and Colleen did, but based on that history they're probably sisters instead of brothers. :)

Good point! So here's the younger sister's naked motherboard (that sounds a bit nasty, but really wasn't meant to be). And sure enough it is a rev A1 board.

aFfpSha.jpg

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

You've got a nice date stamped on that one - 10 NOV 1983. That confirms the week code on the back: week 45 is Nov 7 - Nov 13, 1983 (from https://www.epochconverter.com/weeks/1983 )

One of the random things I've noticed is some boards have actual resistor packs for RN1-RN4 (next to keyboard connector - I assume these are pullups for the key matrix), while others have discrete resistors. Parts shortages or cost cutting perhaps? I have one Taiwan 800XL and it's got individual resistors, with masking tape on the PCB below them. Both of my Chelco 800XLs have resistor packs. Also of note, I have a Chelco 600XL that has no resistors at the keyboard at all! No footprint for them even.

Also, almost every 800XL I've seen so far has had mixed RAM vendors for some reason. Not always the same two brands from board to board either. Also, many different sources for their mask programmed ROMs - yours seems unusual in that both the OS ROM and the BASIC ROM are from the same vendor.

Edited by TangentAudio
  • Like 1

Also, almost every 800XL I've seen so far has had mixed RAM vendors for some reason. Not always the same two brands from board to board either. Also, many different sources for their mask programmed ROMs - yours seems unusual in that both the OS ROM and the BASIC ROM are from the same vendor.

Really? Both my 800XL have homogenous RAM chips (two different vendors, by the markings). One of mine is a Hong Kong rev A-1 board, the other a later rev Taiwanese board. Interesting, there's no doubt about the date mine was made - it's actually stamped in blue ink along the RF ground strip as "27 Jan 1984." :) My 130XE has a mixed lot of RAM - unfortunately 15 of the 16 chips are the dreaded MT units, one is NEC. It still works though so ... *shrug.*

It's become something of a hobby to see what people put on customs declaration forms when I order various electronics parts from around the world. This time it's "OBSOLETE SWITCHES." I guess that's accurate!

Slowly coming back together!

post-52761-0-08106900-1492472624_thumb.jpg

post-52761-0-58220000-1492473525_thumb.jpg

Edited by TangentAudio
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

Disfrute muchisimo leyendo esta apasionante historia de como volver a su estado original un producto de hace 35 años, darle vida a ese compurtador es darnos vida a nosotros mismos, bien dice el refran "Recordar es Vivir" lo felicito y un saludo desde Colombia...

I enjoy reading this fascinating story of how to return a product of 35 years ago to its original state, to give life to that computer is to give life to ourselves! Well said is the saying, "Remembering is Living"! I congratulate you and a send greetings from Colombia.

Nice. Welcome to our joy and the community.

Edited by _The Doctor__