IGNORED

Question about Joysticks?

FOX2600

were there companies that ever made "replicas" of the CX40 stick (not counting the ones that came with the Atari flashback models)? Particularly in the 90's or 2000's?

I feel reluctant to purchase certain sticks while surfing the web because from what I can see in the sellers pictures, there's just minor things I notice that seem "off" or "different". Maybe it's all in my head, but I just want to make sure because I'm somewhat new to Atari collecting.

Also what's your opinion on the Gemstik? I enjoy the look of it and I'm thinking about getting one.

Pardon my ignorance on the subject in advance and thank you all for the help!

There are mountains upon mountains of reproduction CX-40 joysticks out there, and they vary quite a bit in quality. The Flashback ones are well made and very responsive, though the 4 tabs on the actuator inside them that press the membrane contacts to the PCB tend to snap off after enough use. The reproduction gold PCB upgraded CX-40s from Best Electronics are very nice and built like tanks, but the dome contact for the button on them is a lot stiffer than it probably should be and that makes pressing the button pretty tiring on the thumb in games that require rapid button pressing.

As far as the generic inexpensive Chinese made reproduction CX-40s go, I've never owned one that lasted longer than a week before breaking in one way or another. They may be a little more responsive than the original CX-40s but they're just not built to last in my experience.

I've never used a Gemstick myself but they seem to get mixed reviews around here. Some people love them, some people hate them. If you're looking for an affordable third party joystick I've always liked the Wico Command Control bat top style sticks, but the Suncom TAC-2 and Competition Pro have a great deal of fans as well.

The Wico has old school American arcade leaf spring contacts and is built to an extremely rugged near-arcade standard of quality, but it does have a long throw (the distance you have to move the stick to press the contacts) and can be a bit stiff on the diagonals. The TAC-2 has a very short throw and leaf spring contacts as well, but the stick itself is actuated by a rubber grommet that can be prone to drying out over time and if that happens then the stick will get very stiff and difficult to use. The Competition Pro on the other hand has leaf spring buttons but the joystick is a Japanese style microswitch joystick. Personally I love microswitch joysticks because of the tactile feedback they provide but some people find them too noisy. The only other downsides of the Competition Pro are that the housing on them feels very thin and a little flimsy and the button tension may be too light for some, but it is still a very popular choice.

Lastly, depending on your budget there is always the option to purchase a custom joystick made with real arcade parts. There are a number of people around here who make and sell them (Edladdin, Kosmic Stardust, Wyluli Wolf, and UberArcade are the first that come to mind) and they can run anywhere from $60 to $150+ depending on what parts they're made with, though most people seem to prefer either a Sanwa brand JLF joystick with an octagon gate or a Happ / Industrias Lorenzo brand Competition​ joystick. In either case Happ / Industrias Lorenzo brand concave buttons with 20g microswitches tend to be the most popular arcade button choice for Atari gaming.

Hope that helps! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

again there are TONNAGE of controllers http://mirrors.pdp-11.ru/_atari/2600connection.com/faq/controllers/faq_controllers.html

the Gemstick with the yellow button is a comfortable controller to use, and I think pretty reliable. one I got was in pretty good shape anyways

I haven't tried a TAC-2 yet but only heard all good things

I just want to add to, I love that orange ring around the top of the CX40 stick, but when it's too nice and shiny and claims to be "original", "authentic" or "vintage", makes me nervous lol

there are some that are stilll in great shape , if you can post a pic we could try help verify it's authenticity

• Like 2

I'm late to this and also new to collecting. I got 2 gemsticks with a system and I want rid of them. I have 1 left. Pay me the shipping and it's yours. The were both fails. If you want my opinion, get your controllers, then get the gold plated CX40 PCB from Best Electronics. I just got 3 today, and fixed 2 controllers with them. First impression = pretty damn amazing. One was not fixed. It wouldn't move right (and still won't) and I think it's the white plastic part in side the handle. Also, look for the "ATARI" on the plug in.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/CX40_REBUILD%20KIT.htm#CX40

I stole this off someone's e-bay auction... don't tell...

post-52595-0-31827600-1491275692_thumb.png

• 1 year later...