IGNORED

BBS dial out Catch-All thread

Opry99er

Welp, necro time...

I've moved into a new house in a new state and have a new ISP. There are no copper-line phone companies anymore, so I'll be using Frontier DSL.

As in my last house, I need a phone jack installed in my dungeon. Service technician is coming out Monday.

I've lost my custom Telco diskette, so I get to start from scratch. :) I'm actually excited to go through the journey again. Hopefully, by Tuesday night, I'll be surfing the boards at a blazing 1200 baud. ;)

• Like 1

Welp, necro time...

I've moved into a new house in a new state and have a new ISP. There are no copper-line phone companies anymore, so I'll be using Frontier DSL.

As in my last house, I need a phone jack installed in my dungeon. Service technician is coming out Monday.

I am confuse; request clarification. Does Frontier really suck so badly they offer DSL (which is over copper) on a "dry pair," with no dial-tone??

I am confuse; request clarification. Does Frontier really suck so badly they offer DSL (which is over copper) on a "dry pair," with no dial-tone??

I had Frontier in rural Wisconsin in 2012. The town was mostly legacy copper. We subscribed to DSL only, no voice plan, and it came with a dial tone, 911 out and incoming calls only. Was the last time I used my 1992 "Princess Phone".

Time Warner gave me a quote to bring fiber from the highway into the neighborhood. $17,000 divided amongst us to pass each mailbox, but not to connect to the house. Copper lives on.

• 1 month later...

Just a note for those that may have forgotten or not be aware.

There are three or four Telnet accessible BBS's out there supporting the TI-99/4A and/or Geneve 9640.

By far, the most visited is Heatwave, however there is also Fusion BBS and my own BBS, 9640NEWS. I also know "The Keep" is out there, I just do not know the details so please forgive me. Someone can jump in after this post and add the details if they desire.

Even if you do not have Telnet capability and just have a PC with a web browser, you can still access these three BBS's through a web interface at:

http://9640news.ddns.net:8080

Heatwave is running on Geneve hardware, Fusion under Geneve/MAME emulation, and 9640News under a Windows system. Both Heatwave and Fusion have single line access, however 9640News is presently supporting 20 inbound simultaneous connections.

Each is different and unique. While you may not be able to do an XMODEM transfer to transfer files, etc. across the web interface across, I will say 9640News BBS does have a vast archive of messages from comp.sys.ti, YahooGroups, and elsewhere searchable you may find useful. It also has over 10,000 files online very easily searched so if you are looking for something in the archives, this may help you find the details.

If you got the time, check out the BBS's.

Beery

The KEEP BBS has been online and operational since 1983. We started on a TI-99/4a home computer running software called “TI-Net” (which is ironic, since it never networked to anything) and now we are a 32-channel MULTI-USER Worldgroup 3.13 system. Supporting web, telnet and modem access

You can dial out from my modem as well and access dial up systems such as the hidden reef. Type GO DIALOUT while online.

Http://Thekeep.net

The KEEP currently has one modem online and available 24/7 supporting baud rates up to 38400 baud at

503 646 2407

I have file areas for many classic systems and multiuser online games such as MUDS and trade wars.

Greg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to post a note out there. I know there are not many TI/Geneve users going out of their way to call a BBS via Telnet or land lines through their terminal emulators.

Just a FYI, 9640NEWS BBS, Fusion BBS, and the Heatwave BBS can all be reached from a webpage through a web browser at http://9640news.ddns.net:8080 

There are links on the left side of the page that opens up a new webpage leading to their website, all within the web browser.

I would be curious if Stuart's web browser can handle the BBS webpages if someone would be willing to try.  Best usage would be with a F18 configuration.

Later,

Beery

also a reminder that the Hidden Reef is still out there, the last TI-99/4a BBS running on an actual TI-99/4a, dialup only, but you can telnet through thekeep.net  once you create an account you can (from the main menu) type /GO DIALOUT then D1 to dial.. also you can hit up heatwave with D6 and other systems as well :)

Greg