IGNORED

Getting A8 Online with Lantronix and 850 Interface

Had a chance to check out your site tonight - very cool! I hope to spend some time in the coming weeks poking around some more. Tons of fun (and yes long-time ICE-T users, I know I ought to connect to an S-video/Y-C monitor but I don't happen to have one handy quite yet - working on it. :) ).

attachicon.gifSTBBS.jpg

CRT baby! Whoooooo!

• 2 weeks later...

hmm.. i have new DB9-D25 cable, but lantronix doesnt work..

ICE-T doesnt work

using RVERTER.HND, latest ice-t.. MSS100 with latest firm, reseted, working.. and rverter

Edited by w1k

...that feeling when, against all odds, the local computer store does have a 25 to 25 Null Modem adaptor in stock, so it looks like tomorrow should be an excellent day...

Actually it's not against all odds... The "local guys" have tons of backstock they are desperate to off load. I had a computer business in the mid 90's to mid 00's and you wouldn't believe the pile of junk we had. Got rid of a lot of it when the business closed and my business partner and I (who had moved in together to save money back when we still had the stupid idea we could save the business) went our separate ways.... but there is a local store around here I still go to and buy stuff out of their junk pile (things I didn't have in my junk pile)... Lots of old school SCSI stuff, connectors, convertors, drives, etc. etc. etc.

If you're looking for a BBS to call....

bbs.sfhqbbs.org port 5983.... The last Atari ST BBS on Fidonet. ;) (... and it runs on an actual Atari Mega 4 STE).

Just post here if you have any issues.

• Like 1

Actually it's not against all odds... The "local guys" have tons of backstock they are desperate to off load. I had a computer business in the mid 90's to mid 00's and you wouldn't believe the pile of junk we had. Got rid of a lot of it when the business closed and my business partner and I (who had moved in together to save money back when we still had the stupid idea we could save the business) went our separate ways.... but there is a local store around here I still go to and buy stuff out of their junk pile (things I didn't have in my junk pile)... Lots of old school SCSI stuff, connectors, convertors, drives, etc. etc. etc.

The most fun part was that neither the owner nor his son knew they had it - I found it buried behind a few USB cables, 9 to 25 adaptors and other things, in a dusty plastic bag.

Mine's not nearly as compact as Sugarland's, though. Tomorrow I have to set up a router as a repeater down with my Ataris, since everything else is on WiFi now...

I have been to the fleets yards with these ships....

mss100 <_/

uds10 </

uds100 <_/

uds 2100 </

eds 1100 <_/

all worked perfectly, the universal translator must be finely tuned....

I wonder why so many other boards don't make a connection but if I sync term or straight up telnet most work... there's just a pesky few that don't want to co-operate

• Like 1

I have been to the fleets yards with these ships....

mss100 <_/

uds10 </

uds100 <_/

uds 2100 </

eds 1100 <_/

all worked perfectly, the universal translator must be finely tuned....

I wonder why so many other boards don't make a connection but if I sync term or straight up telnet most work... there's just a pesky few that don't want to co-operate

When you say "so many other boards" are you talking about the Atari ones, or just in general?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys - bumping up an older thread here because I'm having a Lantronix issue.

I accidentally fried my MSS100 last weekend. It had been unplugged as I moved stuff around and when I went to power it back up, I accidentally plugged in the dangerously-similar plug of the Atari 9VAC plug for my 1200XL which was right there. D'oh! Sparks and hilarity ensued. Fortunately it didn't damage anything else.

So I got a replacement MSS100 a couple days ago. This one is a year or so newer than the old one, if that makes any difference. I did a factory reset when I powered it up, plugged it into the LAN and then connected to it via ICE-T. I set set privilege status, set modem emulation successfully (CHANGE MODEM EMULATION ENABLED) and set the modem emulation startup character to "A" as the manual indicates (CHANGE AUTOSTART CHARACTER "A") and didn't get errors with either of those. So far so good.

But when I try to enter an AT command, even the AT? help command, it doesn't work. It stays at the Local command prompt.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

EDITED TO ADD I AM A MORON! :)

I power-cycled the Lantronix, rebooted the Atari and then as soon as I connected via ICE-T, it’s working as expected. Jeez. I’m leaving up evidence of my idiocy as a lesson to others in case someone ever runs into a similar issue. Power cycling cures a lot of ills.

Actually, it's good you resurrected this. Since there is a resurgence going on...... I'd frankly rather not go through this again.

(especially since everyone wants to call the A8 boards and never gives us ST SysOps any love) :P

(j/k... sorta)

Actually, it's good you resurrected this. Since there is a resurgence going on...... I'd frankly rather not go through this again.

(especially since everyone wants to call the A8 boards and never gives us ST SysOps any love) :P

(j/k... sorta)

I was gonna go onto your board tonight but I can't find my login info easily - I thought I had taken screenshots with my phone last time but I can't find them off-hand. Next time ... :)

I'm not really familiar with any sub-models. The main difference (like I told you on your BBS just now)... If you want to dial out with a domain name, go with a MSS 100... but for the BBS (that takes incoming calls only) go with a UDS-10 or 1100.

If you're going to use an SIO2PC for storage, you probably can use it for your telnet connection as well. Use the MSS for calling out on your other machine.

Of course, this all comes down to price. If you can get an MSS100 for the same price as a UDS-10, go for it!

• 2 weeks later...